Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Essays on Visishtadvaita

Light Essays on Visishtadvaita

This is one more thread I am starting which shall also run parallely along with my visishtadvaita thread, however, this will contain small essays, stories etc towards the purport of Visishtadvaita

If god willing, future moderators, I hope will not treat this section as preaching and ban my ID

Baliyasi kevalam ishvarecha

Jai shree krishna

Essays on Visishtadvaita - 1. Father and son

Once upon a time, there lived a Vaishya couples, made for each other.

The man was a good businessman and used to travel abroad for years together, when returns brings such huge sum, which will keep him engaged counting till his next journey

Once, he proposed to go on a business tour for many years. By the time, his wife was at the verge of delievering a baby, however, as the business call was important enough, she had permitted her husband to take the tour.

This man used to keep in touch with his family through messengers and letters, was happy with event that he begot a nice son. He was following the developments, his child started walking, started talking, started running etc.

Soon, his son was mature enough to take business lessons and learned business tricks through his grandfathers and through letter communications from his father.

Like his father, he too purported to go abroad on a business venture.

On a foreign land, our man was unloading few loads of costly materials. Suddenly it started raining. Unlike these days, those days did not court Derricks and vast sheds, but a few plam leaf sheds. As the material was costly our man tried to find a dry shed, of course he got one, but soon enough a small guy came to the same place and started stacking his materials. Both had a fight - who is going stack the material in the place. Both were ready to push off other person materials out of the shed

One of the close friend of our man was passing by, who came to the rescue. He came and told our man that the young guy he was fighting was actually his son, and told the young guy that the person he is fighting with is actually his father.

As this is the first meeting point of father and son, the entire situation changed. Anger vanished, curses failed and arrogance disappeared. Son handed over all his wealth to his father and said "Verily, all this belongs to you", father has accepted it and both of them were at bliss.

This story was told by one of Srivaishnava Perceptor - Shrimad Nanjiyar.

Purport of this story is an analogy offered.

Like father and son in the story, both Lord and Atma comes to one roof called body. Samaanam vruksham parishasvajaathe. This atma comes and stacks his authority over the roof which was preoccupied by Lord and fight saying that this roof belongs to Atma.

Upon this, lord, like father in our story, says Kshibaami, and pushes the atma, through Karma, to multiple births, in turn Atma says, Na kshamaami - I will not tolerate, hence avoids and pushes of the Lord.

As a friend in our story, a guru appears and makes a compromise between Lord and Atma, saying that this is your son and this is your father. He compromies saying that Father is always superior and son is bound be under the father, which is acceptable and nature of Atma.

Upon this, Atma rightly recognises his nature, and seeks refuge under Paramaatma and like the son in our story, offers all his wealth to Lord in toto. Upon this Lord instead of rejecting the Atma, keeps the atma close to him, as a father who sees his son for the first time.

Jai shree Krishna

Re: Essays on Visishtadvaita - 2. मां एकं

Krishna, on his avatara, indicated that his body helps for aatma darsana (आत्म दर्शन). While giving Bhagavat Gita discourse to Arjuna, he said – maam ekam charanam vrajeh, by using माम् एकं by touching his aprakruta Deha.

The word maam cannot be taken to indicate only paramaatma swaroopa, at the same time it cannot indicate only his avatara apraakruta deha. It should be indicating both. Swami Sri Desikan while commenting on this commented that Lord indicated that he appeared as target along with Vigraha swaroopa.

In many temples, Vigraha of lord is made with abayahastam, also indicates his vigraha swaroopa by his hands.

In common parlence, where ever the word I, me, अहं, is used, one used to tap their chest indicating none other than I, me, अहं.

This is told by ithanim shrimad azhagiyasingar of ahobilamutt

Re: Essays on Visishtadvaita - 1. Father and son

Quote Originally Posted by ramkish42
    Once upon a time, there lived a Vaishya couples, made for each other.

Purport of this story is an analogy offered.

Like father and son in the story, both Lord and Atma comes to one roof called body. Samaanam vruksham parishasvajaathe. This atma comes and stacks his authority over the roof which was preoccupied by Lord and fight saying that this roof belongs to Atma.

Upon this, lord, like father in our story, says Kshibaami, and pushes the atma, through Karma, to multiple births, in turn Atma says, Na kshamaami - I will not tolerate, hence avoids and pushes of the Lord.

As a friend in our story, a guru appears and makes a compromise between Lord and Atma, saying that this is your son and this is your father. He compromies saying that Father is always superior and son is bound be under the father, which is acceptable and nature of Atma.

