Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evil force(s) in the universe

Re: Evil force(s) in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by satay
    but what's the cause of the 'evil' thoughts to begin with. Am I for example born with them...is that samskara of the soul? is there a separate source for the evil?

We know there is only one source...so evil must come from that source too but then how can evil come from this one all bliss source?

My opinion on this is that evil is caused by ignorance and the soul is stuck in maya. Ego is a big part of the problem...but what's the source of this ego then.

or why did the soul go into 'ignorance' to begin with if it is divine in nature!
    This idea of ignorance or Maya requires lot of purchase in good faith from Advaita. The Maya concept is not fully explained in Advaita beyond doubt by Shri Adisankara Bhagavatpada; those who tried to analyse this Maya, made Advaita propounded by Shri Adisankara Bhagavatpada more confusing than the Philosophy.

To put it short, Evil has no source as there is no such thing as Evil. Evil is darkness, is nothing but absense of Light. If one tries to name this absense of Light as ignorance, then one must realise that such naming is only for identification and not to define the object as such. Like why I being called
    Ramkish, just for the name being lingering on, one cannot expect me to be like Ramakrishna Paramahamsa, as name is just an identification and not made for defining.

This evil darkness is spelled on Atma not by Maya even if Advaitin view is accepted as Maya is nothing but God himself. If so, Maya being part of Lord, should have a quality of being Krura (Cruel) thus negating the idea of Nirguna Brahman. On the contrary, the evil darkness is spelled by the absense of Light illuminated by Atma by multiple veils of Karma. As the light passes through many shields, its illuminating impact gets reduced, as a result is unable to illuminate the right object, thus making us blind, irrespective of the fact that we have vision.

Now, setting aside all sectarian views, one must either have torch called Dharma to navigate through in the absense of light or should have a yogic vision to see through the feeble light / darkness.

Easy choice is opting Bhakti and Guru. Guru helps us to remove the veils and makes the Atma illuminate. Bhakti helps us to leave it lord and lord guides us through experience

Hence, source of so called Evil is the blinding darkness spread by Veils of Karma obstructing the illumination spread by Atma. There seems to be no separate source of evil / darkness.

If we recognise evil as object existing then source must be ascribed to none other than god, for he is source of all. However, we deny such separate existence, hence source cannot be ascribed to Lord directly. This arises a question, whether can we ascribe it to Lord indirectly?, then the answer is Yes, Indirectly, Lord is source of Karma and Karmic Veil, hence so.

Ego, is part of prakriti in the form of Aham-kara and mama(मम)-kara. This ego is part of creation. Advaitin view this creation as Maya, hence, accepting advaitin view will make your stand point correct. Maya is source of Ego. On the contrary, Vaishnavite view this creation not as a part illusion but as a part of wonderful power of lord that exist begininglessly and endlessly. These two karaka along with triguna result in physical body which is pervaded by Atma, which in turn is pervaded by Lord. As this is part of creation, rejecting ego in toto is very difficult and requires almost equal courage to commit suicide to reject it. Few tastes success but this success is checked and challenged again and again as long as they live in this earth. This Ego in such divine entity transforms as Vairagya. As these two karaka become powerful in combination of triguna; divine entity who are out of purview of this ego, remove the Tamas and Rajo gunanubhava to reject this Ego. In the absense of Tamas and Rajas, Sattva predominantly checks these two karaka, identifying Aham and mama sabda with Lord and not with the Atma. So the so called Ego dissiminates and transforms as Vairagya

Hope I had attempted all your questions but in different order, as time for the day is over, will try to answer any further doubts tomorrow, if such doubts falls within the iota of my knowledge scope

Jai shree krishna
    Last edited by ramkish42; 14 June 2006 at 05:54 PM.

Re: Evil force(s) in the universe

Quote Originally Posted by satay
    but what's the cause of the 'evil' thoughts to begin with. Am I for example born with them...is that samskara of the soul? is there a separate source for the evil?

We know there is only one source...so evil must come from that source too but then how can evil come from this one all bliss source?

My opinion on this is that evil is caused by ignorance and the soul is stuck in maya. Ego is a big part of the problem...but what's the source of this ego then.

or why did the soul go into 'ignorance' to begin with if it is divine in nature!
    The soul never went into ignorance at any point of time - has been like that from an eternal past. You might want to view the soul as divine spark covered by a veil of ignorance. If this were ascribed to a specified time, then it made sense to say that God put that veil. But it has been there since the "beginning" of eternity! How could anyone be responsible then? I guess the answer is known if you could understand the true meanings of eternity, which will mean getting knowledge about the divine. Till then this ignorance will go on.

However, when Sri Krishna says this in Gita:

O Arjuna, as the Supreme One, I know everything that has happened in the past, all that is happening in the present, and all things that are yet to come. I also know
    all living entities; but Me no one knows.(7.26)

- you are pretty much forced to accept that everything we see around is just a well defined divine plan - fully constructed by God skillfully,willfully and to perfection. When God says that there is nothing he does not know about the future - what more do we deduce about own role in anything, including our own goodness, evils and finally salvation?
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Thread Information