Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out this PBS special on India

Check out this PBS special on India

http://http://www.pbs.org/thestoryofindia/

Its pretty interesting to. There is even a section where you can ask the author a question. They did not say anything about the Dravidians and believe that that the Aryans came from Turkastein and that they were the ones described in the Rig Veda.

The last episode they talked about the spice trade, the silk road, and Ayodha where the Ramayana takes place.

They also talked about king Kush. The Buddhist king.
    "My spiritual father is Swami Vivekananda" Canibus

Re: Check out this PBS special on India

thanks for the info
    ॐ महेश्वराय नमः

|| Om Namo Bhagavate Rudraya ||

Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo Shankara

3. Cool Re: Check out this PBS special on India

Kush was Hindu (Dharm) King not Buddhist

Edited-
    The Aryan Invasion thery is totally wrong, this is not the problem of Dravidian of this fake story, they have made it Marathas, Rajputs, Gujjars, Jats, Jains etc were targets of Aryan Invasion in all there caste related websites.
    Last edited by PARAM; 30 December 2010 at 10:13 AM. Reason: edit
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

Quote Originally Posted by PARAM View Post
    The Aryan Invasion theory is totally wrong, this is not the problem of Dravidian of this fake story, they have made it Marathas, Rajputs, Gujjars, Jats, Jains etc were targets of Aryan Invasion in all there caste related websites.
    Being from the deep Northwest, all these people of different castes/ethnicities who believe in the Aryan Invasion theory, must think of me as the 'Ugly Aryan Invader' who subjugated them.
    Last edited by Believer; 30 December 2010 at 03:13 PM.

5. Cool Re: Check out this PBS special on India

This is not for Joke, we have to spread the Truth, Arya means Noble and not any clan, Europeans were proud to be called Arya thats why they made it, this was used by British to protect their Common Empire, after India's freedom, nasty Politicians are supporting this just to make their vote bank, and Muslims Christians for divide Dharma
    Last edited by PARAM; 31 December 2010 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Edit
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

I've been watching this show...about 4 episodes in. Here are my main issues:

1. Aryan Invasion Theory hogwash. It's presented as "fact," with no mention of competing scholarship or the use of the AIT by Europeans as a means of subjugation...no mention of its use by the Nazis...and no mention of the fact that the dates used to "prove" the AIT come totally from the Christian Bible, and not from verifiable fact. They had B.B. Lal on for a bit, and talked about the recent re-discovery of the Sarasvati River...but there was no mention of the impact of that evidence in regards to debunking the AIT.

2. Look. I'm of European ethnicity. But when I'm watching a documentary on India...I don't want to watch some annoying Englishman as the host and narrator. The guy (Anglo-Saxon historian Michael Wood) acts like he has this perpetual confused amazement at everything, which only makes me feel uncomfortable watching him. Plus, as noted above, he really has no credentials in this field of study, but rather has spent most of his "academic" life making dozens of these kinds of documentaries. The fact that the BBC can't find a single damned historian or archaeologist from India, (or at least an English person of Indian heritage) and has to import someone from England just seems to make the choice based solely on skin color. This kind of documentary needed a host with "gravitas," not some effete Englishman who looks like he giggles between shots and says, "Oh look! Let's get a shot of the natives!"

It has some great pictures, and the cinematography is wonderful. But really...it's more of a travel guide for British people who want to come to good 'ol "Injah!" and prance about in khakis and pith helmets.

2. Look. I'm of European ethnicity. But when I'm watching a documentary on India...I don't want to watch some annoying Englishman as the host and narrator. The guy (Anglo-Saxon historian Michael Wood) acts like he has this perpetual confused amazement at everything, which only makes me feel uncomfortable watching him. Plus, as noted above, he really has no credentials in this field of study, but rather has spent most of his "academic" life making dozens of these kinds of documentaries. The fact that the BBC can't find a single damned historian or archaeologist from India, (or at least an English person of Indian heritage) and has to import someone from England just seems to make the choice based solely on skin color. This kind of documentary needed a host with "gravitas," not some effete Englishman who looks like he giggles between shots and says, "Oh look! Let's get a shot of the natives!"
    This is common in British documentaries, even in documentaries on mathematics. It's quite annoying indeed.

Vannakkam: But at least the Brits make up for it in their comedies. Faulty Towers, Hyacinth Bucket, etc.

In a way the pompous condescending attitude makes it easier to interpret as 'perhaps hogwash'. The 'insider' seriousness is more dangerous. For example, if they hired a guy from Delhi with an accent, would the Hindus be more likely to believe the exact same information? Certainly this strategy works for the Christians of Kerala, among other places.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste,

I saw the documentary last year, and I agree with Bryon. It had its good points and its bad points, although the presenting of the AIT as fact was annoying. At first, having the Englishman as a narrator didn't really bother me, but now I see the point that Bryon is making.

Jai Sri Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Sahasranama View Post
    This is common in British documentaries, even in documentaries on mathematics. It's quite annoying indeed.
    Like I said before: India needs an Indian version of Dr. Zahi Hawass. There are probably hundreds of documentaries on ancient Egypt shown on American television each year...and all of them are under the watchful eye of Dr. Hawass...or Dr. Hawass doesn't let them film the documentary! Heck, he's become such a "celebrity" that they made a reality show following him around ("Chasing Mummies"). Hawass has that "gravitas" that I'm talking about...and it's not just because he's a native Egyptian.

Thread Information