upon him be love of God,
    'this life is nothing but
    a dream like state
    of a sleeping man.
    only in death his
    real realities awaken.'

-------------------------

http://mysticsaint.blogspot.com/2007...-state-of.html
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Re: Appreciation for all faiths

The Advaitic Unity of the Absolute Truth as the substratum of Creation has been well expressed by many Sufi poets. The following quotes appear elsewhere also in HDF, but it is worth reading them again:

Lalla Ded:
    When my mind was cleansed of impurities,
    like a mirror of its dust and dirt,
    I recognized the Self in me:
    When I saw Him dwelling in me,
    I realized that He was the Everything
    and I was nothing.

I saw and found I am in everything
    I saw God effulgent in everything.
    After hearing and pausing see Siva
    The House is His alone; Who am I, Lalla.

Shiv chuy thali thali rozan;
    Mo zan Hindu to Musalman.
    Truk ay chuk pan panun parzanav,
    Soy chay Sahivas sati zaniy zan.

Siva pervades every place and thing;
    Do not differentiate between Hindu and Musalman.
    you art intelligent recognise thine own self;
    That is the true acquaintance with God.

Siva is with a fine net spread out
    He permeath the mortal coils
    If thou whilst living canst not see
    Him, how canst thou when dead
    Take out Self from Self after pondering over it

Jalaluddin Rumi

Though we seem to be sleeping,
    there is an inner wakefulness
    that directs the dream, and
    that will eventually startle us back
    to the truth of who we are.
    -----

The intellectual quest is exquisite like pearls and coral,
    But it is not the same as the spiritual quest.
    The spiritual quest is on another level altogether,
    Spiritual wine has a subtler taste.
    The intellect and the senses investigate cause and effect.
    The spiritual seeker surrenders to the wonder.
    -----

Omar Khayyam

The Moving Finger writes, and, having writ,
    Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit
    Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
    Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Kabir

WITHIN this earthen vessel are bowers and groves,
    and within it is the Creator:
    Within this vessel are the seven oceans
    and the unnumbered stars.
    The touchstone and the jewel-appraiser are within;
    and within this vessel the Eternal soundeth,
    and the spring wells up.
    -----

I have been thinking ...
    I have been thinking of the difference between water
    and the waves on it. Rising,
    water's still water, falling back,
    it is water, will you give me a hint
    how to tell them apart?

Because someone has made up the word
    "wave," do I have to distinguish it
    from water?

Hafiz

I Have Learned So much from God
    That I can no longer Call Myself
    A Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim,
    A Buddhist, a Jew.

The Truth has shared so much of Itself With me
    That I can no longer call myself
    A man, a woman, an angel,
    Or even pure Soul.

Love has Befriended Hafiz so completely
    It has turned to ash And freed Me
    Of every concept and image
    My mind has ever known.

The first step in this affair [Sufism] is the breaking of ink-pots and the tearing-up of books and forgetting of all kinds of knowledge.
    -- Abu Sa'Id Ibn Abi 'L-khayr (967 - 1049)

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post
    The Advaitic Unity of the Absolute Truth as the substratum of Creation has been well expressed by many Sufi poets. The following quotes appear elsewhere also in HDF, but it is worth reading them again:

Lalla Ded:
    When my mind was cleansed of impurities,
    like a mirror of its dust and dirt,
    I recognized the Self in me:
    When I saw Him dwelling in me,
    I realized that He was the Everything
    and I was nothing.
    ---
    Siva pervades every place and thing;
    Do not differentiate between Hindu and Musalman.
    you art intelligent recognise thine own self;
    That is the true acquaintance with God.

Siva is with a fine net spread out
    He permeath the mortal coils
    If thou whilst living canst not see
    Him, how canst thou when dead
    Take out Self from Self after pondering over it

---
    Hafiz
    -
    Love has Befriended Hafiz so completely
    It has turned to ash And freed Me
    Of every concept and image
    My mind has ever known.
    Namaste Saidevoji,

Yeh, this is the ash shiva wears with love. Thanks.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    this life is but a dream like state of a sleeping man

said Prophet Muhammad
    upon him be love of God,
    'this life is nothing but
    a dream like state
    of a sleeping man.
    only in death his
    real realities awaken.'

-------------------------

http://mysticsaint.blogspot.com/2007...-state-of.html

I am impressed with your wisdom Atanu. The realities of life which may seem unreal are very deceiving, and to understand this reality is very difficult. You have understood this reality. Although I have seen some great scholars who are well versed in all vedas, but these scholars do not understand that everything stands for One reality.

