Thread: Jyotish Yantra

Jyotish Yantra

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste

I was looking at a few graha yantras. I have not had much luck ( that I can tell) from these yantras but always found it interesting to look at the number sequences and how they lineup.

For graha yantras and there all kinds; there are ones that are square, usually copper , unless one can afford gold. The square also has 9 smaller squares, or 3 X 3 pattern. Each smaller square has a number inside it.

Each graha has a numerical number and sequence that is associated with the planet. Why would a native want one of these? To strengthen the particular śakti of that graha. So the selection would be important i.e.the choice to insure the right graha is being strengthened.
    I thought to offer just a few of the number sequences of the yantras so one could appreciate the numbers and sequences that where thought out.

Surya Yantra
    Again it’s a 3X3 square. Each square has a specific number and sequence. Also , since the Sun is the 1st in order of importance, it sets the stage for the number and order.
    Top row___ 6 1 8
    Middle row_ 7 5 3
    Bottom row_2 9 4
    In the center of the yantra, the number 5 appears. 5 is the number of pañca mahābhūtas or 5 great elements we consider, and are owned by the graha-s i.e. ākāśa, vāyu, agni (some prefer tajas), jala, and prithī ( space, air, fire, water, earth).
    Now what is interesting is any row vertically, horizontally or diagonally adds up to 15. IF each row adds to 15, then the sum of the 3 rows ( or columns) add-up to 45. Why is 45 interesting?
    Individually this 45 numerically is perceived as 4+5 = 9. Nine is the number of graha's in Jyotish, and equals the number of squares in the yantra.
    This number 15 is also supposed to be a representation of solar energy. This I am not sure of and will need to see if I can find more information on 15. I do know that the components 3 X 5 will be key. More on this when I find something that is reliable.

Chandra Yantra
    Top row___ 7 2 9
    Middle row_ 8 6 4
    Bottom row 3 10 5
    Since Chandra is next in the graha-s order note that each number is +1 from the Sun's list of numbers. The center number is 6 ( 5+1) and each subsequent number, 1 is added to Surya's yantra numbers.
    Each row, column or diagonal adds-up to 18 for Chandra or 3 X 6. The total or sum of all rows = 54. 54 is also 5+4 = 9, and we're back to 9, the number of graha-s in Jyotish.
    Nine is also the house of fortune, of dharma and a trine called trikona. A very favorable house as it's kāraka is Guru or Jupiter.

Mangal Yantra
    Mars is next and now that we know the sequence, any one can then write down what the yantra will Look like by just adding 1 to Chandra's yantra numbers.
    Top row___ 8 3 10
    Middle row _9 7_5
    Bottom row 4 11 6
    Each row or column or diagonal adds up to 21 or 3 x 7. The sum of all rows or columns add to 63. The number 63 is 6+3 , and we arrive back at 9. Nine being the fortunate number and bhava. This progression continues and ends with ketu.

The progression of the sum of the rows e.g. 15 for Surya, 18 for Chandra and 21 for Mars , one can see the incremental change of 3. Hence we an predict the next row-sum of 21+3 or 24 ( or 3 X 8) for the next graha Mercury. This continues up to ketu with a row-sum of 39 and a center number of 13 ( 3 X 13).

This same increment happens for the totals i.e. for the total sum of the square e.. The Sun is 45, Moon is 54, etc. We can see this increments by 9 each time, all the way up to ketu with 117.

For me, I have my own opinions on the number sequence. I would have designed the squares so the house that the graha is kāraka for is in the center of the yantra.
    • for the sun I would have put 1 in the center, as the Sun is kārka for the 1st house.
    • for Ketu ( which I did not review) I would have put the 12, the kāraka for moksa, as the 12th is the moksha bhava ( Ketu has 13 in the center).
    • for Saturn, I would have put 10 in the center, as kāraka for work and career. Saturn has 11 or the house of gains.
    • Jupiter does line up with 9 in the center, as the kāraka for dharma and also religion and fortunes.
    These are my views, perhaps others that are more knowledgeable with numerology can add further insights.

