Thread: Tantric text to begin with.

Tantric text to begin with.

Namaste all.

I've become increasingly interested in Tantric Hinduism as of late (in particular the Kaula school, and the Natha Sampradaya), and I'm curious to know what text I should begin to study with? I'm interested in both left-handed (Vamachara) and right-handed (Dakshinachara) practices (though admittedly I'm a bit more interested in left-handed practices), so I'll gladly read texts followed by either tradition.

Re: Tantric text to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Baobobtree View Post
    Namaste all.

I've become increasingly interested in Tantric Hinduism as of late (in particular the Kaula school, and the Natha Sampradaya), and I'm curious to know what text I should begin to study with? I'm interested in both left-handed (Vamachara) and right-handed (Dakshinachara) practices (though admittedly I'm a bit more interested in left-handed practices), so I'll gladly read texts followed by either tradition.
    Try David Gordon White, he wrote of both Kaula and Nathism.
    If U mean original sources, then Kaulajnana-nirnaya may do, but it is preferable to get sm general idea of the context from academic studies before proceeding with Tantras.
    IMHO.

There are a good selection of Kaula and Vama texts that you can read:

1.Dyczkowski. M.S.G. [2004] A Journey in the world of the Tantras. Indica. Varanasi [link: http://www.alltimebooks.com/shop/ind...oductID=97119]

2. Rastogi, N. [1996] The Krama Tantricism Of Kashmir. [link: http://www.alltimebooks.com/shop/ind...oductID=11633]

3. Muller-Ortega, P.E. [1997] The Triadic Heart of Siva. Sat Guru Pub. Delhi [link: http://www.alltimebooks.com/shop/ind...oductID=49963]

Some texts of White have been disputed, although he stands firm with his interpretation; it is not unanimously accepted. Ortega and Dyczkowski have really good references to primary and secondary texts so it is a good idea to pick their texts up if just for that. Dyczkowski utilizes many sources, some of which are only accessible to academics.

I am of the view that when studying tantricism even if it is pancharatra, it is still beneficial to study Tantraloka

I suggested White since he presents numerous references to original sources. His conclusions may be wrong, but studying his books is beneficial

P. S. Dyckowski's books are GOOD, as well as Rastogi's.

Just an addition-

A nice book came to publication "The Yoga of the Maliniviyottara Tantra"- trans by Somadeva Vasudeva http://www.bibliaimpex.com/index.php?String=31270&p=sr&Field=bookcode&Exactly=yes&Format=detail. Its a good book too, Abhinava quotes it quite often in his works.

Namaste Arjuna, and Srikantha.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions and resources. They are greatly appreciated. I understand however one needs to study Tantric texts under a guru's guidance? I know it wouldn't exactly be beneficial for me to do so, but would it be necessarily harmful for me to study some texts without a guru, or is this highly discouraged?

Hari om
    ~~~~~

Namaste Baobobtree

I have noticed by looking at the fine recommendations above that the Śiva Sūtra-s were not part of the offers. I recommend them if you have the time to study this work.

My orientation is more kaśmir śaivism, so my 'bent' is in this direction. I have some personal favorites e.g. Parā-trīśikā Vivaraṇa,
    Spanda-kārikās, Vijñāna Bhairava kārikās, etc.

I have been fortunate to have studied Vedanta for some years, so with that reading the association, conversation or similarities to the readings mentioned above were comfortable. I do not know of this fits in your case. I mention it as having a nice foundation to start really helps with comprehension... along with personal experiences ( sādhana, etc) all the parts then fit together.

pranams

यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Dear all,
    Could anyone suggest the best book to start on Tantra ..with topics..what is Tantra and all?
    ॠमहेशà¥à¤µà¤°à¤¾à¤¯ नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

Jai Shree maa

After joining this Foram only I came to know about kaśmir śaivism. As such I am Shakta since I love my mom( Mateshwari,Shree Raaj Rajeshwari) However Papa is Papa (Lord Shiva). I like his style,his coolness,his calm,his stability & in nutshell I'll say What not quality this Super PAPA posseses. But fact is that I dont know anything as such about Lord Shiva. I know True Knowledge enlightens the INSIDE so that we know first ourselves more & more & then the world around us that is Lord Shiva.

