Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No Room for Hell

Re: No Room for Hell

I was told Hell is right here on Earth- especially when you commit sexual sin.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaRaksha View Post
    Jaya Narayana: Your math is not adding up. You say that Karma follows us to the next birth but then you go to hell? If for the errors of this life, I am being hurt in hell, why is it in the next life, I am paying for the errors of the previous life again? Aren't you being punished twice?

I don't disagree that there are religious texts that talk about naraka. But these are just the imaginings of people living some time ago. This is what they imagined would happen to people and so they wrote it down. It's not like they actually went to naraka and saw this happening! It makes a man happy to think that that bad man will go to hell and suffer for what he is doing.
    In that case both heaven and moksha could be mere imaginations of people.It's not like they actually went to moksha or heaven and saw this happening! It makes a man happy to think that that good man will go to heaven and enjoy for what he is doing.

I have just rephrased what you said. I think you forgot that the people who imagined these hell and heaven were rishis and if you think they are imaginations then you perhaps dont believe in the religeous texts at all? That is ok, but why call it Hinduism if it a mere opinion ( without any basis)

But we need to evolve and grow beyond the old ideas and texts, I am not saying they are bad but it is time we gave up the idea of a God who hurts people. Don't you think God has a better way? With one thought he can make you a Hitler or a Gandhi! Why would God need a naraka?
    If you want to imagine all the beliefs, I dont know why you call these views as Hinduism. It was scripture that told you that there is a God and the same scripture should teach you what is reality.

If you have a private channel with God them please ask him why created the hells. Also dont forget to ask him why lots of people are dying of hunger, disease, accidemts etc - certainly God had a better way right? I dont see any difference between the tortures of samsAra and any special hell.

When I was a kid, one of my teachers got exasperated because we couldn't understand the point he was making, he got so angry, he took his cane and beat everyone of us. I am in my 50's now but I still remember it and still hate that man. That is not a teacher, that is a master, a king. A master who rules by orders and threats.

A teacher is one who tirelessly goes over the text again and again until you get it, and that is what karma and rebirth are. This is the better way! In this life, I am a Hindu, in my next I might be an atheist, in the next a dog! Each life gives me a new perspective, a new outlook. Our goal is Moksha, to become an enlighted person, that is not acheived thru torture and pain!
    In that case God could have created a much better world without any pain or torture right now! There were much better ways to create this world than we see now.

You knew about the word moksha from the scripture , found it exciting and believed it. And the next page of the scripure told you about naraka and it was disappointing and you disbelieved it! Tell me why should we believe in God or moksha if we reject the very scripture that talked about these?

Truth is not what any one believes or want it to be. It is what it is. If you accept the authority of the vedas, then you have to accept whole. Believing in parts and throwing the rest do not yield a consistant belief.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Namaste,

Sudarshan has put it quite succinctly.

Hindu scriptures were not musings by old, bored men; they are the result of insights into the nature of reality by various rishis/sages at various times in ancient India. Hell/Heaven are not considered to be 'physical' places as in jails etc. They are considered states of existence. The law of karma simply states that the more egregious one's actions are, the more egregious the results; call it Hell or Bell, it doesn't matter.

Devotee also made an important distinction that in the Abrahamic faiths, Heaven & Hell are thought of as permanent abodes; eternal. In Hinduism, they are temporary. Through many 'births' or experiences in either place, one has to return to bhUloka (earth) to continue in this arduous journey of samsArA.

It's quite mathematical actually: the more brownie points you score on earth, the more pUnyA you accumulate and your ecstatic experience in "heaven", and time spent there, is commensurate to your "good" deeds/actions on earth. Likewise, the more 'bad' deeds you do, the longer you spend in hell-like states (narakAs) before you are cast back into the physical realm of the earth.

It is quite obvious that the Abrahamics stole almost all of the concepts seen in their religions from Sanatana Dharma. Clear examples are Noah's Ark etc. Abrahamic faiths are bhakti marga for the "people" in the ME. And that spread like a virus around the world.

Subham.
    Last edited by TatTvamAsi; 31 August 2008 at 07:42 PM.

Light Re: No Room for Hell

Quote Originally Posted by TatTvamAsi View Post
    Namaste,

Sudarshan has put it quite succinctly.

It's quite mathematical actually: the more brownie points you score on earth, the more pUnyA you accumulate and your ecstatic experience in "heaven", and time spent there, is commensurate to your "good" deeds/actions on earth. Likewise, the more 'bad' deeds you do, the longer you spend in hell-like states (narakAs) before you are cast back into the physical realm of the earth.

Subham.
    Yes this is right- I must also stress the need for purity- contol of mind and sexual desire, this will save you from naraka, as well as giving you good quality of life on earth and in your next life.
    Naraka also exists on the physical plane- and I believe I am coming out of it now with gradual prayers/meditation and efforts at celibacy. Then again, if you really want to get technical and analyse deeply, we could say even heaven(s) would also be equal to 'naraka,' compared to Paramdham or sri Vaikuntham.

Thread Information