Are there other yantra-s? Sure those with gems ( ratna), with mantras engraved and also geometric symbols. I have not done much study in this area, as I have mentioned I have had little success with this approach.

pranams

words used
    • Yantra यन्त्र -an amulet ,or diagram supposedly to possesss pecific shakti
    • kāraka कारक - making , doing , acting , who or what does or produces or creates
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Jyotish Yantra

Yajvan, is there a certain time when wearing graha amulet with Yantras is not particularly recommended?

I recently received bad news of a departure of a somewhat close friend of mine, it was a great shock for many. Before receiving the news I had a crisis of pain in my chest. I wear Rahu and Mercury amulet hanging over my neck, right on top of my coronary chakra.

I had to take it out because it felt like the amulet was really draining energy from there.

The amulet was properly made by my astrologer, however I'm not sure I should be wearing this until now, I guess I wear it for 5 years straight now.

Can you give me a little help on this matter?

Om Tat Sat

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast PI

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    Yajvan, is there a certain time when wearing graha amulet with Yantras is not particularly recommended?
    When wearing an amulet, there is always the proper time to put it on. That is, the day and time ( muhūrta ) that is owned by the graha ( ~planet~) being honored, propitated, etc.

Proper timing is a whole schcool of thought that comes under pacāṅga.

Rāhu would come under the the day of saturn, Saturday; mercury owns Wedesday. Within a day each graha also owns a time. More on time of the day here: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1715

praṇām

words
    • muhūrta , equaling 48 minutes and there are 30 muhurta in a 24 hr. period.
    • grāhaka - one who seizes or takes captive ;
      • graha ग्रह- seizing , laying hold of , holding i.e. a graha ~seizes~ or influences the circumstances of the native
    • pacāṅga 5-limbed or 5-membered ; a calendar or almanac treating of 5 things: vāra (solar days of the week) , tithi (lunar days of the month) ,karaṇa-s ( first and second halves of the lunar day) nakṣatras, (asterisms of the moon) & yoga-s ( unions).
    • rāhu - from the root √ rabh - " the seizer " ;rāhu seizes the sun and moon and thus cause eclipses. He is the natural bādhaka in one's chart.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Yajvan, thanks for the guidance. Is there a reason, besides Rahu not owning a day, why I should wear the Rahu amulet on Saturn's day?

Thank you.

hari o
    ~~~~~~

namast PI

Quote Originally Posted by Pietro Impagliazzo View Post
    Yajvan, thanks for the guidance. Is there a reason, besides Rahu not owning a day, why I should wear the Rahu amulet on Saturn's day?

Thank you.
    rāhu co-owns the same sign as saturn and has ~somewhat the same~ characteristics as saturn, śani the slow moving one.

rāhu does not own a day, but owns a time of the day. This HDF post will assist you: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739

He is the natural bādhaka in one's chart. That is, the natural obstructor for one's chart. IMHO unless rāhu is favorably placed, wearing and inviting rāhu , you are inviting more of his traits to influence your life.

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thank you Yajvan.

I also found this interesting article about the relation between Rahu and working in the film industry.

http://www.astrocamp.com/role-of-rah...ilm-stars.html

Here is an interesting judicial pronouncement:
    Astrology is a science: Bombay HC
    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...ow/7418795.cms

Ps: Thanks to member RVR for the news in brahminsworld forum.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

I wonder if these people that try to invalidate astrology ever went to a good astrologer and made their chart.

If astrology is purely chance than it would be common for a very introverted emotional person make their chart and the information display that person as extroverted and extremely logical... And I've never seen it happening in numerous charts before.

I'm sorry to speak without much property, but I just go crazy over people who think logic is the one and only way of perceiving life. And even Astrology having its logic system, people still prejudice it because it's not based on mechanistic modern science. If we go by this route, self realization would be BS, because it's not proven by a scientific method.

The comments on that article are mostly amusing, they keep saying "every prediction has 50% chance to be right"... Since when there are only two variables in our materially chaotic world? I'd say every prediction has 0,0000000001% chance to be right, however, when we try to perceive relations and observe their cause and effects, and a system like Jyotish is enumerated, a prediction has some basis.

Thread Information