Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: BibleGod vs Krishna

BibleGod vs Krishna

BibleGod vs Krishna

Put Jehovah and Krishna parallel with each other. The former, "from the clouds and darkness of Sinai," said to the Jews: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me. . . .

Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them nor serve them; for I, the Lord thy God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquities of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me."

Contrast this with the words of Krishna [Bhagwad Gita Ch 9] "I am the same to all mankind. They who honestly serve other gods, involuntarily worship me. I am he who partaketh of all worship, and I am the reward of all worshippers."

Compare these passages. The first, a dungeon where crawl the things begot of jealous slime; the other, great as the domed firmament inlaid with suns. . . .

The "first" is the god who haunted Calvin's fancy, when he added to his doctrine of predestination that of Hell being paved with the skulls of unbaptized infants. The beliefs and dogmas of church are far more blasphemous in the ideas they imply than those of the benighted Heathen.

The second is a God whose refuge is available to all, including christians only if they honestly serve their Jesus.

The first is ready to punish many generations for the perceived sins of one generation, the other has no such threats.

The first will reward those who dash the babies on the rocks, the other SHALL protect the babies even in the womb, and SHALL punish those who kill the babies, born or unborn.

Re: BibleGod vs Krishna

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté rcscwc.

I have read your post. Can you assist me with your outcomes or conclusions you have drawn?

praṇām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

"These cruel haters, worst among men in the world, I hurl these evil-doers into the wombs of demons only. Entering into demoniacal wombs and deluded, birth after birth, not attaining me, they thus fall, Oh Arjuna, into a condition still lower than that,"

This is not from Bible. Dvaita bound tamashic interpreters can always find something out of context and preach eternal damnation, whether in HInduism or in any other religion. On examining closely, I find the phrase "These cruel haters -----" as the key to understanding.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 27 March 2009 at 09:23 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Verse number please

Quote Originally Posted by rcscwc View Post
    Verse number please
    Namaste,

BG 16.19-20

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

6. Re: BibleGod vs Krishna

The differences between Sri Krishna and the "god" of the Bible are legion.

The Biblical god tells Moses that he is a jealous god, and that "thou shalt have no other gods before me." By contrast, Sri Krishna acknowledges anya-devata worship and states that worshippers of anya-devatas go to the worlds of anya-devatas, which He contrasts with His own eternal abode. He merely states this factually but does not maintain any hostility towards them.

The Biblical god demands loyalty and punishes disobedience with death. In Exodus, it is recorded that the Hebrews who took to the worship of the golden calf were punished with death when Moses came back down from Mt Sinai. By contrast, Sri Krishna never forces Arjuna to do anything. It is Arjuna who, in the 18th chapter of the Gita, indicates that his doubts are dispelled and that he is now willing to act according to Sri Krishna's instructions.

The Biblical god punishes the people of Egypt because pharaoah is stubborn and will not let the Hebrews go. As a result, the Egyptians suffer from plagues, locusts, etc and even the death of their first born. Does Sri Krishna do this? In the Bhagavata it is indicated that even the followers of Duryodhana who fought on his behalf got liberation by seeing Sri Krishna.

Anyone who claims that the "god" of the Bible is the same as the Supreme Brahman/Ishvara/Sri Krishna of the Vedas cannot maintain such a claim on logical grounds. For two things to be the same, they must have identical properties - this is elementary logic. But from even the most superficial comparison, we see that there are many differences between Sri Krishna and the Biblical god.

Quote Originally Posted by raghu_001 View Post
    Anyone who claims that the "god" of the Bible is the same as the Supreme Brahman/Ishvara/Sri Krishna of the Vedas cannot maintain such a claim on logical grounds. For two things to be the same, they must have identical properties - this is elementary logic. But from even the most superficial comparison, we see that there are many differences between Sri Krishna and the Biblical god.
    Namaste,

Are there two Gods? You yourself said, in another post, that properties of God cannot be discerned. Then how do we discern two Gods?

Om

Namaste everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Are there two Gods? You yourself said, in another post, that properties of God cannot be discerned. Then how do we discern two Gods?
    I think we are wrangling over wrong points: it is not that there are two or more Gods (the Biblical, the Quranic and the Vedic) but that there are differing perceptions about the One God in these three religions, and the perceptions in the Abrahamic religions are certainly lacking in depth and text.

Sri KrishNa does sound like the Biblical God on a superficial reading of the BG verses 16.19-20 quoted by Atanu, but then in those verses KrishNa only talks about the inexorable law of Karma as Swamy Chinmayananta explains in his comments to these verses.

In BG, Sri KrishNa talks about karma, dharma, adharma, svadharma, and varNa as much as he talks about the three Yoga Paths. Do we find such depth and text of teaching in the Bible or the Quran even by some extrapolation?
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

9. Re: BibleGod vs Krishna

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Namaste,

Om
    No, reread what I wrote. I said that one cannot *fully* understand God because the infinite concept will not fit into one's head. Nevertheless, one can *begin* to understand Him by taking the shastras as a guide - hence "shAstra yonitvAt" of the brahma-sUtras.

Now as far as shAstras are concerned there is no evidence that the deity described in the Bible is the same Supreme Brahman worshipped by the Hindus. Logically there is only one Supreme Brahman (or God, or whatever term you prefer to use). If the Biblical "god" is the same as para Brahman, and we are to accept such a position without shaastric evidence, then at least logically there should be some supporting evidence in the form of these two deities having similar attributes and/or not teaching mutually contradictory belief systems. But factually this is not what we observe. The Biblical god is extremely intolerant of other deities while Sri Krishna offers no incitement towards violence against followers of other deities. The Biblical god hates "idol worship" while we know that icon worship is integral to Hindu culture and even Sri Krishna participated in it. There are so many examples, but suffice it to say that taking these respective scriptures at their word, these two God-concepts are different, and hence these two deities are likely different deities.

The Biblical god may be a minor deity or a figment of someone else's imagination. But to say that he is the same as para Brahman Sri Krishna is nothing more than politically correct white wash that could only be believed by someone who is unfamiliar with both sets of scriptures.

Quote Originally Posted by raghu_001 View Post
    No, reread what I wrote. I said that one cannot *fully* understand God because the infinite concept will not fit into one's head.

The Biblical god may be a minor deity or a figment of someone else's imagination.

Namaste Raghu,

You are correct that perceptions vary.

But that Bible God is a figment of someone's imagination is another such perception,which pre-supposses that things proceed from our end. No. DA-DA-Da is given to all from one God but Da-Da-Da is understood in three different ways as per guna predisposition.

Sages such as Kanchi Shankaracharya and most other Self Realised sages have not questioned that Bible and Koran are indeed the revealed word (vak-saraswati) just as Veda is. Who are we?

But if you were to really study Bible or Koran or Veda in full, you will find that the jealous God is indeed our own inner being (in a particular stage) and that same inner being is benevolent shivam (at another stage). Scriptures do mention of both these states of the Self-Brahman-God. These states are states of our understanding and depends on our actions-wisdom, but Brahman is immutable.

There is nothing that has not flowed from the immutable.

Om

Thread Information