Quote Originally Posted by bhargavsai View Post
    --Although I have seen some great scholars who are well versed in all vedas, but these scholars do not understand that everything stands for One reality.
    Namaskar Bhargavsai,

Thanks for appreciating the One reality, knowing which all hatred and misgivings should go. Yet, it is in the very nature of ignorance that such happen. We have misgivings about teachings of Prophets, but IMO, it is not the Prophet or the scripture that bear any fault. It is the ignorance about the truth of the 'One Reality' that facilitates strifes.

For support let me post a few verses from Koran:

84. And when We made with you a covenant (saying): Shed not the blood of your people nor turn (a party of) your people out of your dwellings. Then ye ratified (Our covenant) and ye were witnesses (thereto).

85. Yet ye it is who slay each other and drive out a party of your people from their homes, supporting one another against them by sin and transgression, and if they came to you as captives ye would ransom them, whereas their expulsion was itself unlawful for you. Believe ye in part of the Scripture and disbelieve ye in part thereof? And what is the reward of those who do so save ignominy in the life of the world, and on the Day of Resurrection they will be consigned to the most grievous doom. For Allah is not unaware of what ye do

213. Mankind were one community, and Allah sent (unto them) Prophets as bearers of good tidings and as warners, and revealed therewith the Scripture with the truth that mankind might judge concerning that wherein they differed. And unto whom (the Scripture) was given differed only through hatred one of another. And Allah by His will guided those who believe unto the truth of that concerning which they differed. Allah guideth whom He will unto a straight path.

------------------------------------------
    84. And when We made with you a covenant (saying): Shed not the blood of your people nor turn (a party of) your people out of your dwellings. Then ye ratified (Our covenant) and ye were witnesses (thereto).

85. Yet ye it is who slay each other and drive out a party of your people from their homes, supporting one another against them by sin and transgression, and if they came to you as captives ye would ransom them, whereas their expulsion was itself unlawful for you. Believe ye in part of the Scripture and disbelieve ye in part thereof? And what is the reward of those who do so save ignominy in the life of the world, and on the Day of Resurrection they will be consigned to the most grievous doom. For Allah is not unaware of what ye do

110. Establish worship, and pay the poor due; and whatever of good ye send before (you) for your souls, ye will find it with Allah. Lo! Allah is Seer of what ye do

111. And they say: None entereth Paradise unless he be a Jew or a Christian. These are their own desires. Say: Bring your proof (of what ye state) if ye are truthful.

112. Nay, but whosoever surrendereth his purpose to Allah while doing good, his reward is with his Lord; and there shall no fear come upon them neither shall they grieve

163. Your God is One God; there is no God save Him, the Beneficent, the Merciful.

177. It is not righteousness that ye turn your faces to the East and the West; but righteous is he who believeth in Allah and the Last Day and the angels and the Scripture and the Prophets; and giveth his wealth, for love of Him, to kinsfolk and to orphans and the needy and the wayfarer and to those who ask, and to set slaves free; and observeth proper worship and payeth the poor due. And those who keep their treaty when they make one, and the patient in tribulation and adversity and time of stress. Such are they who are sincere. Such are the God fearing.

188. And eat not up your property among yourselves in vanity, nor seek by it to gain the hearing of the judges that ye may knowingly devour a portion of the property of others wrongfully.

204. And of mankind there is he whose conversation on the life of this world pleaseth thee (Muhammad), and he calleth Allah to witness as to that which is in his heart; yet he is the most rigid of opponents.

205. And when he turneth away (from thee) his effort in the land is to make mischief therein and to destroy the crops and the cattle; and Allah loveth not mischief.

206. And when it is said unto him: Be careful of thy duty to Allah, pride taketh him to sin. Hell will settle his account, an evil resting place

212. Beautified is the life of the world for those who disbelieve; they make a jest of the believers. But those who keep their duty to Allah will be above them on the Day of Resurrection. Allah giveth without stint to whom He will.

213. Mankind were one community, and Allah sent (unto them) Prophets as bearers of good tidings and as warners, and revealed therewith the Scripture with the truth that mankind might judge concerning that wherein they differed. And unto whom (the Scripture) was given differed only through hatred one of another. And Allah by His will guided those who believe unto the truth of that concerning which they differed. Allah guideth whom He will unto a straight path.

