Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Was Muhammad a Yogi?

Re: Was Muhammad a Yogi?

Was Moohamad a yogi? No, he was a rapist and a pervert.

Why Mohammed was not a prophet:

One who claims to be a messenger of God is expected to live a saintly life. He must not be given to lust, he must not be a sexual pervert, and he must not be a rapist, a highway robber, a war criminal, a mass murderer or an assassin. One who claims to be a messenger of God must have a superior character. He must stand above the vices of the people of his time. Yet Muhammad’s life is that of a gangster godfather. He raided merchant caravans, looted innocent people, massacred entire male populations and enslaved the women and children. He raped the women captured in war after killing their husbands and told his followers that it is okay to have sex with their captives and their “right hand possessions” (Quran 33:50) He assassinated those who criticized him and executed them when he came to power and became de facto despot of Arabia. Muhammad was bereft of human compassion. He was an obsessed man with his dreams of grandiosity and could not forgive those who stood in his way. Muhammad was a narcissist like Hitler, Saddam or Stalin. He was astute and knew how to manipulate people, but his emotional intelligence was less evolved than that of a 6-year-old child. He simply could not feel the pain of others. He brutally massacred thousands of innocent people and pillaged their wealth. His ambitions were big and as a narcissist he honestly believed he is entitled to do as he pleased and commit all sorts of crimes and his evil deeds are justified.
    http://www.apostatesofislam.com/
    satay

Satay,
    I respect your opinions. However, one thing to note is the site is 'apostates of Islam'. Most of apostates or ex-muslim sites have strong Christian support or recieve some maintenance funds from fundi Christians and many Muslims have already refuted their claims.

I personally know some people, who have converted to Christianity from Hinduism, they go on about criticizing Krishna, and describes Shri Krishna with all kind words which are used below.

So, it is the same tactic. I personally have some issues with conduct of Muhammed. I think later Islamic saints like Rabia, Rumi were much more spiritual than Muhammed. However, I would not quote following site.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    Was Moohamad a yogi? No, he was a rapist and a pervert.

http://www.apostatesofislam.com/
    Thy right is to work only, but never with its fruits; let not the fruits of the action be thy motive, nor let thy attachment be to inaction.

Quran 4:34: Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in their sleeping places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.
    The part with the blue font is stupendous. No doubt mA is so caring, She does exactly that which God does -- guarding the unseen, guarding the good, guarding those who will excel others for the good of all.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

namaskar,

Quote Originally Posted by reflections View Post
    Satay,
    I respect your opinions. However, one thing to note is the site is 'apostates of Islam'. Most of apostates or ex-muslim sites have strong Christian support or recieve some maintenance funds from fundi Christians and many Muslims have already refuted their claims.
    Thanks for the comments reflections.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have made that post to begin with. I got carried away.
    satay

Namaste Satay,
    No issues
    Normally you are balanced, King Akbar might have irritated you.

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    namaskar,

Thanks for the comments reflections.

In hindsight, I shouldn't have made that post to begin with. I got carried away.
    Thy right is to work only, but never with its fruits; let not the fruits of the action be thy motive, nor let thy attachment be to inaction.

Namaste sunyatisunya.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyatisunya View Post
    All of this is true concerning the external life of a Yogi but there's no law written in the sky which says those things cannot be done by such a one.
    Plenty of quotes how a yogi behaves/supposedly behaves.Off the top of my mind i recall from gita
    5;11.

There are only a few bits in the Qur'an which give me the impression that they could've come from a truly enlightened soul.
    Could be and there is evidence that muhammad borrowed a lot from a variety of people;not just from torah.

I'm thinking of the Light Verse and the string of verses after it which are all very illuminated. The rest is very powerful (in Arabic) prose that certainly came from a great source.
    The original source appears Certainly not from a killer and slave trader.

Regarding Muhammad's (lack of) religious tolerance and the destruction of the idols in the Ka'ba and around Arabia - I have, at times, wondered whether this was not a sort of extreme teaching. Not the obvious "We're right, you're wrong" mentality but a sort of blow to awaken them deep in their minds.
    Yes to awaken the gullible wanderers to the prospect of rich plunder(Spoils of war; booty; chaper 8 quran).

