Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Upanishads - where to start?

Re: Upanishads - where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by satay
    namaste!
    I am a shiva devotee only by his grace. But I became a shiva devotee because of Bhagwan Krishn! (long story...)
    Krishn clearly tells us in Gita that he is rudra himself. so it is irrelevant which manifestation of the supereme being one prays to.

just my 2 cents.
    HI Satay,
    I don't understand your statement ..can you please explain bit clearly?
    I think you interpreted the statement of Krishna in vibhooti yoga as Krishna is Rudra..but there he said many other names also as he himself..why can't you take them into consideration?
    Please explain me the following sloka from Geeta :

"Rudraadityo vasavo yechasaadhyaaha........vikhanthe twaam vismitaaschaiva sarve"

Thanks in advance for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by tatvam
    HI Satay,
    I don't understand your statement ..can you please explain bit clearly?
    I think you interpreted the statement of Krishna in vibhooti yoga as Krishna is Rudra..but there he said many other names also as he himself..why can't you take them into consideration?
    Please explain me the following sloka from Geeta :

"Rudraadityo vasavo yechasaadhyaaha........vikhanthe twaam vismitaaschaiva sarve"

Thanks in advance for your help.
    namaste,
    Sorry about the confusion. No, I am not referring to any shloka here but just some personal experience this is why I said (long story)...

What about this shloka?

Bhagwan Ovacha:

rudranam sankaras casmi vitteso yaksa-raksasam
    vasunam pavakas casmi meruh sikharinam aham
    Last edited by satay; 24 August 2006 at 01:05 AM.
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay
    namaste,
    Sorry about the confusion. No, I am not referring to any shloka here but just some personal experience this is why I said (long story)...

What about this shloka?

Bhagwan Ovacha:

rudranam sankaras casmi vitteso yaksa-raksasam
    vasunam pavakas casmi meruh sikharinam aham
    Hi satay,
    I asked about that only..that is vibhooti yoga, I asked you that "based on that only do you think Krishna and Rudra are one and the same?"
    You have made a statement and I asked regarding that..if you ask the question as a answer to my question..I would think you are not considering total B.G and not interpreting with coordination between slokas.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by tatvam
    Hi satay,
    I asked about that only..that is vibhooti yoga, I asked you that "based on that only do you think Krishna and Rudra are one and the same?"
    You have made a statement and I asked regarding that..if you ask the question as a answer to my question..I would think you are not considering total B.G and not interpreting with coordination between slokas.
    Thank you.
    thank you for the post. For some reason, i have his affect on others that they can not understand what I say.

Please read my previous post...this time slowly. I have no idea what you are saying about shlokas. I am not talking about shlokas let alone BG. But you threw a sholka at me so did I back at you.

now what?
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith
    Namaste -

I have secured a translation of many of the Upanishads and would like opinions on which I should read first. I am still getting my bearings in the Hindu faith and hope that the Upanishads can satisfy my desire to learn more.
    I don't understand why some threads are converted into tête-à-tête, totally deviating from their subject.

The question here is that which of the upanishads a learner should start with. Sarabhanga advised that it is best to start with Bhagavad Gita. Fine. It now remains to be seen what to read after a learner is familiar with Gita. I would like members to post their approaches to knowledge of our scriptures rather than indulging in pointless arguments.

This is not to offend anyone, but only to remind ourselves to stay with the subject of a thread. Please post your opinions and preferences to the order of reading Hindu scriptures, specifically the Upanishads.

I would also like to know about the English translations of Upanishads by Hindu authors. I understand that Swami Krishnananda (disciple of Swami Sivananda) has given dissertations of some of the Upanishads. Who are the others? Any downloadable sources?

Namaste Sri Smith, whose translations have you secured for reading?

Post Re: Upanishads - where to start?

Namaste,

There are 108 Upanishads, although four of these may be particularly recommended (and best read in the following order):
    1. Aitareya,
    2. Brihadaranyaka,
    3. Chandogya,
    4. Mandukya.