-----------

The unfortunate part is that upholders of Koran are now attached so strongly to 'Allah of their imagination' that they have forgotten that Allah is one and they have forgotten the best parts of the Koran. And IMO, same may be true to lesser or greater extent everywhere (including me of course).

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 12 July 2008 at 09:13 PM. Reason: And unto whom (the Scripture) was given differed only through hatred one of another.

Namaste,

Thank you for this topic, dear Atanu.

I suspect it is the nature of human beings to lust for a satiation of "otherness" in a seach for "self." From the moment of birth, when we are cut from Mother, we seek to rationalize the trauma of separation.

If one is to be "other" ... well, then, one must strive to be BETTER than the alternative, eh?

Yet, this has nothing to do with the spiritual dictates put forward by orthodox religions as specified by their Holy texts. However, the interpretation of these texts to and by the masses then takes on the nature of the human beings doing that interpretation, and become profane.

There's a saying - "Don't trust a preacher with more than one suit."

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Atanu a question for you. According to one verse you quoted in your post says mankind belongs to one community.
    If that is so how these verses appreciate all other faiths????

2:191 And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.

(2:257) "Those who disbelieve, their patrons are false deities. Such are rightful owners of the Fire."

(2:104) "For disbelievers is a painful doom."

Last edited by Bishawjit; 05 April 2009 at 03:06 PM.

Namaste Bishawjit,
    I had a luck to understand some Quranic ayats from a knowledgeable sufi friends. According to his school of thought, the graphic description of Heaven and Hell are metaphor. One who submits to divine will, is a believer irrespective of religion and is privildeged by proximity of Absolute or 'Haqq' in sufi terms. One who is attached to ego and does not submit to divine will is separated by God and in hell fire by his own desires and arrogance. However, Allah's mercy exceeds his wrath and Allah will grant Marifa (sacred knowledge) to those who strive sincerely.

I understand the fact that there are many many extremist and hardliners. And they think all other religions are false. By, all means we should defend sanatana dharma from those people. However, when it comes to understanding scripture of someone's religion, it is better to take things in context from a sincere person believing in that faith.
    Thy right is to work only, but never with its fruits; let not the fruits of the action be thy motive, nor let thy attachment be to inaction.

Quote Originally Posted by reflections View Post
    Namaste Bishawjit,
    I had a luck to understand some Quranic ayats from a knowledgeable sufi friends. According to his school of thought, the graphic description of Heaven and Hell are metaphor. One who submits to divine will, is a believer irrespective of religion and is privildeged by proximity of Absolute or 'Haqq' in sufi terms. One who is attached to ego and does not submit to divine will is separated by God and in hell fire by his own desires and arrogance. However, Allah's mercy exceeds his wrath and Allah will grant Marifa (sacred knowledge) to those who strive sincerely.

I understand the fact that there are many many extremist and hardliners. And they think all other religions are false. By, all means we should defend sanatana dharma from those people. However, when it comes to understanding scripture of someone's religion, it is better to take things in context from a sincere person believing in that faith.
    Namashker reflections i have got my answers in another post by the help of devotee.
    regards

Quote Originally Posted by Bishawjit View Post
    Atanu a question for you. According to one verse you quoted in your post says mankind belongs to one community.
    If that is so how these verses appreciate all other faiths????

2:191 And slay them wherever ye find them, and drive them out of the places whence they drove you out, for persecution is worse than slaughter. And fight not with them at the Inviolable Place of Worship until they first attack you there, but if they attack you (there) then slay them. Such is the reward of disbelievers.

(2:257) "Those who disbelieve, their patrons are false deities. Such are rightful owners of the Fire."

Atanu, it appears bought heavily in to islam apologetics arguments.
    There are at least 10 verses that oppose every seemingly conciliatory verse in quran.

Also one has to see the context of the verse(from tafsirs) to understand it.For example the verse
    Qur'an, 2:213 ;there is another similar verse i.e.

3:103 : And hold fast, all together, by the rope which Allah (stretches out for you), and be not divided among yourselves; and remember with gratitude Allah's favour on you; for ye were enemies and He joined your
    hearts in love, so that by His Grace, ye became brethren; and ye were on the brink of the pit of Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus doth Allah make His Signs clear to you: That ye may be guided.

This verse is about Allah's advice not to quarrel for plunders(booty)-
    http://www.qtafsir.com/index.php?opt...=507&Itemid=46
    In that verse Allah is saying to the tribes in muhammad's fold not to quarrel wrt sharing booty

Thread Information