hari o
~~~~~

namasté

I have another view on this matter as I view the various posts above.

Debates (vāda) here on HDF are sometimes argumentation (tarka) or more serious disputes (jalpa) some may call overbearing replies others may view just as a quibble (cala).

Yet over time within a string that heats-up, a certain gravity occurs and we see the beginning of destructive criticisms ( vitaṇḍā&#185.
For this I do not understand... why so? I thought the 'opponent' here on HDF was false knowledge ( mithyājñāna) , no?

I thought most if not all would consider the notion of helping others remove blemishes or defects (doṣa) by offering insights, options, wisdom from the śāstra-s and āgama-s that would assist in removing that blemish.

I am in hopes that the focus of HDF is about the pursuit of the higher good (niḥśreyasa&#185 though knowledgeable subjects, feedback, most noble debates and ideas that are offered.
Yet it seems at times this is not so and that the higher good is discounted when the conversation tumbles to its knees and the discussion is unfit to continue (nigrahasthāna¹).
Why so? Criticisms (vitaṇḍā) manifest and causes harm or at the least road-blocks.

Now are debates 'bad' when there is opposing views ? I think not, yet what is needed? An approach that is balanced , with mindful restraint as needed. If one loses a argument it still produces success... there is success in nīca ( humbleness); it is okay to say I see your point, perhaps my view now needs to be adjusted. I see this only infrequently here on HDF.

As I see it we are simple people - we are here to advance our understanding. We all stand on the shoulders of the wise, and for this we are to become better people.
Of what good does it bring to have a foot on another's throat that has fallen to the ground? This as I see it is beneath the dignity of sanātana dharma.

praṇām

words
  • vitaṇḍā - fallacious controversy , perverse or frivolous argument
  • niḥśreyasa -' having no better ', best , most excellent
  • nigrahasthāna - the position of being unfit to carry on an argument from impossibility of agreeing about first principles