Thread: Praising Rahu

Praising Rahu

OM Ram Rahave Namah.
    satay

Re: Praising Rahu

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    OM Ram Rahave Namah.
    Namaste satay,

I have slight doubt over this mantra. If I remember correctly, it should be "OM Ran ( pronounced as "rung") Rahave Namah".

Pl. correct me, if I am wrong !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste,
    let me offer what little I know on this...rahu¹ bija mantra is as what was offered.
    ram rahuve namah

There is another also
    Om brahm bhrim bhroum sah rahuve namah

Yet for me, if rahu is causing mischief, then there is another consideration. If there are things that bind you (bandha) there are 3 types – Vira, Naga and Ahi bandha. I mention this as naga bandha is associated with rahu. And what of that? With this bandha a person is cheated or falsely accused.

It is said that the best remedy for this is Sri Ram’s mantra. Sri Ram’s taraka mantra is rum ramaya namaha. It starts with vahni¹ bejakshara rum (rm). Vahni वह्नि is fire , agni, the seed syllable of agni, which brings purification. by adding Om at the beginning, the mantra then becomes an 8 syallabled mantra and influences the 8th house ( of ones birth chart)

Now others say the taraka mantra is Om Ramaya Namaha. This is fine, yet it is the notion of my teacher that we use rum, the bija of agni, as the 1st syllable. I am sure there are debates on this matter. I pass along what I was taught. One cannot go wrong with agni is my orientation.

pranams

Words used
    • vahni वह्नि - the conveyer or bearer of oblations to the devata; agni; of the number 'three' (frrom the three sacred fires);to hallow or make sacred by fire , burn solemnly
    • rahu ( rAhu or rāhu) राहु - the seizer ;who is supposed to seize the sun and moon and thus cause eclipses; when the gods had churned the ocean for the nectar of immortality , rāhu disguised himself as one of them and drank a portion. The Sun and Moon revealed the fraud , which lead to rāhu's head being. The two parts then became the nodes, rāhu and ketu and fixed in the skyin . Becoming immortal through drinking the nector rāhu has ever since offered his vengeance on the Sun and Moon by swallowing them i.e the eclipses.
    Last edited by yajvan; 22 May 2008 at 03:18 PM. Reason: spelling
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Post Re: Praising Rahu

Quote Originally Posted by Yajvan

Sri Rams taraka mantra is rum ramaya namaha. It starts with vahni bejakshara rum (rm).

rahu bija mantra was offered: ram rahuve namah

There is another also: Om brahm bhrim bhroum sah rahuve namah

The taraka mantra is Om Ramaya Namaha.

This is fine, yet it is the notion of my teacher that we use rum, the bija of agni, as the 1st syllable.

I am sure there are debates on this matter. I pass along what I was taught. One cannot go wrong with agni is my orientation.
    Namaste Yajvan,

Please note that a ~ ~ and u ~ ~ are different letters. And raM ~ रं ~ and ruM ~ रुं ~ are different seeds, with different fruits:
    • ra or raM is the agni bIja ~ indicating fire, heat, brightness, splendor, love, desire, or speed, with the implication of granting, bestowing, effecting, acquiring, or possessing. And ram means to stop, stay, make fast or set at rest, to calm, delight, make happy, or enjoy.

• While the syllable ru (and thus ruM) means to roar, bellow, howl, or yelp, to cry aloud, sing (as birds), or hum (as bees), to break or dash to pieces, to kill, to be angry, or to speak, indicating sound, noise, fear, alarm, war, battle, cutting or dividing.

As noted in another thread [ http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2660 ] the standard mantras for rAma and rAhu are as follows:

ओं रं रामाय नमः

oṁ raṁ rāmāya namaḥ
    oM raM rAmAya namaH

ओं रं राहवे नमः

oṁ raṁ rāhave namaḥ
    oM raM rAhave namaH

And the tAntrika rAhu mantram is more correctly given as:

ओं भ्रं भ्रीं भ्रौं सः राहवे नमः

oṁ bhraṁ bhrīṁ bhrauṁ saḥ rāhave namaḥ
    oM bhraM bhrIM bhrauM saH rAhave namaH

Hari Om