Thread: PRAYER

PRAYER

Sunday, May 11, 2008
    I put myself following questions about chanting some Mantra or Praying:
    If I chant certain words in certain way does God get pleased and give me the boon I was requesting like we hear in the ancient stories?
    Does Prayer mean to give God list of things I want, like a small child asking Santa Clause, I have been a good Boy all along ?
    How good my prayers have to be good enough for God to answer them? Do I need to say right words or mantras or perform certain ritual or actions?
    Do I have to praise Him with flowery words? Does He need our flattery? Is it my main intention to appease Him and be in good terms with Him?
    How often I need to pray? 3 times? 5 times? Morning ? evening?
    When I do not get my prayers or mantras answered, does that mean God does not hear or is He selective, only to some He answers?
    A man going to an interview for a job, he stops at a shrine and prays. If he does not get the job, does that mean he did not pray enough?
    A woman, whose husband is dying of terminal heart trouble, sincerely prays and performs all kinds of poojas. Her husband still dies leaving her and small children. Does this mean she wasted her time?
    Is it a case of the emperor’s new clothes where we find the religion boring and irrelevant but is too polite or hypocritical to admit it?
    If our past Karma is the reason for present suffering, I do not know how a Mantra or a prayer or a ritual can undo whatever the damage has already done.

After some internal and external search I came with the following answers to my own satisfaction.
    Prayer is an experience of being in the presence of God, an encounter with God. It makes me change the way I see or perceive my life.
    I love congregational worship, congregation is more important than the words I speak. In coming together I found we create the mood and the moment in which God is present. Only when people enter a sanctuary with a mood of reverence, the place becomes “Holy”, otherwise it is dark and empty. Congregation with my active participation unlike watching a good movie, makes me to come out of isolation and individuality and makes me part of a greater whole.

Prayer reminds me to be grateful, thanking for all the things I have. It reminds me not to take anything in this life granted, it reminds me of people going hungry or not having some basic comforts I have. It reminds me of people behind the scene in making and bringing the food or material I enjoy.
    I do not about you; Gratitude did not come naturally to me. I tend to assume that I was entitled to all the good things in life just for being nice. Over the years I learned to be more grateful. I am making a habit of consistently saying and writing “Thank You “to everyone who makes a difference in my life. This includes Thank you note in the checks I write to the utility companies for keeping my house warm, phone companies to stay in touch with family and friends, to revenue service to live in this country and enjoy the freedom I have etc...
    There is reassurance of the knowledge that I am not alone. God is with me in my fear and uncertainty to help make uncertain future less frightening. There is no need to feel alone and helpless.
    To the woman who is losing her husband, I am not sure God will save him from death but the answer would be not to feel alone, friends and relatives will be calling or even visiting, praying for them and offering help to her.
    To the man who is not going to get the job he desired, by praying he can receive the gift of resiliency and self respect if does not have it. If he does get the job, the prayer can help him gain sense of humility. In both ways he can be thankful.
    In Prayer I come to terms of my limitation. Modern knowledge and technologies have removed most of the difficulties, and I almost thought I can be anything and do anything with absolutely no limitations. As I grew older and experienced more, I have found more limitations than I ever thought. I used to blame myself for not accomplishing something because I used to feel that it was my own fault for not trying hard enough. Now I realize in prayer I can overcome the illusion of self sufficiency, become humble and confess my dependency. At times my mind wanders and asks me “You fool what you are doing? To whom do you think you are speaking?” It used to be hard to overcome my intellectual hesitations in praying. Now I am almost getting over that hump. Self sufficiency that believes on my own strength and intelligence is an illusion now. I can never be satisfied on my own as there will be constant struggle for advancement and advantage, having the pressure of winning always, look good to others and impress them.
    My prayer would be humbly giving Thanks.
    In God’s presence I get confidence, courage insight, inspiration and patience.
    Thank you for reading my thoughts.

Re: PRAYER

Wonderful post, vcindiana.
    Thank you.

However, it brings up the question, "who do we pray to"?

From my experience, prayers, chanting, transcendental singing as in kirtans, this inner spark or divine consciousness is waken up.
    Om purnam adah, purnam idam, purnat purnam udacyate; purnasya purnam adaya purnam evavasisyate.
    Om Santih! Santih! Santih!

