Thread: Srimad Ramanuja-acharya and AdiShesha

Srimad Ramanuja-acharya and AdiShesha

Namaste all.
    Some weeks ago I sended an e-mail to Shri Mani Varadarajan,the founder of the site http://www.ramanuja.com
    My fifth questions was:
    5)It is said that Srimad Ramanuja-acharya is an avatara of AdiShesa.Where is this said in the scriptures?

He replied the following:
    5. The belief that Sri Ramanuja is an avatara of Adisesha is traditional.
    It is not based, strictly speaking, on any shastra.One need not accept
    it to be a follower of Sri Ramanuja.

My questions is:why do Sri Vaishnava believ that Srimad Ramanuja-acharya is an avatara of AdiShesha?Who did say this?Some Sri Vaishnava acharyas?

Regards,
    Orlando.

Re: Srimad Ramanuja-acharya and AdiShesha

We find that in his biography known as Ramanuja Champu. Other Acharyas have been mentioned to be an avatar of Adisesha like Govindapada ( guru of Shankaracharya). All these are more of a traditional beleif.
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudarshan
    We find that in his biography known as Ramanuja Champu. Other Acharyas have been mentioned to be an avatar of Adisesha like Govindapada ( guru of Shankaracharya). All these are more of a traditional beleif.
    Nice citation.

However, I would like to say, www.ramanuja.com query itself is unwarranted. Scriptures cannot be rewritten after the birth of Shrimad Ramanujacharyar, hence asking for proof of scripture itself is funny idea.

It is said that shrimad aacharya has answered hundreds of opponents at the same time which is not possible for any human. Only vaishnav who can do so is Adisesha who has 1000 heads, thus this story corroborates the view that Shrimad Aacharya is the avatara of Adisesha

Further the word Adi Sesha means, Elder Servant, should indicate first servant. As the nature of first servant goes, he should be ready to serve all and does not mind negative impulses falling on his head. Shrimad Aacharya, has displayed this while revealing ashtaakshara mantra to all inspite of the ban imposed by his immediate guru. Upon questioning shrimad aacharya answered, "lest, except me everyone will be blessed with eternity, I am happy with that though I will suffer in hell for years", thus the identity suits well only to him

Jai shree krishna

Quote Originally Posted by ramkish42
    Nice citation.

However, I would like to say, www.ramanuja.com query itself is unwarranted. Scriptures cannot be rewritten after the birth of Shrimad Ramanujacharyar, hence asking for proof of scripture itself is funny idea.
    Scripture cannot be rewritten, but scripture is beyond time, past, present and future. Madhvas quote from some part of Rig Veda(?) to show that Madhva was the third incarnation of Vayu, and the first and second are Hanuman and Bhima. I have not seen which verses these are, and how valid they are, and how other schools interpret them. There is no such proof for other Acharayas, or atleast no such attempt was made to interpret the scripture in such a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sudarshan
    Scripture cannot be rewritten, but scripture is beyond time, past, present and future. Madhvas quote from some part of Rig Veda(?) to show that Madhva was the third incarnation of Vayu, and the first and second are Hanuman and Bhima. I have not seen which verses these are, and how valid they are, and how other schools interpret them. There is no such proof for other Acharayas, or atleast no such attempt was made to interpret the scripture in such a way.
    No offense meant, like the way Mohammedans quote

They quote Aham iti, as Ahamidi, and say as "said by ahmed".

Want to see, what Shri Madhavacharyar has commented on those verses. I am sure, a person of cadre who can interpret Mandukya karika of Goudapada in Dvaita way, should had commented on that verse also. I am sure he would not had sung his own glory, I deny to accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by ramkish42
    No offense meant, like the way Mohammedans quote

They quote Aham iti, as Ahamidi, and say as "said by ahmed".

Want to see, what Shri Madhavacharyar has commented on those verses. I am sure, a person of cadre who can interpret Mandukya karika of Goudapada in Dvaita way, should had commented on that verse also. I am sure he would not had sung his own glory, I deny to accept it.
    There is no doubt that this is there in his Rig Veda Bhasya, and I have personally read it, though I dont remember the exact location. I will try to post a reference, if I cant get the commentary again - I dont have a copy right now. What I heard is that non Madhvas interpret the Vayu there as Agni ( forgot the exact phrase used there). Will try to locate this.

See this:

http://www.dvaita.org/list/list_00/msg00121.html

user name:dvaita; password:dvaita

Bhagavad Ramanujacharya, also known as Udayavar (Lord of the 3 Worlds), Yatirajar (King of Sanyasis), Paramacharya (First Acharya), Jagathacharya (Lord of the Earth), Lakshmana Muni, Anantacharya, etc. was the Incarnation of Adi Sesha.

Just like all modest Bhaktas, Adi Sesha as Sri Ramanujacharya also did not speak of His divinity openly. However, there is no doubt that He was the same as Lakshmana, Balarama and Adi Sesha.

I will post a thread soon, addressing this issue (among many others). I'd be much obliged if you will take the time to read it.

Thread Information