Thread: Define Indians and Non-Indians

Define Indians and Non-Indians

What is a indian and what is a non-indian? Is it just aperson who holds indian citizenship or is it about bloodline? What is with a person who is in his origins/bloodline indian but dont hold indian citizenship, is not born in india and was never in india and dont speak one of the indian languages? Or a person who is non-indian by birth but holds indian citizenship and lives in india, for example a englishman in india with indian citizenship. Who is a indian? Are pakistanis indians as well? They seem to be of indian blood. Whats with a roma who wants to assocciate with indians, romas are from the indian subcontinent (punjab) and they look like indians and the romani language is similar to sanskrit. I look like a indian (watch my profile pic), im of indian bloodline, but im outside of india, born outside of india, never was in india dont speak a indian language (not even romani language), dont hold indian citizenship etc.... Am i still indian? Im of indian origin and want to associate with indians.
    "[I]O Indra, lead us on the path of Rta, on the right path over all evils[/I]."
    [SIZE=1]--RV 10.133.6[/SIZE]

[B]When i look into the mirror i see india, the land of aryans, the craddle of civilization, the mother of all religions.[/B]

Re: Define Indians and Non-Indians

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    What is a indian and what is a non-indian? Is it just aperson who holds indian citizenship or is it about bloodline? What is with a person who is in his origins/bloodline indian but dont hold indian citizenship, is not born in india and was never in india and dont speak one of the indian languages? Or a person who is non-indian by birth but holds indian citizenship and lives in india, for example a englishman in india with indian citizenship. Who is a indian? Are pakistanis indians as well? They seem to be of indian blood. Whats with a roma who wants to assocciate with indians, romas are from the indian subcontinent (punjab) and they look like indians and the romani language is similar to sanskrit. I look like a indian (watch my profile pic), im of indian bloodline, but im outside of india, born outside of india, never was in india dont speak a indian language (not even romani language), dont hold indian citizenship etc.... Am i still indian? Im of indian origin and want to associate with indians.
    Namaste Indra,

Your questions have not one answer because here so many issues are involved & there are many terms used apart from "Indian".

1. Indian means a person having Indian citizenship.
    2. Non-resident Indian ==> It means an Indian who doesn't normally reside in India but has Indian Citizenship. It is permissible for an NRI to have dual citizenship i.e. a person can have U.S. citizenship as well as Indian citizenship.
    3. Person of Indian Origin ===> Person who doesn't have Indian Citizenship but his parents/fore-fathers are/were from India

Now, it is important to understand that Indians will like to assciate the word Indian (in whatever form) with only those people who have friendly attitude with India. Therefore, though all Pakistanis are of Indian Origin they are not called so as there is a long history of animosity between India & Pakistan.

Romas are cetainly people of Indian Origin historically. Indians have a feeling of brotherhood towards Roma people. And it is from both sides i.e. Romas do declare themselves to be originally from India.

There may be many Persons of Indian Origin who migrated long back from India & cannot speak Hindi or any other Indian Language. Moreover, India, as you know, is a land of diversity & we speak many languages. So, language is not at all a factor.

I hope it clarifies your doubts.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thumbs Up Re: Define Indians and Non-Indians

Namaskar devotee,

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post

Romas are cetainly people of Indian Origin historically. Indians have a feeling of brotherhood towards Roma people. And it is from both sides i.e. Romas do declare themselves to be originally from India.
    Long Live Indian Brotherhood around the Globe!

Thanks for your answer.
    "[I]O Indra, lead us on the path of Rta, on the right path over all evils[/I]."
    [SIZE=1]--RV 10.133.6[/SIZE]

[B]When i look into the mirror i see india, the land of aryans, the craddle of civilization, the mother of all religions.[/B]

Re: Define Indians and Non-Indians

I have never been to India but I have been struck by how very different Indian people I have met can look from each other. I have met some who are as white as Europeans, some very dark skinned and all shades in between. Others (from the Naga Lands) who look distinctly mongoloid and others with a wide diversity of facial characteristics.

I would hate to have to define 'exactly' what is /is not an Indian.

Thread Information