Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Does the Guru Bring?

Re: What Does the Guru Bring?

hari o
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

A simple example of guru. John Grimes¹ offers the following:

Once , he says, many years ago I had the chance to meet an Indian monk (saṃyamin&#185 who asked me, Who you? .

Having lived in India and being use to this type of English, and being polite I began to answer him, 'I am John Ga_ _ _ ' , but as I reached the Ga of Grimes he said, bas, family name, who you? ( bas is stop~ enough!).

Since I studied Indian thought I very confidently and boldy began to reply ' I am the Imortal ātman' but just as I got to ā_ _ _ again he stopped me, and said bas, book name, who you?

With the first bas, he wiped out the idea I was my body; with the 2nd bas he wiped out my entire mental universe. What was left?
    With two small words he has succeeded in conveying to me that I was neither my body or my mind. How then to respond to his question? I said ' I do not know'. He immediately said, find out. I replied 'How ?' He responded not how, find out.

I again asked how. He was holding a cloth in his hand. He opened his fingers and let the cloth fall. As it fell he said let go. He turned and left the room.

praṇām

words & references
    • saṃyamin संयमिन् is one who restrains or curbs or subdues; it is self-controlled.
    • saṃyas संयस्is to make effort. It is rooted in yas यस् - to strive, or exert one's self. Some like to break up the word to say saṃ + ni + ās which roughly means to throw down completely. What is thrown? All worldly ties. What is key is saṃ or sam सम्- this is to join together, union, thoroughness , completeness.
    • John Grimes - an author, with several books/translations to his credit teaches at the Kidaikanal International School, South India
    Last edited by yajvan; 27 April 2009 at 10:04 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

the guru brings sandwiches if you're lucky

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan
    Another view is gu is that of darkness, and ru ( to break or smash to pieces) - the removal of that darkness.

Does not give - takes. :/

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namast

Quote Originally Posted by yogin View Post

Does not give - takes. :/
    If you mean he takes away ignorance, yes I see that. Is there another notion you are offering?

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

namasté

I wrote:
    We also know that guru brings dīkṣā. A most noble word as it is composed of + kṣī: Now in a quick definition this means
    - to give + kṣī to destroy. Yet if we asked Abhinavagupta-jī , he would offer the following:
    • dī - means diyate jñānam or insight is imparted
    • kṣā - is kṣiyate pāpam or sin is destroyed
    This dīkṣā comes about by initiation or śaktipāta ( śakti or energy, power, force + pāta or application, falling, casting or directing), hence the casting of or falling of this energy or force, this illumination from the guru to the śiṣya.

If the reader looks to post 3 above, more will be offered on this śaktipāta.

In the tantrāloka ( chapter 29) the great muni of kaśmir śaivism , abhinavagupta-ji, speaks of additional approaches.
    Not every guru has this ability - those trained in this rahasya¹ (secret , private ) teaching are capable of departing it to
    his/her śiṣya ( student) .

I thought to mention a few to make the HDF reader aware of a few of these. The initiations would not be for the junior or
    novice śiṣya. Preparation for these approaches are needed - this should not be looked at lightly.

First they are called piercings or vedha वेध. This word is rooted (√) in vyadh meaning penetration , piercing , breaking
    through , breach , opening , perforation. It is worthy to note this word is not ved or veda, as you can tell.
    Veda is √ in vid - knowledge , true or sacred knowledge.
    • mantravedha - piercing (vedha) the centers or chakra's by means of mantra sound.
    • nādavedha - piercing via sound resonance
    • binduvedha - between the brow¹ vedha
    • ktaveda - energy piercing via uccāra . This word means rising, yet also suggests where it begins -
      called the lower muscles of the trunk , rectum area, considered the vicinity of the 1st cakara.
    • bhujaṇgaveda - serpent piercing. This word bhuja meaning bending, curving, coiling, like a snake.
      Also another Name for the trunk of an elephant.
    • paravedha - supreme piercing. This is considered the fruit of the last 5 just mentioned.
    What is the intent of these vedha-s ? Sākṣātkāra or intuitive perception , realization. Of what? Of one's own nature, of Being.

praṇām

words
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Thread Information