Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spousal Abuse and Brihadaranyaka Upanishad.

Angry Re: Spousal Abuse and Brihadaranyaka Upanishad.

Quote Originally Posted by Baobobtree View Post
    Namaste all.

I have been reading a bit of Brihadaranyaka Upanishad as of late, and I came across this rather disturbing verses-

This must be some sort of mistranslation, right? If not, how can this be considered moral?
    When u said some comment from scripture it need authentication,So u firt give me the vedic form of that scripture"Now, if a man sees himself (his reflection) in water, he should recite the following mantra:
    "May the gods bestow on me vigour, manhood, fame, wealth and merit."
    In praise of the wife who will bear him a son:
    She (his wife) has put on the soiled clothes of impurity; she is, verily, loveliness among women. Therefore when she has removed the clothes of impurity and appears beautiful, he should approach her and speak to her".or "If she does not willingly yield her body to him, he should buy her with presents. If she is still unyielding, he should strike her with a stick or with his hand and overcome her, repeating the following mantra:
    "With power and glory I take away your glory."
    Thus she becomes discredited. "The word manhood,or prophethood or etchood not exist in vedic language.First give me the proof other wise shut ur mouth.U from firstline erroful translation.When translet remebber the following Sloka
    Atma va are drastavyah srotavyo mantavyo nididhydsitavyo: O, Maitreyi, it is the Atman that is to be beheld; it is the Atman that is to be known; it is the Atman that is to be searched for; it is the Atman which is to be heard about; it is the Atman which is to be thought in the mind; it is the Atman which is to be meditated upon. There is nothing else worthwhile thinking, nothing else worthwhile possessing, because nothing worthwhile exists, other than This.
    Om purnam adah, purnam idam, purnat purnam udacyate; purnasya purnam adaya puram evavasisyate
    Om Santih! Santih! Santih
    That is Full; this is full. From the Full does the Full proceed. After the coming of the Full from the full, the Full alone remains
    Om. Peace! Peace! Peace!

Re: Spousal Abuse and Brihadaranyaka Upanishad.

Vannakkam:

I don't care how many scriptures would say such things. Gut says spousal abuse is wrong. Whatever happened to belief in karma? This is why scriptures are a guide to your own conscience, and if there is any doubt, side on the common sense which a conscience provides.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Avazjan View Post
    It is for this reason that I pray that the "chaff" as you have named it is destroyed in the future, so that the dharma is stainless, both in the time that it is implemented, and eternally.

We don't need adharma muddying the waters.
    4:34

Men are in charge of women by [right of] what Allah has given one over the other and what they spend [for maintenance] from their wealth. So righteous women are devoutly obedient, guarding in [the husband's] absence what Allah would have them guard. But those [wives] from whom you fear arrogance - [first] advise them; [then if they persist], forsake them in bed; and [finally], strike them. But if they obey you [once more], seek no means against them. Indeed, Allah is ever Exalted and Grand

- scriptures are the wife

- soiled clothes of impurities are commentaries produced by mlecchas

those who are interested in Sanatana Dharma please continue your study without bothering about this part.

pranam

Note that the scriptures are quite esoteric - Just because you note words like husband, wife etc does not make them necessarily connected with worldly things.

In general, the causal principle is considered to be the male ( puruSha), his power of producing an effect is the female ( prakRiti) and the effect is the child. This symbolism is present throught the scriptures.

Examples -

jnAna yogi [ husband] + jnAna yoga [wife] --produces---> jnAna (child)
    karma yogi [ husband] + karma yoga [wife] --produces---> chitta shuddhi(child)

yogi ( husband) + ahiMsa ( wife) -> vaira-tyAga ( child)
    adharma + niRRiti (calamity) --> mRtyu ( child)

The shAstra-s expounding polygamy ,polyandry, superiority of the male etc are quite symbolic and must be understood in its proper context.

The male denoting the doer must dominate over the process he uses to acheive an end. Else he would fail in his mission. The wife of the shAstra-s is a symbol of the shakti ( or sAdhana) of the male and is not separate from him.

Have you noted that almost every Rishi or yogi ( with very few exceptions) in the scriptures is a male? Does it mean women can't be Rishis or yogis? That is why the symbolism is important. If you stick with ritualistic interpretations and translations of the veda, you would have to come to absurd conclusions.

We do not gain much by rejecting the authority of the scriptures or avoiding its contents. Instead we must probe deeper to understand what they mean.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté Sudarshan,

Quote Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
    Note that the scriptures are quite esoteric - Just because you note words like husband, wife etc does not make them necessarily connected with worldly things.

In general, the causal principle is considered to be the male ( puruSha), his power of producing an effect is the female ( prakRiti) and the effect is the child. This symbolism is present throught the scriptures.

We do not gain much by rejecting the authority of the scriptures or avoiding its contents. Instead we must probe deeper to understand what they mean.
    Often when the śāstra-s are read the significant meaning is lost or reduced to an action that is from our POV ( suggesting the paśu¹ POV). I see this often in the translation of the ṛg ved . Yet that said , your post points out there are several views in which a śloka, hymn or mantra can be considered... it is on 3 levels:
    • adhyatmika: the spiritual or psychological level
    • adhiyajñika: The ritualistic level: pertains to the performance or works,yajña
    • adhidaivika: The cosmological level & the laws of nature.
    It is the wise person who sees three forms in the śāstra-s.

praām

words
    paśu - any tethered animal ; hence the human that is tethered to ignornace, or still tied to body-consciousness only. In the śāstra-s 5 are considered as paśu - men , kine , horses , goats and sheep; sometimes added mules arid asses , or camels and dogs.
    Last edited by yajvan; 13 November 2010 at 02:18 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Hi,

Can somebody clarify about the beef eating part as well written in the same upanishad.
    I was completely astonished for somebody who follows a vegetarian diet.

thanks

Vannakkam Vishnu: I think post 3 and others above it discuss this and explain it quite well. There is quite a bit of discussion on HDF regarding meat - eating as it relates (or doesn't relate) to dharma. I'm glad to hear you are a vegetarian which is supported by the vast majority of scriptures. But Hinduism is very vast. We have hundreds of scriptures and some 900 000 000 adherents, so its reasonable to and very probably expect variety. No one shoe fits all, as they say.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by vishnu View Post
    Hi,

Can somebody clarify about the beef eating part as well written in the same upanishad.
    I was completely astonished for somebody who follows a vegetarian diet.

thanks

There is no Beef in Vedas
    http://agniveer.com/68/no-beef-in-vedas/

Thread Information