Thread: Sati

Sati

I want to know your views on Sati Pratha

Re: Sati

Quote Originally Posted by Anand
    If you explain what Sati Pratha is,maybe I can answer.

Regards,
    Orlando.

What can be anybody's view about it except that it was an evil medevial pourahita practice and denegration of womanhood.

I think most hindu's get defensive on this medevial practice, but we must admit frankly it was an evil practice which we (with help from british) have got rid of.

Also I think Raja Rammohan Roy demonstrated to medivial asurik pundits that sati has absolutely no-support in scriptures. May be we need to educate ourselves more on our scriptures so that zealous Islamicists cannot blackmail on our ignorance.
    Last edited by Singhi Kaya; 13 June 2006 at 08:42 AM.

If somebody is troubling Hinsuism with this issue, why not ask for a scriptural reference? vedas, Gita etc?
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhakta of God
    If you explain what Sati Pratha is,maybe I can answer.

Regards,
    Orlando.
    It was a practice which is said to be common during moslem and british rule of India, where young widows were expected to commit self immolation on the funeral pyre of her dead husband.

As far as I know there is no scriptural support of this practice. It became common in medevial India because of variety of social reasons. Ofcourse one can mis-interpret a few things and try justify sati.

A similar practice was popular among rajasthani khatriyas called jwahar practice, where royal women commited mass suicide when the men have been defeated by invaders so that the invaders cannot touch them. This came in conjugation when muslim invadors invaded India ~ as they were ever eager to grab the women as material of loot. This practice is commendable. But sati is evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudarshan
    If somebody is troubling Hinsuism with this issue, why not ask for a scriptural reference? vedas, Gita etc?
    I found it to my surprise that many indian moslems had workked hard to create some convoluted "translations". Without knowldge of sanskrit many will be hit hard in the head. And later I found some of the translation were not just wrong but pure fancy ~ at times comic. But when u get the ulterior motive, it is saddning.

Quote Originally Posted by Singhi Kaya
    I found it to my surprise that many indian moslems had workked hard to create some convoluted "translations". Without knowldge of sanskrit many will be hit hard in the head. And later I found some of the translation were not just wrong but pure fancy ~ at times comic. But when u get the ulterior motive, it is saddning.
    Which verses can be misinterpreted as Sati? Only a perverted idiot can find this in Gita.

Maybe they are misusing Manusmriti, Vishnu Smriti etc? Vedas are somewhat ambiguos and have been used to "prove" racism, animal sacrifice, human sacrifice, alcoholism etc by other idiots. No wonder it is said that atleast 12 years of discipleship under a great guru is needed even to scratch the surface of true meanings.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Which verses can be misinterpreted as Sati? Only a perverted idiot can find this in Gita.

Maybe they are misusing Manusmriti, Vishnu Smriti etc? Vedas are somewhat ambiguos and have been used to "prove" racism, animal sacrifice, human sacrifice, alcoholism etc by other idiots. No wonder it is said that atleast 12 years of discipleship under a great guru is needed even to scratch the surface of true meanings.
    As far as I know the verses that the idiots use to prove Sati are the story of the suicide of Sati,the wife of Lord Shiva,that then become Parvati in her next birth.
    You may read the whole story in Srimad Bhagavata Purana,Canto 4,Chapter 2,3,4.If you wish to read how the story continues read even chapter 5,6, and 7.
    You may find the fourth canto of Srimad Bhagavatam at http://www.srimadbhagavatam.org/canto4/c4-contents.html

Regards,
    Orlando.

Yes it is idiotic, but most of the times we are idots too - not knowing about our scriptures.
    Some less understood vedic verses and smritis are target. Gita is too clear and concise to attempt such a thing

Quote Originally Posted by Singhi Kaya
    Yes it is idiotic, but most of the times we are idots too - not knowing about our scriptures.
    Amen to that brother!
    Dharma is as easy as ABC or could be as hard as you want it to be. The problem is for westerners it is just a mystic 'indian' thing...
    and on top of all that there is a propaganda machine of the malecchas which is deep pockets.
    satay

Thread Information