Thread: Hindu Kush means Hindu Slaughter

Hindu Kush means Hindu Slaughter

"[I]O Indra, lead us on the path of Rta, on the right path over all evils[/I]."
    [SIZE=1]--RV 10.133.6[/SIZE]

[B]When i look into the mirror i see india, the land of aryans, the craddle of civilization, the mother of all religions.[/B]

Re: Hindu Kush means Hindu Slaughter

Hi

In my opinion the views expressed by Shrinandan Vyas, that the name Hindu Kush means Hindu Slaughter in the link: http://www.hindunet.org/hindu_history/modern/hindu_kush.html is not correct and I give an excerpt from it:

Quote:

COMMENTS & FUTURE WORK

Although in this article Hindu Kush has been referred to as Hindu slaughter, it is quite possible that it was really a Hindu and Buddhist slaughter. Since prior to Moslem invasions influence of Buddhism in Gandhaar and Vaahic Pradesh was considerable. Also as the huge 175 ft stone Buddhas of Bamian show, Buddhists were idol worshipers par excellence. Hence for Moslem invaders the Buddhists idol worshipers were equally deserving of punishment. It is also likely that Buddhism was considered an integral part of the Hindu pantheon and hence was not identified separately.

This article barely scratches the surface of the Hindu genocide, the true depth of which is as yet unknown. Readers are encouraged to find out the truth for themselves . Only when many readers search for the truth, the real magnitude of the Hindu genocide will be discovered.

Unquote

The readers are requested to read the research article of wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindu_Kush

The Hindu Kush is a mountain range located between Afghanistan and Pakistan. The name Hindu Kush derives from the Arabic word meaning "Mountains of India." [1] It is the westernmost extension of the Pamir Mountains, the Karakoram Range, and is a sub-range of the Himalayas. It is also calculated to be the geographic center of population of the world. [2]

Nomenclature

The name Hindu Kush is usually applied to the whole of the range separating the basins of the Kabul, and Helmand rivers from that of the Amu Darya (or ancient Oxus), or more specifically, to that part of the range to the northwest of Kabul.

[edit] Sanskrit
    Sanskrit documents refer to the Hindu Kush as Pāriyatra Parvat .

[edit] Persian
    In some of the Iranian languages that are still spoken in the region many peaks, mountains, and related places in the region have "Kosh" or "Kush" in their names. In the Persian language of the Sassanian period, Hindu referred to the inhabitants of the area around and beyond the Indus River, or Hind - the people who were followers of Hinduism. The name is also said to be a corruption of Hindu Koh, from the (modern) Persian word Kuh, meaning mountain. James Rennell, writing in 1793, referred to the range as the "Hindoo-Kho or Hindoo-Kush"[3].

"The same hindu- 'mountain' [in Scythian or Saka languages] is in the name Hindǚ-kuš, where the kuš means 'side, region' connected with Chr. Sogd. qwšy 'side' with -ti- Armenian Parthian k'oušt 'side, region' . . . . Old Indian has both koa- and kośa-. . . . The legend of Hindukuš meaning 'slaying Hindus' is assigned to an event a hundred years after Bābur's mention of the name." [4]
    [edit] Ibn Batuta on the term Hindu Kush

'Another reason for our halt was fear of the snow. For upon this road there is a mountain called Hindukush, which means 'the slayer of the Indians 'because the slave boys and girls who are brought from the land of India die there in large numbers as a result of the extreme cold and the great quantity of snow ".[5]

[edit] Folk etymology

The origin of the term "Hindu Kush" is a point of contention. There are others who put forward alternate possibilities for its origin, although these are usually considered to be folk etymology[citation needed]:

a corruption of Caucasus Indicus, a name by which the Hindu Kush range was known in the ancient Western world after its conquest by Alexander the Great in the Fourth Century BC. Greek rule in the Hindu Kush region lasted over three centuries, and was followed by the rule of a dynasty known, significantly, as the <strong>Kushan</strong>. In its early period, the Kushan Empire had its capital near modern-day Kabul. Later, when the Hindu Kush region became part of the Sassanian Empire, it was ruled by a satrap known as the Kushan-shah (ruler of Kushan).[citation needed]
    a reference to the last great &quot;killer&quot; mountains to cross when moving between the Iranian plateau and the Indian subcontinent, named after the toll it took on anyone crossing them.
    a posited Avestan appellation meaning &quot;water mountains.&quot;[citation needed]

a corruption of Hind-o Kushan, containing the name of the Kushan dynasty that once ruled this region for more than three centuries.[citation needed]

Thanks
    I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim
    http://paarsurrey.wordpress.com

Namaste Paarsurrey,

I think that is quite a nice explanation. Thank you !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by devotee View Post
    Namaste Paarsurrey,

I think that is quite a nice explanation. Thank you !

OM
    What we like is nice.

Hindu-Buddhist massacre in the region is a separate story, with or w/o the naming speculations of a mountain range.
    What is Here, is Elsewhere. What is not Here, is Nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sm78 View Post
    What we like is nice.

Hindu-Buddhist massacre in the region is a separate story, with or w/o the naming speculations of a mountain range.
    Namaste sm78,

The history is not without controversy. Whoever writes the history, writes in his own way. So, we cannot say with certainty so many things in remote history that this is what happened at that time. The author of the said articles makes a number of assumtions & takes help of extrapolated logic to put forth some inferences. This may or may not be true. I really can't say what the Truth is .... but what do we gain by such dubious "findings" ? This will only increase animosity & sense of hatred among people.

If something is doubtful, let's accept what is beneficial to all concerned. Why spread hatred for no reason ?

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information