Thread: Parvati as the source, Kali and Durga as emanations?

Parvati as the source, Kali and Durga as emanations?

My question is about the goddess Parvati. It is my understanding she is the supreme goddess. I was under the impression Kali and Durga arose from her. I do know the story that Siva, Brahma and Vishnu create Durga from their power. But is she not an emanation of Parvati? I would appreciate scriptural sources on this matter as it is of high importance to be correct about it.

Even if one could direct me to a source of more information I would be happy to plow through some scripture.

Naomi
    Om Hrim Kshraum Ugram Veeram Maha-Vishnum, Jwalantham Sarvatho Mukham Nrisimham Bheeshanam Bhadram Mrityu-Mrityum Namaamyaham

Follower of Śeṣanaaga

Re: Parvati as the source, Kali and Durga as emanations?

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi Ningishzidda View Post
    My question is about the goddess Parvati. It is my understanding she is the supreme goddess. I was under the impression Kali and Durga arose from her. I do know the story that Siva, Brahma and Vishnu create Durga from their power. But is she not an emanation of Parvati? I would appreciate scriptural sources on this matter as it is of high importance to be correct about it.

Even if one could direct me to a source of more information I would be happy to plow through some scripture.

Naomi
    Pranam,
    Mother Parvati is the consort of Lord Shiva and the mother of Shri Ganesh. Devi Durga is the combined form of Mother Parvati, Mother Laxmi and Mother Saravati.

Namaste

Here is a summary of the myriad names of DevI based on her form, attributes, action and position, from the 'Hindu Classical Dictionary'. This work can be downloaded at http://www.archive.org/download/acla...00dowsuoft.pdf (41.9 MB).

DEVI. (devI) 'The goddess', or MahA-devI, 'the great goddess,' wife of the god Shiva, and daughter of Himavat, i.e., the HimAlaya mountains. She is mentioned in the MahA-bhAratA under a variety of names, and with several of her peculiar characteristics, but she owes her great distinction to the Purawas and later works.

• As the Shakti or female energy of Shiva she has two characters, one mild, the other fierce; and it is underthe latter that she is especially worshipped.

• She has a great variety of names, referable to her various forms, attributes, and actions, but these names are not always used accurately and distinctively.

• In her milder form she is UmA, 'light,' and a type of beauty; GaurI, 'the yellow or brilliant'; PArvatI, 'the mountaineer' and HaimavatI, from her parentage; Jagan-mAtA, 'the mother of the world' and Bhavani.

• In her terrible form she is DurgA, the inaccessible; KAlI and ShyAmA, 'the black'; ChaNDI and ChaNDikA, 'the fierce'; and BhairavI, the terrible.

• She has ten arms, and in most of her hands there are weapons. As DurgA she is a beautiful yellow woman, riding on a tiger in a fierce and menacing attitude. As KAlI or KAlikA, 'the black', "she is represented with a black skin, a hideous and terrible countenance, dripping with blood, encircled with snakes, hung round with skulls and human heads, and in all respects resembling a fury rather than a goddess."

• As Vindhya-vAsini,'the dweller in the Vindhyas,' she is worshipped at a place of that name where the Vindhyas approach the Ganges, near Mirzapnr. As MahA-mAyA she is the great illusion.

• The ChaNDI-mahAtmiyA, which celebrates the victories of this goddess over the Asuras, speaks of her under the following names: 1. DurgA, when she received the messengers of the Asuras. 2. Dasa-bhujA, 'Ten-armed,' when she destroyed part of their army. 3. Sinha-vAhini, 'Riding on a lion,' when she fought with the Asura general Rakta-vIja. 4. Mahisha-mardinI, 'Destroyer of Mahisha,' an Asura in the form of a buffalo. 5. Jagad-dhAtri, 'Fosterer of the world,' when she again defeated the Asura army. 6. KAlI, 'The black', She killed Rakta-vIja. 7. Mukta-keshI, 'With dishevelled hair.' Again defeats the Asuras. 8. TArA, 'Star'. She killed Shumbha. 9. Chhinna-mastakA, 'Decapitated,' the the headless form in which she killed Nishumbha. 10. JagadgaurI, 'World's fair one,' as lauded by the gods for her triumphs.

• The names which DevI obtains from her husband are: BabhravI (Babhru), BhagavatI, IshAnI, IshwarI, KAlanjarI, KapAlinI, KaushikI, KirAtI, MaheshvarI, MridA, MridAnI, RudrANI, SharvANI, ShivA, TriyambakI.

• From her origin she is called AdrijA and GirijA, 'mountain-born'; KujA, 'earth-born'; DakShajA, 'sprung from DakShA.

• She is KanyA, 'the virgin'; KanyAkumArI, 'the youthful virgin' and AmbikA, 'the mother'; AvarA, 'the youngest'; AnantA and NityA, 'the everlasting'; AryA, 'the revered'; VijayA, 'victorious'; Riddhi, 'the rich'; SatI, 'virtuous'; DakShiNA, 'right-handed'; PingA, 'tawny, dark'; KarburI, 'spotted'; BhramarI, 'the bee'; KoTarI, 'the naked'; KarNamotI, 'pearl-eared'; Padma-lAnchanA, 'distinguished by a lotus'; SarvamangaLA, 'always auspicious'; ShAkamhharI, 'nourisher of herbs'; Shiva-dUti, 'Shiva's messenger'; SinharathI, 'riding a lion';

• As addicted to austeriries she is AparNA and KAtyAyanI. As BhUtanAyakI, she is chief or leader of the goblins and as GaNanAyakI, the leader of the GaNas. She is KAmAkShi, 'wanton-eyed'; and KAmAkhyA, 'calling by the name of KAma, desire'.

• Other names, most of them applicable to her terrible forms are BhadrakAlI, BhImadevI, ChAmuNDA, MahAkAlI, MahAmArI, MahAsUrI, MAtangI, RajasI, 'the fierce' and RaktadantI, 'red or bloody toothed'.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

hari o
    ~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Naomi Ningishzidda View Post
    My question is about the goddess Parvati. It is my understanding she is the supreme goddess.
    Naomi
    Namast Naomi,

Saidevo's offer was extremely comprehensive... I only wish to add an item for your consideration.

• Pārvatī पार्वती - a mountain stream ; and as saidevo mentions, daughter of hima-vat.
    • Parvata पर्वत - a mountain , mountain-range
    It seems reasonable to consider who is this śakti this Śrī Devī , Pārvatī, some call Śaivī, lakṣmī, gaurī, sitā, satī, sāvitrī, dākṣāyaṇī ?

She is considered parā-bhaṭṭarikārūpe says Abhinavagupta-ji. What of this word he offers us?
    • para परा - is exceeding, Supreme (anuttara) or beyond any equal
    • bhaṭṭāra - the great lord , venerable or worshipful;
    • bhaṭ भट्- nourish , maintain ; hence,
    • bhaṭṭari is the feminine gender of this word.
    • kārūpe or kārūpa = ka + rūpa : ka is spendor, light ; rupa रूप is form, also loveliness , grace , beauty , splendour.
    She is exceedingly, the Supreme of splendor and light. The one who follows śakti adores (īḍya ईड्य-praise, invoke) the Supreme (anuttara) Being (sattā) as the Divine Śakti.

Divine Śakti is known by many names. Lalitā (She who plays) sahasramḥ (some write it as sahasranāma which = 1,000) offers 1,000 views or names of Her. Here are 10 views of Śrī Devī for your consideration on HDF: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=3226

praṇām

reference
    parā-bhaṭṭarikārūpe is found in Abhinavagupta-ji's Parā-trīśikā Vivaraa
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thread Information