Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hindus and the Race Question

Hindus and the Race Question

Namaste,

Is race a issue for you?
    Are you proud of your race?
    Do you feel kinship for other humans of hindu race?
    When you look at hindu faces do you consider them your brothers just because of their race?
    Are you "diffident" of white,negroe and mongol people?

What has hinduism with race?
    "[I]O Indra, lead us on the path of Rta, on the right path over all evils[/I]."
    [SIZE=1]--RV 10.133.6[/SIZE]

[B]When i look into the mirror i see india, the land of aryans, the craddle of civilization, the mother of all religions.[/B]

Re: Hindus and the Race Question

Is race a issue for you?
    Nope, within or without the context of religion.
    Are you proud of your race?
    I'm not sure what race I am. I think, like, perhaps, most people, I see myself as a human being first.
    Do you feel kinship for other humans of hindu race?
    I don't think being Hindu (an adherent of Sanatana Dharma) has anything to do with race. I feel kinship with people of different religions, in the broader sense.

When you look at hindu faces do you consider them your brothers just because of their race?
    This is not a particularly answerable question. I will say that I feel more of a kinship when I'm with Hindus, than perhaps when I'm outside and just associating with arbitrary people. But, I want to move past that and see the God in everyone. But, race doesn't enter into this equation. I'm not a Hare Krishna, but I visit a local Hare Krishna temple for the sake of convenience and there are plenty of African-Americans and whites, who all share our bhakti for Lord Krishna.

What has hinduism with race?
    I don't think the practice of Hinduism has anything to do with race. Sanatana Dharma generally translates into the eternal and universal truth. So, it has to apply to everyone. I know that most practitioners of Hinduism are from the Indian subcontinent, but that has more to do with the fact that Hindus generally don't proselytize and propagate their beliefs to the extent that some of the other religions do. But, historically, there have been Hindu kingdoms, who through trade and expansion, have spread Hinduism to other parts of South Asia. Bali, even though it's situated in now Muslim Indonesia, for example, is still overwhelmingly Hindu. And you'll find many surviving temples from Laos to Malaysia.

Quote Originally Posted by indianx View Post
    I'm not a Hare Krishna, but I visit a local Hare Krishna temple for the sake of convenience and there are plenty of African-Americans and whites, who all share our bhakti for Lord Krishna.

If i find a Krishna temple, i may visit it. I serve Lord Krishna =
    Lord Kris(t) hna and then i will be among hindus. What Hare Krishnas exactly do? How they worship, what they believe? I believe there is only ONE god and he is KRIST = KRISHNA.... The hindus knew about KRISHNA = KRIST, the ONE GOD!!! I could google but its more interesting to here it from a adherent himself.

[B]When i look into the mirror i see india, the land of aryans, the craddle of civilization, the mother of all religions.[/B]

Exclamation Re: Hindus and the Race Question

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    If i find a Krishna temple, i may visit it. I serve Lord Krishna =
    Lord Kris(t) hna and then i will be among hindus. What Hare Krishnas exactly do? How they worship, what they believe? I believe there is only ONE god and he is KRIST = KRISHNA.... The hindus knew about KRISHNA = KRIST, the ONE GOD!!! I could google but its more interesting to here it from a adherent himself.
    krist is not equal to krishna.
    please read gita or mahabharat and compare it to bible,
    in gita he talks about karma. but in bible jesus, didn't talked about any thing about karma.
    virtulay, all the avtar of vishnu has talked about karma.

Quote Originally Posted by dhruva023 View Post
    krist is not equal to krishna.
    please read gita or mahabharat and compare it to bible,
    in gita he talks about karma. but in bible jesus, didn't talked about any thing about karma.
    virtulay, all the avtar of vishnu has talked about karma.
    Can you please explain karma.... i know i could google but its more fun to learn it from others on a forum...

Dear Indra,

I don't qualify to explain the karma, because i haven't read or studied enough, but i will try my best.

In chapter 4 of gita, keshav says, there are 3 type of karma,
    Akarma, Karma, and Sakarma.
    Akarma is when a person do something for himself that hard others around him. (*Samaj (Sanskrit Word )).
    Karma is when a person do something for his selfness, it is not harming other.
    Sakarma is when a person do something which will help others. (Samaj)

In short
    There are many responsiblity that you hold when you born as a human on earth. Following those responsiblity in propar way is Karma.

*Samaj: Samaj means the living things around you, including animals and Plants.

Please correct my undestanding if i am wrong by any mean.

Can you please explain karma.... i know i could google but its more fun to learn it from others on a forum...
    Namaste Indra,

Karma means "action". The theory "Karma" says that "whatever we do gives birth to whatever happens to us" --- i.e. getting birth in a good or bad family/body/environment, talent, chances in life etc. ! Your present condition is because of your past karmas & your future condition will depend upon your present karmas. One karma creates conditions for another karma & this constitues an infinite cycle. We can't get rid of karmas until we get enlightenment or become Jnani. Till that time, there is no way stopping karmas & its giving births to further karmas & so on ... Only when "you" "attain" "Knowledge" .... all karmas are destroyed & the being (which you call as "I" ) becomes free from bondage of this world/re-births & the laws of karmas.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Exclamation Re: Hindus and the Race Question

Quote Originally Posted by indianx View Post
    I don't think being Hindu (an adherent of Sanatana Dharma) has anything to do with race.
    In theory – yes. In actual practice in India – it has.
    If a white person tries to enter main shrines of several temples (mostly south Indian), he may not be allowed because of his skin color, although the sign simply says "Non-Hindus not allowed". Even if this white person puts on Hindu dress, tilaka, says he/she is Hindu and behaves as one. Requirement for being allowed is a certificate of being a Hindu! I wonder how one may get a certificate from some authentic Guru who has no ashram and stuff... At the same time such "certificate" can be easily bought for a small baqshish from numerous "swAmis" and "bAbAs" for whom Hinduism is a business. Nothing of this sort can happen, say, in a church...

Last time i visited Kapalishvara in Madras i had to show a paper from a friend of my Guru to get a pass...

Namaskar devotee,

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    ... Only when "you" "attain" "Knowledge" .... all karmas are destroyed & the being (which you call as "I" ) becomes free from bondage of this world/re-births & the laws of karmas.

OM
    If that happens what happens then with the conscious respectively "I"? Does the "I" enter a sort of heaven or does our existence blows out?

If that happens what happens then with the conscious respectively "I"? Does the "I" enter a sort of heaven or does our existence blows out?
    Namaste Indra,

"I" (better to write as "i') as a separate independent entity doesn't exist ! What you think is "I" is basically "maya" (illusion). Now, here, "illusion" doesn't mean that it doesn't exist .... it doesn't exist the way we think "we know it" ! The Reality is just ONE without a second. All differences are illusion within the realm of mind.

If you want to know more, I would recommend you to read Books on Advait or Non-duality. You may also read Upanishads.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information