Upon this, Atma rightly recognises his nature, and seeks refuge under Paramaatma and like the son in our story, offers all his wealth to Lord in toto. Upon this Lord instead of rejecting the Atma, keeps the atma close to him, as a father who sees his son for the first time.

Jai shree Krishna

The story is good. Shows how the mental concepts control action.

But Atma and Lord fighting is indigestible. Also the Guru seems to be higher than both Atma and Lord. Who is this third person called Guru? Does He exist outside Lord or is He outside Atma --- since there is EKO LORD WITHOUT A SECOND AND EKO ATMA, WHICH IS INDIVISIBLE.

Story is worth remembering forever -- embedded concepts control behaviour. Like the purport of this story indicates.

The true purport is: The wrong sense of AHAM, which thinks that I is the body, is forever in conflict with Atma. There is a corresponding message from Gita that: Self can be an enemy or a friend.

Om Namah Shivayya

Re: Essays on Visishtadvaita - 1. Father and son

Quote Originally Posted by Atanu Banerjee
    The story is good. Shows how the mental concepts control action.

But Atma and Lord fighting is indigestible. Also the Guru seems to be higher than both Atma and Lord. Who is this third person called Guru? Does He exist outside Lord or is He outside Atma --- since there is EKO LORD WITHOUT A SECOND AND EKO ATMA, WHICH IS INDIVISIBLE.

Story is worth remembering forever -- embedded concepts control behaviour. Like the purport of this story indicates.

The true purport is: The wrong sense of AHAM, which thinks that I is the body, is forever in conflict with Atma. There is a corresponding message from Gita that: Self can be an enemy or a friend.

Om Namah Shivayya
    Lord and atma fighting is indigetible is true, but it is said in a way to remember the story. The original story was given in a mixture of language i.e. Tamil and Sanskrit, hence to rhyme with some sanskrit endings those words are used

Kshibaami used by lord is used in the sense to indicate Karma and na kshamaami is used in the way to indicate casual approach or negligence on part of jiva

I am just a radio box, and true radio station is the perceptor who has given the story. If the story is good, then it is the radio station that broadcasts perfectly, otherwise all distortions are with the radio set

Jai shree krishna

Re: Essays on Visishtadvaita

Just to remind, there are many atmas in visishtadvaita. The idea of only one atma belongs to advaita, hence trying to understand visishtadvaita with the concepts of advaita will lead to confusion

Jai shree krishna

Wink Re: Essays on Visishtadvaita

Quote Originally Posted by ramkish42
    Just to remind, there are many atmas in visishtadvaita. The idea of only one atma belongs to advaita, hence trying to understand visishtadvaita with the concepts of advaita will lead to confusion.
    More correctly ~ the idea of many Atmanah belongs to Samsara; the idea of many immortal Atmanah belongs to Samkhya; and the idea of just one immortal Atma belongs to Vedanta. :1cool:

More correctly ~
    the idea of many Atmanah belongs to Samsara;
    the idea of many immortal Atmanah deteched from Brahman belongs to Samkhya;
    the idea of many immortal Atmanah attached to Brahman belongs to vedanta;

the idea of just one immortal Atma perhaps belongs to nAstikavAda or shUnyavAda or something else. ( BG 16.14, Isvaroham). Anyway not vedanta.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Exclamation Re: Essays on Visishtadvaita

If you agree that the whole idea of many Atmanah belongs to Samsara, then you agree that the idea of many Atmanah (mortal, immortal, attached, detached, or whatever) belongs to Samsara.

And your statement that “the idea of many … Atmanah … belongs to Vedanta” reflects only the views of Samkhya and Samsara!

The idea of just one immortal Atma surely belongs to Vedanta, and that one immortal Atma is only Brahma!

There is only one true God ~ i.e. there is only one unborn and eternal Atma, and that Atma is Brahma!

Quote Originally Posted by Sudarshan
    The idea of just one immortal Atma perhaps belongs to Nastikavada or Shunyavada … not Vedanta.
    By claiming that Brahma is only Shunya, you are surely presenting yourself as a Nastika Shunyavadin!

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga
    If you agree that the whole idea of many Atmanah belongs to Samsara, then you agree that the idea of many Atmanah (mortal, immortal, attached, detached, or whatever) belongs to Samsara.

And your statement that “the idea of many … Atmanah … belongs to Vedanta” reflects only the views of Samkhya and Samsara!

The idea of just one immortal Atma surely belongs to Vedanta, and that one immortal Atma is only Brahma!

There is only one true God ~ i.e. there is only one unborn and eternal Atma, and that Atma is Brahma!

By claiming that Brahma is only Shunya, you are surely presenting yourself as a Nastika Shunyavadin!

So Precise

Thread Information