Thread: Mixing elements from different Yoga's.

Question Mixing elements from different Yoga's.

Is it ok for one to mix different elements from different Yoga schools?

For example:
    I believe in Advaita Vedanta, although I tried Atma-Vichara and it got me a bit confused... It seems to be a very intense form of meditation.
    I practice some surya namaskar's and I have very strong interest in meditation in general, Buddhist, Atma-Vichara, Raja Yoga...
    Also I think practicing Bhakti would probably make me a bit more grounded and humble. I tried an exercise today that I think is compatibe with Advaita, which was to look at other human's as Brahman, more precisely as just another myself inside another body. The feeling was very good...

What's your opinion on this?
    This mixture of different styles??

Re: Mixing elements from different Yoga's.

I think mixing of different styles of inquiry is just fine because they are complementarity to one another, like the six Hindu systems of philosophy.

• Advaita, as the highest form of inquiry, is a top-down approach: we consider ourselves as the Self--Atman--Brahman and inquire into why we became what we are.

• Bhakti, the ground-level form of inquiry, is a bottom-up approach: we consider ourselves to be our favourite deity's subjects and the deity as our ruler and seek his/her grace to upgrade ourselves to become eligible for a suitable form of mokSha ('sAlokya', etc). (http://www.christinemoore.freeserve...._is_a_yogi.htm)

• Asanas and namaskAras, yama and niyama, svadharma, and yoga meditation are sAdhanas (tools) to know our present level of spiritual development and prod us on in the path we choose.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

The first meditation I've read about, was one that rung a bell inside... I "fell in love" with it! Maybe it was a sign.

I think it is called "unstructured meditation". It is kind of what Jiddu Krishnamurti recommends.
    To observe whatever arises in consciousness, be it thoughts, emotions, images, sense information, imagination, etc...

Is there a place for this kind of meditation in Raja Yoga? My former yoga teacher used to say it was a very good meditation...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlipAsso View Post
    Is it ok for one to mix different elements from different Yoga schools?

For example:
    I believe in Advaita Vedanta, although I tried Atma-Vichara and it got me a bit confused...
    Well, yes, it could be confusing. Here is an analogy. I used to teach grade school. In Britain, and elsewhere, I presume, for basic subtraction, there is an algorithm. The algorithm that is used and taught here in Canada is a different one. I had a colleague come to me once with this problem. A new student fresh from England had arrived, and set about doing some subtraction problems. His teacher, not being well trained in Math, simply could not figure out how he was getting all correct answers yet was doing it completely the wrong way.
    For the life of me I could not convince her that it was unnecessary to teach him the Canadian algorithm. It worked for him. Why change it. Now if I tried to teach both algorithms at the same time, only a few of my students would get it. (Those that actually understood subtraction from the real level of a set being removed from a set) The rest would be confused and probably be combining bits and pieces of each algorithm, arriving at wrong answers all the time. So, if you understand things in a deeper way, fine, but if you dont, well, yes you could get confused.

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information