Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veg meals for the road

Veg meals for the road

Namaste -

I travel 4 days a week and need to take food with me on my trips. The hotels that I stay in always have a coffee maker (for hot water) and occasionally a microwave (but not often).

Can someone offer suggestions on what I can take? Most of the food will be stashed in my suitcase and not refrigerated. I have been taking nutrition bars and canned diet shakes, but my doctor wants me to introduce other items into my diet. I know that I can take some fruits but am really at a loss when it comes to what else I could take. I work for an airline and also need some quick snack ideas that I can use while working.

Many thanks for your help!

Regards -

Clayton

Quote Originally Posted by c.smith
    Namaste -

I travel 4 days a week and need to take food with me on my trips. The hotels that I stay in always have a coffee maker (for hot water) and occasionally a microwave (but not often).

Can someone offer suggestions on what I can take? Most of the food will be stashed in my suitcase and not refrigerated. I have been taking nutrition bars and canned diet shakes, but my doctor wants me to introduce other items into my diet. I know that I can take some fruits but am really at a loss when it comes to what else I could take. I work for an airline and also need some quick snack ideas that I can use while working.

Many thanks for your help!

Regards -

Clayton
    You already mentioned everything that I could think of but one...Soup noodles. I have taken some soup noodles with me whenever I traveled...normally you can get the hotel to boil some water or the if there is restaurant they can give you hot water which you can use for the noodles.
    satay

Re: Veg meals for the road

Ok, well you mentioned fruit already, so…how about carrot sticks, cucumber slices, raisins, nuts, granola etc. for snacks. You can eat cereal also. There’s a sandwich that I eat, it requires no cooking. I use different veggies, I chop them into tiny pieces, I mix them with avocado and/or rennet-free cheese and I add olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. I toss everything and eat it with whole wheat bread. You can add lettuce also. In Trinidad where I live, we have a dish called tomato choka. I don’t know if you heard about it. We roast the tomatoes on the stove on a hot plate or “tawa”, we peel of the tomato skins, and mash the tomatoes with salt, pepper, garlic and onion. (Sometimes, the onion and garlic are fried before added to the tomato). If you are using the microwave, you can probably cut the tomatoes into four, place in a bowl and cover when microwaving. When it is soft enough, peel off the skins, mash the tomatoes and add salt, pepper to taste, finely mashed garlic and finely chopped onion. If you want to kill off some of the sharp taste of the onion and garlic, you can microwave it again for a short while. You can eat it with roti or bread. I usually eat tomato choka like a dip by breaking off piece of bread or roti and eating some of the choka with it. I find that if it’s made into a sandwich, it gets soggy. You can also eat avocado sandwiches; avocado has the good HDL cholesterol not the bad type of cholesterol. It actually lowers the bad cholesterol. My boyfriend says that the “Slimfast” drinks fill him up. There are some Indian dishes which can be microwaved. I think the brand was “Tasty Bite”, not sure though. It comes in a vacuum sealed pouch which keeps the food fresh. I think that some of those frozen veggie burgers can be microwaved but you might need a mini fridge to keep them. Campbell’s has microwavable soups also. There are little stoves that work with electricity also. Maybe you can look into buying one of those. I saw a really small one once, it like a single burner type of thing. I have heard that too much microwaved food is not healthy so be careful and eat plenty fruits and please consider a small electric burner.

Talking Re: Veg meals for the road

Thanks for the compliment MysticalGypsi. Oh I can understand why you put in a few pieces of chocolate. **Sighs** I bow to the superior forces of chocolate. (Oh how I crack me up)

Quote Originally Posted by MysticalGypsi View Post
    Chocolate is definitely of the gods. A divine and supernatural gift. LOL

We could create a shrine, Shakti, but we would just devour it.
    I might eat most of it before we can even build it.

How about canned soups ? Can they be used without refrigirators ? Not sure... They can be heater in microwawe's...

I found a couple of soups ( Amy's soups - chunky tomato, cream of mushroom) yummy..Wouldn't know if everyone else will like it...

I travel sometimes too but I get to eat outside most of the time..don't usually carry foods..

I am on the road often...tend to starve most of the time and occationally pick up what is available by the road side stalls...feels like really being on the road ~ try it out sometime
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

If you like the South Indian tiffin items, check MTR Foods Ltd. (of the famous Mavalli Tiffin Rooms, Bangalore) for long shelf life ready-to-eat pre-packaged food. Since 2001, Wikipedia says, the company is exporting to the United States, Singapore and Gulf countries, Australia, New Zealand and Canada.

According to a recent news, MTR Foods Ltd, was acquired by Orkla SA, the leading Norwegian branded food major, for $80 million (Rs.3.52 billion) in an all-cash deal.

Namaste,
    I find Clif bars to be a great breakfast. They give you 25% of your daily protein requirement and are 100% vegetarian/vegan. They also have a line of bars called Luna which are also vegetarian/vegan. Just be sure to drinks lots of water with them.

OM shanti,

Kiran

Namaste
    I have recently come across veggie hotdogs,burgurs, Franks, sausages etc., made by Turtle island foods (http://www.tofurky.com ) in the NY area. The sausages taste great when rolled in a chappati. Give it a try.
    Pranams

Thread Information