Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Action in inaction and Inaction in action in BG

Re: Action in inaction and Inaction in action in BG

Yes, every living entity is eternal servant of the Lord. That is the Dharma of the living entity. Dharma meaning inherent constitutional position, just like Dharma of sugar is to be sweet.

The material world is described as perverted/distorted reflection of the spiritual world and the example in this regard is a tree at the bank of a river. The reflection of tree in the river is upside down, but the original tree is not upside down. So the activities of the material world, eventhogh they have their origins in the Spiritual World, they are perverted reflection of their original counterpart most of the time. In Kali Yuga it is very clear to see that.

Spiritual activity means any loving devotional service performed unto the Supreme Lord Krishna or unto any of the Vishnu Tattvas.

Example of that is BG 9:26

patram puspam phalam toyam
    yo me bhaktyā prayacchati
    tad aham bhakty-upahrtam
    aśnāmi prayatātmanah

Translation:

If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it. Other examples, like cleaning the Temple of Krishna, making garlands (mala) for Krishna etc. These are concrete spiritual activities and they do not result in any Karmic reaction.

So in summary any activity performed as a loving service to Lord is inaction in action.

Bhakti means unmotivated, uninterrupted, loving devotional service unto the Supreme Lord. Love without service is just a dry sentiment. I love you, I love you but I won't do anything for you - that is not love. Love results in service. In everyday practice, we can see if one loves other person, then he/she wants to do something for the other person. Sometimes the word servitude is misunderstood. The word servitude immediately springs up images of Malik-and-Naukar where Malik is usually exploiting the Naukar. Becuase that's the way things are in the material world. However still, there is other side to it for example a mother is serving the child by taking care of the child in every way - feeding the child, cleaning the child etc. But the mother is not servant in the sense of paid servant. She is doing it out of love.

In spiritual context, servitude means loving devotional service to Krishna.

Five types of spiritual rasas (devotional mellows):
    1. Shanta Rasa (a bit neutral mood. example of tree or stone in the spiritual world)
    2. Dasya Rasa (mood of servitude),
    3. Saukhya Rasa (mood of friendship with Krishna)
    4. Vatsalya Rasa (mood of parental affection for Krishna)
    5. Madurya Rasa (mood of conjugal love with Krishna like that between Krishna and Gopis)

All of the five rasas are exalted however the fifth one is considered most nectaterean according to Srimad Bhagvatam and Bhakti Rasamrit Sindhu. In all of the five rasas, service attitude, meaning lovingly doing things for Krishna, is there.

Re: Action in inaction and Inaction in action in BG

Admin Note

Hare Krishna Santosh,

Quote Originally Posted by santosh View Post
    Yes, every living entity is eternal servant of the Lord.
    I request you once again to qualify your posts by stating that this is ISCKON view and not make general sweeping statements like the above without that quaification.

There is a dedicated section for ISCKON on HDF, please share sri prabupada's knowledge there.

Thanks,
    satay

Thread Information