Thread: Puranas according Gunas?

Puranas according Gunas?

Namaste!
    I saw some article about Vedic scriptures, and author wrote that Puranas could be classified according Gunas - Vishnu puranas are sattvic, Shaiva puranas are rajasic and Shakta puranas are tamasic... Of course, autor (western) was from ISCON. Is it idea of modern gaudia vaishnavas (Prabhupada ?) or such classification really exists in some traditional scriptures?

Re: Puranas according Gunas?

nobody knows... i read on one russian forum, that such definition exists only in Padma Purana and this is addition maybe was made by gaudiya vaishanvas in 16-17 century

Re: Puranas according Gunas?

nobody knows... i read on one russian forum, that such definition exists only in Padma Purana and this is addition maybe was made by gaudiya vaishanvas in 16-17 century
    Yes, outside of Padma Purana, and other sectarian Vaishnava texts this classification of Puranas does not exist.

Thumbs Up Re: Puranas according Gunas?

apart from padma purana even in skanda purana, matsya purana, kurma purana - puranas are classified into three - satva, rajas, tamas. since non-vaishnavas dont have heart to accept the truth, they are rejecting the classification lines quoted in their own puranas.

moreover if you read satvic puranas, its mean theme is devotion, yoga and liberation. whereas rajasic and tamasic puranas main theme is centered around getting desired things wanted from various gods. Most of the desires are materialistic. thats why its categorized like that.

Of course even in rajasic and tamasic puranas - some portions match the content of satvic puranas. such contents can be followed. not all contents.

Thread Information