So comming to the point, Does kaśmir śaivism talks about the way People in Kashmir pray,worship Lord Shiva?? If it is so then I want to begine with How Lord Shiva is worshiped in Tamil Nadu??
    Sir If you may provide me a link to "Tamil Saivism"(Pardon me for wrong spelling) preferably & then the kaśmir śaivism, I feel I'll be blessed.

You may also prescribe me how to & where from to start understanding & feeling Lord Shiva. Thank you so much for hearing me.

Maa Raksha Karo

Ajeet

Namaste Baobobtree

I have noticed by looking at the fine recommendations above that the Śiva Sūtra-s were not part of the offers. I recommend them if you have the time to study this work.

My orientation is more kaśmir śaivism, so my 'bent' is in this direction. I have some personal favorites e.g. Parā-trīśikā Vivaraṇa,
    Spanda-kārikās, Vijñāna Bhairava kārikās, etc.

I have been fortunate to have studied Vedanta for some years, so with that reading the association, conversation or similarities to the readings mentioned above were comfortable. I do not know of this fits in your case. I mention it as having a nice foundation to start really helps with comprehension... along with personal experiences ( sādhana, etc) all the parts then fit together.

pranams

[/quote]

Namaste, Ajeet and welcome to HDF.

This is a 5yr old thread...but whatever.

The first 'Tantric' book I ever studied was the Tibetan Book Of The Dead, followed by writings from the Theosophical Society (like The Serpent Power by Arthur Avalon)....there wasn't much 'Tantra stuff' around back in those days!

I came to Lord Shiva through Mahakala and had a few personal experiences with this.

My Ishwara is Kala Bhairava and if you look at Bhairava vs Mahakala Bernakchen, you will see what I mean here.

My area of knowledge mostly pertains to this and the Buddhist concept of Lord Shiva who is Lokeshwar (the Lord of Worlds) and Mahakala meaning 'the great black' which refers to the Nirguna aspect of Brahman.

Mahakala is also the Lord of Time and is seen 'overlooking' the dance of Lord Nataraja...the dance from which all creation springs forth.

There's not much I know about Tamil Shaivism, or South Indian Shaivism, but I did study Virashaivism for a while there, which does lend itself to some of my own beliefs and feelings about Lord Shiva:
    http://www.hindupedia.com/en/Vira_Shaivism

You may also prescribe me how to & where from to start understanding & feeling Lord Shiva. Thank you so much for hearing me.
    What I understand and feel about Lord Shiva, I didn't get from books or ideologies. I just sat down before a picture of Lord Shiva, opened my heart fully and started chanting the Mahamrityunjaya Mantra and Kalabhairavashtakam, then I was shown the way.

The fact you want to understand and feel Lord Shiva means that you already do to some extent. You just need to refine and nurture that.

Okay, now for the 'lazy way'.

Go on Youtube and watch Devon Ke Dev Mahadev or the Shivamaha Puran (with English Subtitles)...it starts here:

http://www.youtube.com/show/shivmahapuran

Once you get past the 'awkwardness' of the Lord and great Sages being represented in human form, the stories mirror the Puran quite nicely (I read the Shiva Puranas in my early twenties).

I also studied Advaita and I am a proponent/worshiper/whatever fits here of Adi Shankaracharya...a lot of the devotional Mantras and songs I sing were written by him!

Nobody can tell you what Lord Shiva is though or how to find and feel Him. He appears through the total integration of two opposing forces in human nature...knowledge and love.

I would like to study Kashmir Shaivism, because my personal beliefs place me about 3,000 kms north of there. I read a treatise on it once and was confused beyond confusion.

I hope others can 'fill in the blanks' so to speak and I wish you well in your endeavours.

Aum Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by Necromancer; 15 May 2013 at 05:50 AM.

Thread Information