Re: PRAYER

Quote Originally Posted by vcindiana View Post
    Sunday, May 11, 2008
    I put myself following questions about chanting some Mantra or Praying:
    If I chant certain words in certain way does God get pleased and give me the boon I was requesting like we hear in the ancient stories?
    Does Prayer mean to give God list of things I want, like a small child asking Santa Clause, I have been a good Boy all along ?
    How good my prayers have to be good enough for God to answer them? Do I need to say right words or mantras or perform certain ritual or actions?
    Do I have to praise Him with flowery words? Does He need our flattery? Is it my main intention to appease Him and be in good terms with Him?
    How often I need to pray? 3 times? 5 times? Morning ? evening?
    When I do not get my prayers or mantras answered, does that mean God does not hear or is He selective, only to some He answers?
    A man going to an interview for a job, he stops at a shrine and prays. If he does not get the job, does that mean he did not pray enough?
    A woman, whose husband is dying of terminal heart trouble, sincerely prays and performs all kinds of poojas. Her husband still dies leaving her and small children. Does this mean she wasted her time?
    Is it a case of the emperor’s new clothes where we find the religion boring and irrelevant but is too polite or hypocritical to admit it?
    If our past Karma is the reason for present suffering, I do not know how a Mantra or a prayer or a ritual can undo whatever the damage has already done.

After some internal and external search I came with the following answers to my own satisfaction.
    Prayer is an experience of being in the presence of God, an encounter with God. It makes me change the way I see or perceive my life.
    I love congregational worship, congregation is more important than the words I speak. In coming together I found we create the mood and the moment in which God is present. Only when people enter a sanctuary with a mood of reverence, the place becomes “Holy”, otherwise it is dark and empty. Congregation with my active participation unlike watching a good movie, makes me to come out of isolation and individuality and makes me part of a greater whole.

Prayer reminds me to be grateful, thanking for all the things I have. It reminds me not to take anything in this life granted, it reminds me of people going hungry or not having some basic comforts I have. It reminds me of people behind the scene in making and bringing the food or material I enjoy.
    I do not about you; Gratitude did not come naturally to me. I tend to assume that I was entitled to all the good things in life just for being nice. Over the years I learned to be more grateful. I am making a habit of consistently saying and writing “Thank You “to everyone who makes a difference in my life. This includes Thank you note in the checks I write to the utility companies for keeping my house warm, phone companies to stay in touch with family and friends, to revenue service to live in this country and enjoy the freedom I have etc...
    There is reassurance of the knowledge that I am not alone. God is with me in my fear and uncertainty to help make uncertain future less frightening. There is no need to feel alone and helpless.
    To the woman who is losing her husband, I am not sure God will save him from death but the answer would be not to feel alone, friends and relatives will be calling or even visiting, praying for them and offering help to her.
    To the man who is not going to get the job he desired, by praying he can receive the gift of resiliency and self respect if does not have it. If he does get the job, the prayer can help him gain sense of humility. In both ways he can be thankful.
    In Prayer I come to terms of my limitation. Modern knowledge and technologies have removed most of the difficulties, and I almost thought I can be anything and do anything with absolutely no limitations. As I grew older and experienced more, I have found more limitations than I ever thought. I used to blame myself for not accomplishing something because I used to feel that it was my own fault for not trying hard enough. Now I realize in prayer I can overcome the illusion of self sufficiency, become humble and confess my dependency. At times my mind wanders and asks me “You fool what you are doing? To whom do you think you are speaking?” It used to be hard to overcome my intellectual hesitations in praying. Now I am almost getting over that hump. Self sufficiency that believes on my own strength and intelligence is an illusion now. I can never be satisfied on my own as there will be constant struggle for advancement and advantage, having the pressure of winning always, look good to others and impress them.
    My prayer would be humbly giving Thanks.
    In God’s presence I get confidence, courage insight, inspiration and patience.
    Thank you for reading my thoughts.
    Namaste VC,

In fact, I thank you for letting us read your beautiful thoughts. I was reminded of a teaching of Mandukya Upanishad :"He is beyond bargain" and also of Rig Veda "What shall be sing to Rudra that Aditi, Varuna, Mitra will fulfill all needs?"

IMO, God being the innermost, will know of a bargain prayer before the mind decides to pray. OTOH, a pure loving prayer, devoid of bargain, ensures fulfillment of all genuine needs through prakritic agencies.

Thanks

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 13 May 2008 at 02:30 AM. Reason: To add a comment
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thread Information