Thread: Kali Yuga

Kali Yuga

Namaste,

Can someone please explain me what is "Kali Yuga"?
    "[I]O Indra, lead us on the path of Rta, on the right path over all evils[/I]."
    [SIZE=1]--RV 10.133.6[/SIZE]

[B]When i look into the mirror i see india, the land of aryans, the craddle of civilization, the mother of all religions.[/B]

Re: Kali Yuga

Hari Om
    ~~~~~

Namaste Indra,
    there are many posts on this subject... here is one to start you off:

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/sho...ight=kali+yuga

Yet if you use the Search feature on HDF you will find multiple posts on this matter... take a look. If you wish to ask more questions after your review, please bring them up and we can all discuss it.

pranams
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

kali means strife. Complete Absence of yoga is called kali. A fairly advanced yogi whose still has doubts on the nature of reality is said to be in dvApara. ( dvApara means doubt). A highly advanced yogi who is close to arriving at the truth is in the treta yuga. In such a yogi the threefold goals of kAma, artha and dharma are fully established.

The jnAni who has completed yoga and liberated as a jIvanmukta is said to be in krita yuga. The word kritam means done or completed and such a yogi has completed yoga. Hence the word krita yuga.

By default we are always in kali yuga only. By the force of our will and dedication we move up these yugas and finally abide in brahman. You decide which yuga you want to be in by your thought and deeds. Satya yuga is very much here, but only if you aspire and ascend to it.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Namaste Sudarshan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
    kali means strife. Complete Absence of yoga is called kali. A fairly advanced yogi whose still has doubts on the nature of reality is said to be in dvApara. ( dvApara means doubt). A highly advanced yogi who is close to arriving at the truth is in the treta yuga. In such a yogi the threefold goals of kAma, artha and dharma are fully established.

The jnAni who has completed yoga and liberated as a jIvanmukta is said to be in krita yuga. The word kritam means done or completed and such a yogi has completed yoga. Hence the word krita yuga.

By default we are always in kali yuga only. By the force of our will and dedication we move up these yugas and finally abide in brahman. You decide which yuga you want to be in by your thought and deeds. Satya yuga is very much here, but only if you aspire and ascend to it.
    This is the first time I hear of this kind of correspondence between the 'chatur yuga' and 'chatur yoga', revealing yet another facet of Reality. Can you cite the textual reference?

Applying the same logic, can we say that in 'kali yuga' relates to following no dedicated path to Self-Realization, 'dvApara yuga' to the path of the uncertain duality of 'karma yoga', 'treta yuga' to 'bhakti yoga' where 'kAma, artha and dharma' established to their divine fullness and the 'jnAna yoga' path is the path that relates to 'kRuta yuga', the state of 'mokSha'?

You think there could be a similar correspondence ot the 'chatur varNa'?

Hari Om
    ~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    Namaste,

Can someone please explain me what is "Kali Yuga"?

Namaste,
    A reference for your consideration:

Kali Yuga
    The Mahābhārata, Vana Parva, Section CLXXXIX

Gives a nice oveview of Kali Yuga .

pranams

यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Namaste,

I read on Kali Yuga and as far as i understood it means something like "dark age" as oppossed to the "golden age". In Kali Yuga people are ill, greedy, evil, etc.. religion is less important, there is no morals etc..

Now we live in Kali Yuga, but im not sure how long is the period of Kali Yuga. Is the end of Kali Yuga near?

[B]When i look into the mirror i see india, the land of aryans, the craddle of civilization, the mother of all religions.[/B]

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by Indra View Post
    Now we live in Kali Yuga, but im not sure how long is the period of Kali Yuga. Is the end of Kali Yuga near?
    Namaste
    • kali कलि strife , discord , quarrel , contention ; of the die or side of a die marked with one dot.
    • kālī काली -black in color; night; a form of durgā
    • yuga युग - a yoke, measure of length
    It is said that kali yuga begain 3102 B.C. The day Kṛṣṇa left this earth.

Now the length of kali yuga has been of debate and there are 2 numbers quoted - 1200 and 432 ,000.
    The 1200 years is recognized as the years of the deva-s and this converts to 432,000 earth years. Yet there is contention on this number.
    Some argue that 1200 years is in fact man years, some say not. We have multiple HDF posts in the Jyotish file that give all the math the authors, etc. behind this thinking.

If kali yuga begain 3102 B.C. then 5,110 years have elapsed so far.
    Using the 432,000 year baseline ( as many believe) then:
    • 1.2% of Kali yuga has passed and there is 98.8% remaining.
    • If one was firm on the 1200 years being man years, this suggest something different. It suggests that kali yuga has come and gone and the other yuga-s have also occured.
    pranams
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si

_

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

Namaste
    • kali कलि strife , discord , quarrel , contention ; of the die or side of a die marked with one dot.
    • kālī काली -black in color; night; a form of durgā
    It is said that kali yuga begain 3102 B.C. The day Kṛṣṇa left this earth.

Now the length of kali yuga has been of debate and there are 2 numbers quoted - 1200 and 432 ,000.
    The 1200 years is recognized as the years of the deva-s and this converts to 432,000 earth years. Yet there is contention on this number.
    Some argue that 1200 years is in fact man years, some say not. We have multiple HDF posts in the Jyotish file that give all the math the authors, etc. behind this thinking.

If kali yuga begain 3102 B.C. then 5,110 years have elapsed so far.
    Using the 432,000 year baseline ( as many believe) then:
    • 1.2% of Kali yuga has passed and there is 98.8% remaining.
    • If one was firm on the 1200 years being man years, this suggest something different. It suggests that kali yuga has come and gone and the other yuga-s have also occured.
    pranams
    Namaste,

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yajvan View Post
    hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~
    I like most of your analysis but this part is wrong -- the word "Yoke" means to subjugate or to enslave -- like how two ox are tied together to move a cart.

This word directly comes from bible dictionary to manipulate "Pagan" cultures to assimilate them.

432, 000 is correct for human years and we have not yet felt the full blast of kali yuga.

Thread Information