Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: lord shiva

lord shiva

hi im a devotee of lord shiva , but also worship other deities like ganesha , amba ji , durga and lord krishna , but when i talk about lord shiva with iskon members they seem not to like him very much just saying that he is a mere semi god .... any comments on this ?

Re: lord shiva

Quote Originally Posted by shangopriest View Post
    hi im a devotee of lord shiva , but also worship other deities like ganesha , amba ji , durga and lord krishna , but when i talk about lord shiva with iskon members they seem not to like him very much just saying that he is a mere semi god .... any comments on this ?

Namaste,
    this question was reviewed last week on this post...
    take a look : http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3269

pranams
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Lord Shiva is given a higher position than Lord Brahma, but his realm is said to be marginal, between the spiritual and material creation. It is not disrespecting to call him a demigod, he is the most powerful one, but he gets that due to his meditation on Krsna.

Quote Originally Posted by Atman View Post
    It is not disrespecting to call him a demigod, he is the most powerful one, but he gets that due to his meditation on Krsna.
    Pranam

To call any Devas Demigod is highly disrespectful since there is no half measure about any one of them.

Jai Shree Krishna
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Namaste Atman,
    Shiva or Shakti are not demigods. vaishnavism, Shakitsm, Shaivism are all valid accepted and very old traditions of Hinduism. Same reality is percieved in various aspects. We choose our path according to our orientation and Karma. In no other literature, except Iskcon's interpretation Shiva is represented as a demigod. From thousands of years Shiva is thought to be one with Brahman.

I am myself a Vaishnava, for me Krishna is Parabrahma. I an not even monist. I would very much like to serve his lotus feet rather than merging to a formless entity. However, those who chose a different path are not necessarily worshipping any demigod. And that is the beauty of Hinduism to recognize various paths as equally valid paths.

Don't get me wrong please. I don't want to criticize Iskcon, just pointing that their interpretation about Shiva is not the correct one.

Regards,
    reflections

Jai Shri Krishna

I am also a big devotee of Lord Shiva and do frequently get insulting comments from Krishna devotees.............it seems that ISKCON have different mind of their own....why don't they try to follow what written in scriptures.

Quote Originally Posted by hindustallion View Post
    I am also a big devotee of Lord Shiva and do frequently get insulting comments from Krishna devotees.............it seems that ISKCON have different mind of their own....why don't they try to follow what written in scriptures.
    The whole thing is an opportunity created by Shiva to destroy the dwarf -- the ego. He indeed dances on the dwarf.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    The whole thing is an opportunity created by Shiva to destroy the dwarf -- the ego. He indeed dances on the dwarf.

Om
    Can you please explain more, Atanu.
    I also noticed that in paintings of ISKCON,they painted Shiva as somewhat ugly in dull black color and thin.

Namaste,
    By ego, first comes 'I', then comes 'my'; 'my faith'. That is still OK, issues arises when few people think 'My belief is the only right belief' which is due to superiority and ego.

May be Atanu will tell us, what does he mean by 'dwarf the ego'?

Can you please explain more, Atanu.
    I also noticed that in paintings of ISKCON,they painted Shiva as somewhat ugly in dull black color and thin.

Quote Originally Posted by reflections View Post
    Namaste,
    By ego, first comes 'I', then comes 'my'; 'my faith'. That is still OK, issues arises when few people think 'My belief is the only right belief' which is due to superiority and ego.

May be Atanu will tell us, what does he mean by 'dwarf the ego'?
    Namaste Reflection and hindustallion,

An immature scientist who has only known of Newton's law, which deals with solid objects, will declare Quantum Mechanics, which takes into account the ultimate non-locational wave nature of matter, as complete myth -- and that is a natural behaviour of an immature beginner.

Some quantum physicists may get annoyed or feel insulted -- and again that is the natural behaviour. A mature physicist, OTOH, will judge the student and then will act suitably, either smiling away the criticisms or explaining the matter very patiently and very delicately.
    ---------------------

There is a story that may be suitable here.

A devotee, "x" returned a vitriolic insult to his guru with vigour, using his fist. The Master endorsed the action. Another devotee "y" of the same guru exhausted the same vitriolic attack of the critic of his guru with a smile and silence. The master on hearing this, endorsed the action of the devotee heartily.
    -----------------

There is another example from the Samurai lore. The Samurai fighters are graded as per their expertise with the sword but the Samurai who never has to use the Sword is graded the highest.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thread Information