Thread: My Wise Brother

My Wise Brother

Dear Friends,

I thought of sharing the following.

My younger brother, 6 years my junior is smart. In olden days, we used to use a hand pump for drawing water. My brother had a special way of doing it. Very often he would pump with one hand and a few small kids would massage his free hand. Or often he would just stand and watch the kids pump out water for him in turns. At other times also, these kids would give him sursuri (caress) while he enjoyed the care, lying down with half closed eyes and guiding then from time to time as to which part of his body next needed attention. He was just 12 or 13 year old. I used to wonder how he managed such devotion from children day after day. I asked him. He said "I give a tofee to the winner."

This remembrance makes my heart lighter. We all compete for such tofees most of our life. Nirlipt Shiva smiles.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Re: My Wise Brother

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste atanu,

a very nice story indeed.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Friends, the same brother imparts me a wisdom again.

I was seeking solace from him. I told my brother "Bhai, God has made my experience of last 20-25 years useless, throwing me into a brand new cut-throat situation where I am like a child out of womb with an unknown universe around. Moreover, I have no inclination to learn the tricks of this new trade. I see cars and people whizzing past me from left and right. I fear continuously of being scraped.

Moreover, I am doing nothing and just fretting. I feel restless, utterly incompetent, and devoid of confidence."

My brother said "You are doing nothing. That means you are resting and relaxing. A wonderful thing to do."

Om

Guru is all around. My elder daughter told me a story.

She was snoozing when she felt that someone was poking her on her palm. Later when she went to wash her face, she found a most sweet cartoon face drawn on her palm. Knowing that such impromptu drawing can come from her sister only, she asked her who that cartoon face was supposed to be? The younger one replied "It is you."

I could sense love dripping from both sides, although these two keep fighting all the time, making our life tense. The elder one then related that she showed the small cartoon on her palm to her mother who was very perturbed at that time on account of something, and the cartoon forced a big grin on her face, dissolving all her tensions.

--------------

I sense all the time that all those around us are nothing but small gods -- spicing us up through fights and love, and inexorably leading us to that soft yet dazzling light which is full of fragrance and which is pushtibardhanam -- the source of life and vigour. And that is the smile on every face.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 27 February 2009 at 11:23 PM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Friends, the same brother imparts me a wisdom again.

I sense all the time that all those around us are nothing but small gods -- spicing us up through fights and love, and inexorably leading us to that soft yet dazzling light which is full of fragrance and which is pushtibardhanam -- the source of life and vigour. And that is the smile on every face.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Dear Atanu: I love your sense of Humility. One thing I can add is 'small gods" you mentioned is actually the one and the only Loving God who is after you. Thank Him for providing such beautiful brother and sisters.

Love.............VC

Friends

I once made my wife read a post. She commented "Gigantic ego wars". When she sees me posting, she asks me "Are you yet winning the war?". I feel like throttling her. I settle lower and try to explain to her. She nods with understanding and merely smiles.

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 17 May 2009 at 03:17 AM.

Thread Information