Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me understand.

Question Please help me understand.

Hi,
    I have recently started studying Hinduism through my world religions class. I have found it very compelling and indeed want to learn more about Hindu ways. I have identified ten top questions I would like to have answers. If you can help answer any of these questions I would be most apprciative.

1. Does the Hindu accept newcomers? If so, how does one become Hindu?
    2. What do you think are common misconceptions people have about your religion?
    3. What denomination do you practice (Saivism, Shaktism, Vaishnavism, or Smaartism) and why?
    4. Where you born into Hinduism or do you practice this religion by choice? If by choice, what led you to this path?
    5. From a Hinduism point of view, how was the Earth and humans created?
    6. Do you believe the caste system is still intact? Is it followed by Hindu’s living in America?
    7. I have found conflicting information in regards to Hare Krishna. Some say it is a part of Hinduism and others say it is not. What are your thoughts?
    8. How does Hinduism differ from Islam or Christianity?
    9. 9. I have found brief discussion about Hindu magic. Can you tell me what you know about that?
    10. 10. Do you feel that your religion play a role in your happiness?
    I am looking forward to reading your responses and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by anjaylah
    Hi,
    I have recently started studying Hinduism through my world religions class. I have found it very compelling and indeed want to learn more about Hindu ways. I have identified ten top questions I would like to have answers. If you can help answer any of these questions I would be most apprciative.

1. Does the Hindu accept newcomers? If so, how does one become Hindu?
    2. What do you think are common misconceptions people have about your religion?
    3. What denomination do you practice (Saivism, Shaktism, Vaishnavism, or Smaartism) and why?
    4. Where you born into Hinduism or do you practice this religion by choice? If by choice, what led you to this path?
    5. From a Hinduism point of view, how was the Earth and humans created?
    6. Do you believe the caste system is still intact? Is it followed by Hindu’s living in America?
    7. I have found conflicting information in regards to Hare Krishna. Some say it is a part of Hinduism and others say it is not. What are your thoughts?
    8. How does Hinduism differ from Islam or Christianity?
    9. 9. I have found brief discussion about Hindu magic. Can you tell me what you know about that?
    10. 10. Do you feel that your religion play a role in your happiness?
    I am looking forward to reading your responses and thoughts.

namaste and welcome to the forums!

I am curious. How far you in your class on Hinduism? What's the starting point in such a class? How long is your class study going to be. Perhaps best to wait for your class to end as by the end you should know answers to a lot of these questions.

As an aside, does your world religion class teach anything on Taoism? just curious.

ps: by the way, what does your handle 'anjaylah' mean if anything?
    satay

Light Re: Please

Does the Hindu accept newcomers? If so, how does one become Hindu?
    Yes it does. In order to become a Hindu one has to go through prescribed rituals, samskaras. In a case of some sects this may be replaced by certain initiation.

What do you think are common misconceptions people have about your religion?
    This is a big topic. In fact, almost everything thought by people about Hinduism are mainly misconceptions (But this is the case with all religions and not only Hinduism.)
    For example, there is a misconception that all Hindus have to be vegetarians and definitely none eats cow meat. But in fact eating of meat, and cow meat as well, was extant even in Vedic times, and remained in many later traditions (eating cow is not common, but in Java Hindus do eat it).

What denomination do you practice (Saivism, Shaktism, Vaishnavism, or Smaartism) and why?
    There are mainly two reasons of following some tradition: either one is born in it or one selects it willfully. In both cases initiation is essential.

Where you born into Hinduism or do you practice this religion by choice? If by choice, what led you to this path?
    I became Hindu by choice; and choice was in fact done by God and not "me."

From a Hinduism point of view, how was the Earth and humans created?
    Answers to this will vary. Mythological stories U may read in Puranas and Itihasas. But in fact, Vedas say that One God created heaven and earth. Monistic traditions see this God as the Ultimate Consciousness and everything that exists is non-separate from His being.

Do you believe the caste system is still intact? Is it followed by Hindu’s living in America?
    Depends on what U mean by "caste system." I do not believe in any kind of automatic heriditary caste, and i think this was the initial concept of varna-system. But society is indeed divided into 4 classes. Natural inclination and capacity of a person makes him brahmana, kshatriya etc.

I have found conflicting information in regards to Hare Krishna. Some say it is a part of Hinduism and others say it is not. What are your thoughts?
    It is one of neo-hindu sects. It is a part of Hinduism in a sense that formally it belongs to it by succession of gurus. But it is not a part of traditional Hinduism.

How does Hinduism differ from Islam or Christianity?
    There are many similarities and many differences. Hinduism is essentially monotheistic, as well as Judaism, Christianity and Islam (in fact the latter two are modifications of Judaism only). All these religions have the concepts of Dharma (Law), Bhakti (Love to God) and Jnana (Mystical knowledge), Yoga (Union with God).
    Moreover, U have to take in account that there are several traditions grouped under theses titles. Especially this is right in regard of Hinduism, which is quite undefined term.

9. I have found brief discussion about Hindu magic. Can you tell me what you know about that?
    "Magic" is not an essential part of Hinduism, but it has a place in it. What exactly do U wanna ask?

10. Do you feel that your religion play a role in your happiness?
    Religion is a union with God, and God is a source of all happiness

Re: Please help me understand.

Arjuna,
    Thank you so much for your insightful answers to my questions. I have a little more understanding of the religion, but now I have tons more questions (After I look up some of those words and read some more text).

I really needed to hear these answers from someone who practices instead of what a book can tell me.

Satay,
    My class only touched the surface of Hinduism and I am at the end of my class doing research right now.

My class has covered Taoism, Buddhism, Daoism, Islam, Christianity, Judaism and briefly on others. I chose to explore Hinduism.

My real name is Angela, I think that anjaylah is just a cute way of spelling it.

I really needed to hear these answers from someone who practices instead of what a book can tell me.
    Namaste,

I suppose that almost all present here in this or that way practice
    If U have got questions, ask.

namaste,

I chose to explore Hinduism.
    to quote my good buddhist friend Vjaradhara ..."this is due to your good karma ripening"

My real name is Angela, I think that anjaylah is just a cute way of spelling it.
    cute! Welcome again and ask away your questions...there are many knowledgeable members here on this forum from different schools of Sanatana dharma'
    satay

Wow, the more I find out Hinduism the more I feel drawn to it. I start thinking about things that have happend in my life and how they now make sense. I am starting to feel different...I a very good way.... Well, we shall see where this leads me as I still have tons to absorb.

I have a question that I cannot seem to figure out.

Are gurus the equivelant of a priest or are they two different things?

Post Re: Please help me understand.

Are gurus the equivelant of a priest or are they two different things?
    No. In a sense the Church plays the role of a "collective" Guru in Christianity.
    Priest is "archaka", "pUjArI" and "purohita". AchArya is "teacher" or "leader", and Guru is the "master".

Church is an organisation like any other~that it is a guru is a bit over the head

Quote Originally Posted by Singhi Kaya
    Church is an organisation like any other~that it is a guru is a bit over the head
    If U get an idea of chrisitian doctrine of the Church (also compared to judaic Kneset-Israel), U will understand what i meant to say.

External Church is only an organisation, i agree
    But there is what is called heavenly Church, an approximate analogue of Kula-kaya of Tantrism. This Church is considered to be the Bride of the Logos. And i would say a "Guru" for all its members.

Thread Information