Thread: Sadāśiva - different?

Sadāśiva - different?

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namaste

It is very infrequent to rare that I see or read anything on sadāśiva (specifically). For those that practice Śaivism, do you see sadāśiva differently ? That is, is sadāśiva (not opposed to, but) perhaps a aspect of śiva as Śivabhaṭṭāraka or Maheśvara ? If so , how so?

What are your thoughts on sadāśiva ?
    sadāśiva सदाशिव sadā + śiva : sadā सदा- always , ever, continually + śiva शिव the Auspicious One. This word śiva is defined as propitious , gracious , favourable , benign , kind , benevolent , friendly , dear and is rooted in śī which is ' in whom all things lie' ; śī also defined as tranquility, devotion, repose, rest.
    Hence sadāśiva is the ever and continually tranquil & auspicious, kind and benevolent One.

महेश्वराय नमः
    oṁ maheśvarāya nama

pranams

words
    • śī शी -' in whom all things lie' and is also defined as tranquility, devotion, repose, rest, sleep.
    • Śivabhaṭṭāraka is Śiva-bhaṭṭāra. Bhaṭṭāra is the great lord , venerable or worshipful; bhaṭ भट्- nourish , maintain
    Last edited by yajvan; 05 March 2009 at 06:58 PM.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Re: Sadāśiva - different? : A bit deeper

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~

Namaste

What are your thoughts on sadāśiva ?
    sadāśiva सदाशिव sadā + śiva : sadā सदा- always , ever, continually + śiva शिव the Auspicious One. This word śiva is defined as propitious , gracious , favourable , benign , kind , benevolent , friendly , dear and is rooted in śī which is ' in whom all things lie' ; śī also defined as tranquility, devotion, repose, rest.
    Hence sadāśiva is the ever and continually tranquily & auspicious, kind and benevolent One.

What do we know of sadāśiva that may help in understanding this expression Parameśvara. Let me offer what I understand and have studied so far.
    Sadāśiva is often depicted as Sadāśivamūrta the 5 faced-One. What are these 5 faces?
    • Iśāna and this face looks up
    • Tatpuruśa faces East
    • Sadyojāta faces West
    • madeva faces North
    • Aghora faces South.
    Now what is the 5 all about ? Śiva's pañcakṛityavidhiḥ (5 great acts). The 5 comes out allot when associated with Śivabhaṭṭāraka. Let me list them out as I understand it ( all additional insights and corrections are welcomed).
    • Sṛiṣṭi or the act ( śakti ) of creation - being creative - hence Sadyojāta
    • Sthiti or protective act - hence Vāmadeva
    • Saṁhāra the destructive act - hence Aghora
    • Tirodhāna the act of concealing His nature - hence Tatpuruśa
    • Anugraha the act of revealing His nature - hence Iśāna
    There is another view ( not different, just another view)
    • Brahmā ¹ is the creator
    • Viṣṇu is the preserver and protector
    • Rudra is the destroyer
    • Maheśvara is the obscuruer or concealing His nature
    • Sadāśiva is the revealer the giver of anugraha ( grace)
    It's said the 4 veda's were revealed by the first 4 listed above, and Iśāna-Sadāśiva revealed the āgama-s via his grace.
    We have also talked about this anugrha (grace) on another HDF post http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showpost.php?p=24586&postcount=3 and lists out the types ¹ i.e. tīvra, madhya, and manda.
    We can see by His grace why His name means (sadāśiva) the ever and continually tranquily & auspicious, kind and benevolent One.

महेश्वरायनमः
    oṁ maheśvarāya nama

pranams

words
    • When Brahmā ब्रह्मा is written with long ā it is considered saguṇa or with attributes - He is the Creator; When Brahma ब्रह्म is written with the short a, then He is nirguṇa , the Formless, without attributes, the Absolute.
    • tīvra तीव्रis strong, intense, pervading
    • madhya मध्यis middle, central, middlemost , intermediate, central
    • manda मन्दis slow,softly, slight or slack, gentle. Also note manda is another name of śani, mandi, the slow moving one.
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information