Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ancient Egyptian Religion

Re: Ancient Egyptian Religion

Sunyata, I think the five to seven Egyptian consciousness principles--which there are at least two versions and probably several interpetations of--are more similar than you think to the six or seven consciousness principles in India also described as about five koshas or three upadhis.

One interesting thing I read but could not verify is an Egyptian sun god was 'On.' It sounds like the end of 'Ammon' (or Amen-Ra,) who is a sun god some people think is related to Om/Aum.

Namaste David,

That is very interesting! I had forgotten about the koshas contained in the Atman. It is quite a similar concept to what the Egyptians believed then, this idea of a soul made up of various layers.

As for the sun god you mentioned, it could well be Amun (Amen/Amoun) you are talking about. Although, he was not initially a sun god, he later became merged with the solar deity Ra to become the composite deity, Amun-Ra. This was mostly to appease both factions of worshippers, those who venerated Ra as the supreme god and those who had raised a local Theban deity named Amun to the status of king of all gods. The OM sound theory is interesting, but if has any foundation, my guess is it probably originated elsewhere. Amun in its original heiroglyphic transliteration sounds more like Imen than Amon, which meant "the Hidden One". I would be more inclined to associate it would the god, Khnum/Khnoum, believed to be the source of the Nile, and therefore, the source of life in Egypt. His name literally identified him as the potter-god of creation, "the Moulder", who gave form to everything. If OM were to manifest itself as deity to the Egyptians, I believe this god would be it. The heavy um/oum sound at the end of this name could even be closer attributed to the sacred OM syllable, maybe? Who knows if there is even a link there somewhere. But it's still fun to speculate.
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Namaste,

I almost hesitate to post to a thread so long untouched, but I have noticed instances where there seems to be thematic or symbolic echoes(? parallels? the proper word escapes me here)...

For instance, a common explanation given for the depiction of Maa Kali standing on Lord Shiva, with Her tongue protruding, is that She became indiscriminate in her fury, not stopping even after no asura remained, and that only Her Beloved Shiva placing himself in Her path could shock Her out of Her boundless rage... this tale of Egyptian goddess Hathor certainly strikes a few familiar notes, would you not agree?

There is also Lord Shiva's serene pose underneath Maa Kali's foot- often He is shown with one knee bent, one elbow bent. There is no massive coincidence here, but the Egyptians depicted their earth-god Geb as similarly lying down, with sky-goddess Nut stretched in a large arch over Geb, one's fingers meeting the other's toes, while air-god Shu keeps the pair eternally separated, holding Nut from below while seeming to stand on Geb. (Geb was also depicted at times with a prominent erection, unlike the attached picture!)

There is the tale of Osiris, Isis and Set, in which the jealous Set murders Osiris and dismembers the body, whereupon the pieces are scattered far and wide, with temples marking the sites of each body part....
    Only 14 in their case, not 51
    (Isis has to locate and reunite the parts, and succeeds with the exception of the lingam, of which she then creates an acceptable substitute.. feel free to pursue further details on your own)

Please do not mistake this post as an attempt to stir up controversy, or in any way insinuate foreign origin of anything... perhaps further clarity lies beneath the waters of Khambhat..? If science says that 40,000 years ago (minimally), human brains were just as capable as anyone's alive today, why is there such resistance to the idea that perhaps the first 30,000 of those might have witnessed more complex society than indicated by cave-paintings and carvings of mammoth ivory?

Please excuse my self-indulgence in such a posting; time for me to limit focus on Sri Durga Saptashati and the breath

JAI MATA DI
    Attached Images Attached Images

Namast, all,

Another bit of information to add for the curiosity of anyone reading:

http://satyavidya.com/egypt.htm

It's an interesting essay detailing many correspondences between the Egyptian pantheon and various Vedic devatās.

Indraneela
    ===
    Oṁ Indrāya Namaḥ.
    Oṁ Namaḥ Śivāya.

Thumbs Up Re: Ancient Egyptian Religion

this is not a controversial topic I think. in fact parallels between two religions interests me as well. while readin Greek literature i came across many Greek gods, godesses and stories that resemble the gods, godesses and stories from hinduism. like king of greek gods was Zeus whose main weapon is a thunderbolt and in hinduism the king of gods is Indra whose main weapon is Vajra also in the shape of lightening.

Thread Information