Rama informs Hanuman, in the 108th (Muktika) Upanishad:

“By what means is Kaivalya Moksha attained? The Mandukya is enough!
    If Knowledge is not gained from it, then study the Ten Upanishads.”

Which means that (along with the four above) the Taittiriya, Prashna, Kena, Katha, Mundaka, and Isha Upanishads should also be studied.

“If desiring Moksha without the body, then read the 108 Upanishads.”

[Isa, Kena, Katha, Prashna, Mundaka, Mandukya, Taittiriya, Aitareya, Chandogya, Brihadaranyaka, Brahma, Kaivalya, Jabala, Shvetashvatara, Hamsa, Arunika, Garbha, Narayana, Paramahamsa, Amritabindu, Amritanada, Atharvashiras, Atharvashikha, Maitrayani, Kaushitaki, Brihajjabala, Nrisimhatapaniya, Kalagnirudra, Maitreya, Subala, Kshurika, Mantrika, Sarvasara, Niralamba, Sukarahasya, Vajrasucika, Tejobindu, Nadabindu, Dhyanabindu, Brahmavidya, Yogatattva, Atmabodha, Naradaparivrajaka, Trishikhi, Sita, Yogacudamani, Nirvana, Mandalabrahmana, Dakshinamurti, Sharabha, Skanda, Tripadvibhuti-mahanarayana, Advayataraka, Ramarahasya, Ramatapaniya, Vasudeva, Mudgala, Shandilya, Paingala, Bhikshuka, Maha, Shariraka, Yogashikha, Turiyatitavadhuta, Samnyasa, Paramahamsaparivrajaka, Akshamalika, Avyakta, Ekakshara, Annapurna, Surya, Akshi, Adhyatma, Kundika, Savitri, Atma, Pashupata, Parabrahma, Avadhuta, Tripuratapini, Devi, Tripura, Katharudra, Bhavana, Rudrahridaya, Yogakundali, Bhasmajabala, Rudrakshajabala, Ganapati, Darshana, Tarasara, Mahavakya, Panchabrahma, Pranagnihotra, Gopalatapini, Krishna, Yajnavalkya, Varaha, Satyayana, Hayagriva, Dattatreya, Garuda, Kalisamtarana, Jabali, Saubhagyalakshmi, Sarasvatirahasya, Bahvrica, and Muktika.]

Namaste Sarabhanga,

Many thanks for a prompt reply. Since I am yet to become Sanskrit-literate, I think I shall start with the English dissertations of Swami Krishnananda at http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/

Smile Re: Upanishads - where to start?

Namaste Saidevo,

Swami Krishnanada certainly has provided an excellent course of Vedanta instruction in the 10 Ebooks on Upanishads available from his web-site!

The translation of the Upanishads that I have obtained is by Eknath Easwaran. It was suggested by another member and it is truly a find. It is by no means complete, but it is good start I believe. I have a couple of his commentaries and his translation of the Bhagavad Gita as well. Previously, I've studied the Gita that was translated by ISKCON. The Easwaran vesion speaks more to my heart though both are probably accurate and valid.

I feel that I offended a member on this thread because of the strained reply that I received. By no means am I out to offend anyone. I am at the bottom of the learning curve being very new (in my first year) to the faith and ask for patience and guidance on my journey here.

I've been corrected in the meaning of Demi-God which was originally given to me by an ISKCONite. I know have the proper meaning thanks to some clarification on this board. Avatar was much more appropriate in describing Krishna.

As far as "choosing" scripture to fit in with my beliefs? Yes, what I am asking for is scripture that will help me to define what I believe and to acquire more knowledge. My focus now is on devotion to Ganesha and to Shiva and anything that would be suggested in scripture along those lines would be greatly appreciated. I will try to be more concise in my posts but always ask that the reader take into account that I am still learning and having to do much of it on my own.

As always, thanks to all for your patience, guidance and understanding.

Om Namah Shivaya

Good Friends:

Thank you for the link to Swami Krishnananda's site. Really fine material.

Best wishes,

Dharmajim

Thread Information