Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Art of Living Program

Art of Living Program

I would like to hear the opinions of those who are familiar with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's Art of Living program that is mainly focused on Kriya Yoga. Their website is at http://www.artofliving.org/

I took the course a couple of years ago and found it to be very interesting although I haven't kept the practice up. The program seems bonafide but I object to the program operates like a business by charging money for pretty much everything and in often excessive amounts. I am curious to know what other people think including pros and cons that people have experienced. Namaskaar. ~BYS~

Re: Art of Living Program

Yes. This is a good program. I did the advanced course in Germany this year in June.
    Although I practice Kriya yog too, but I'm not essentially an Art of living devotee etc.
    I've met Sri Sri Ravi Shankar on a few occassions and talked to him.

As part of the after course celebration celebrating SriSri Anniversary, we were offered a boat ride on the river that costed 300 Euros !!! The ride included going to the river outside the city by bus, a 10 minutes meditation and lunch. Still this is very expensive I think. There were people from Londond and other places who were of the same opinion. Cost for the course was about 160Euros if I can remember correctly.
    Yes the costs are high indeed. But the program is good. And most attending members are usually people from upper class of society. People who are influential, wealthy and travel internationaly. I don't really see poor people who can get in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhakti Yoga Seeker
    I would like to hear the opinions of those who are familiar with Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's Art of Living program that is mainly focused on Kriya Yoga. Their website is at http://www.artofliving.org/

I took the course a couple of years ago and found it to be very interesting although I haven't kept the practice up. The program seems bonafide but I object to the program operates like a business by charging money for pretty much everything and in often excessive amounts. I am curious to know what other people think including pros and cons that people have experienced. Namaskaar. ~BYS~

the program of Art of Living is commercial and quite primitive - that is not kriya yoga like Yogananda tradition or Satyananda.... Ravi Shankar teachs well known in every hatha yoga school bhastrika breathing and call it very secret and advanced sudarshan kriya

my mother is doing the basic course which teaches some pranayams and sudarshan kriya and just by the 2nd day she says, she now knows what she really is and felt the feeling of pure I ~ "I am within Me" sort of feeling. At the end of the kriya she also cud feel the smell of chandana and honey around her !!!

My mom is not particularly spiritual. She went, cause by sister who actually enrolled fell ill, as a replacement.

Also from little description of what is done in the course, it certainly doesn't sound like "primitive" bhastrika pranayam.

Now I must do this program as my skeptic mind is suspecting hallucinative techniques being used. It is rather queer that most (almost all) who do the program regardless of their spiritual inclination turn out as yogis in a day or 2 ~ like my local daily reporting yesterday the case of a dozen rowdies in Hyderabad who have become social worker after doing the program, performing regular annadanam in their areas rather than looting people which they are more used to.

Whatever this program is, it is certainly not standard and has a deep psychic effect.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

This is cool! I think I need this one.
    I'm new in Yoga and I think this will help me that much.
    Last edited by satay; 04 March 2008 at 11:32 PM. Reason: Promotion of other sites is against the rules

Ravi shanker's fortes are

(a) knowledge of sanskrit,
    (b) some yogic techniques and
    (c) some siddhis & healing powers.

Do not get carried away by him.
    Be receptive to any thing good that he or any body else has to offer.

"the program of Art of Living is commercial and quite primitive - that is not kriya yoga like Yogananda tradition or Satyananda.... Ravi Shankar teachs well known in every hatha yoga school bhastrika breathing and call it very secret and advanced sudarshan kriya" - Vishaara

I agree with the above statement of Vishara. A decade back I attended the program on a purely voluntary basis. No money was asked for. We used to pool some money for the teacher for meeting his bus charges!
    The kriyas taught are not very special.

Now the sense of service is lost and it is only a money spinning organisation! Many persons who have attended his porgrams are disillusioned with the claims made.

Namaste,

You may also be interested in the Self realization Fellowship courses. They are really affordable. I am starting soon (waiting for the first package with basic meditation instructions). After a year you have the choice of being initiated into Kriya yoga and to have a Guru-disciple relationship.

-juan

I do not think i got as much out of it as I would have liked. My class visited the Art of Living center in Trivandum a few weeks ago and everyone wanted to do the Art of Living courses. It was really hard at first we did the courses for four days and had to start at 6:30 in the morning. The yoga was intense because i was not used to kneeling for so long. We participated in different activities that were suppose to give us new insight into life. After every session the instructor had us write down questions for homework. I would have liked to try it again with a little more focus but the whole "SOOO KAAAM" exercise was a little much for us. But i would give it a shot again. I got a certificate saying i completed the course i would do all four classes but im kind of skeptical. I dont think i would benefit but its worth a shot.
    "My spiritual father is Swami Vivekananda" Canibus

Thread Information