It was a very, very revolutionary thing that Muhammad did in his life - this must always be kept in mind. He turned a vast land of warring tribes, religious differences, and ancient mythology into a unified whole under one religion.
    You are thoroughly mistaken on few counts.

1) religious differences didn't play a role in those warrings before muhammed.Christians and jews were living along with qureshi arabs with no record of religious wars.

2)Muhammaed was revolutionary in the sense he demolished some ethics the arabs had before, with the help of quranic verses: like treating the wife of adopted son as their own daughters , not harming women in a war etc..

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Quran 4:34: Men are the maintainers of women because Allah has made some of them to excel others and because they spend out of their property; the good women are therefore obedient, guarding the unseen as Allah has guarded; and (as to) those on whose part you fear desertion, admonish them, and leave them alone in their sleeping places and beat them; then if they obey you, do not seek a way against them; surely Allah is High, Great.
    The part with the blue font is stupendous. No doubt mA is so caring, She does exactly that which God does -- guarding the unseen, guarding the good, guarding those who will excel others for the good of all.
    Om
    It reminds me of this one:

"7) If she does not willingly yield her body to him, he should buy her with presents. If she is still unyielding, he should strike her with a stick or with his hand and overcome her, repeating the following mantra: "With power and glory I take away your glory." Thus she becomes discredited.
    8) If she grants his desire, he should repeat the following mantra: "With power and glory I give you glory." Thus they both become glorious
    ." (Brihadaranyaka Upanishad, PART SIX, Chapter IV)
    “There is a Guru in each of us. It is the Atma principle. It is the Eternal Witness functioning as Conscience in everyone. With this Conscience as guide, let all actions be done.” (sss20-15)

hindu religion teaches us tolerance. we consider the the whole world as our family. why are we then being judgemental. if millions of people have chosen a particular faith then we are nobody to judge their faith, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by rkpande View Post
    hindu religion teaches us tolerance. we consider the the whole world as our family. why are we then being judgemental. if millions of people have chosen a particular faith then we are nobody to judge their faith, either way.
    If one knows that such faith(s) killed millions of hindus and continue to kill one cannot avoid being judgmental.

I've done quite an extensive personal study of the Prophet Muhammad's life and the beginnings of Islam. I've read dozens of translations of the Qur'an, know much of it in Arabic, have dozens of books on Hadith and such...

Yet one thing which I've always been questioning is the states of consciousness Muhammad attained to in his life. Obviously I'm starting from the position that Muhammad was a historical personality and his life has been recorded fairly accurately by early Muslim historians. There has been some speculation into him being epileptic and the facts of his life certainly move in this area.

For example, Muhammad was often known to go into different states of consciousness where, outwardly, his body would either be motionless and heavy (like a yogi in Samadhi) or almost frothing at the mouth, eyes rolling back, sweating profusely, etc., and when he came out he said he had received Prophetic Revelation.

Before the revelation of the Qur'an, going by the history, he spent time on the Mountain of Light. There is no record of what he did besides "devotion".

I can never fully understand the whole situation. He said he "saw" Gabriel take manifestation in different forms. Sometimes as a man, sometimes in his angelic form, etc. He would receive revelation from sexual excitement with his favorite wife Aisha but not the others. This is the sort of thing that happens during sex to epileptics - the excitement triggers some sort of ecstatic fit which, in Muhammad's mind may have been presented as a religious revelation.

There is a Hadith where he is with Aisha and says "Gabriel gives you his greeting" and she says "You see that which I do not..." because he was only apparent to Muhammad. How strange that must have been!

I don't want anyone to take offense to this poking and prodding - I have a deep love for Muhammad and early Islamic history. I've been studying it for years and it's ingrained in me. I just find this mystery about what Muhammad really experienced to be fascinating.

Sometimes, due to the lack of any other explanation besides some sort of mental problem (which is hard to accept since the rest of his life was lived with absolute sanity, it would seem) I am inclined to want to accept the traditional belief as true.

Thoughts?
    That way it is easy to prove that Bin Laden is a Yogi. So is Bush, he claimed God came in dream and asked him to invade Iraq.

Kasab must be the yogi shrmani.

Yogis do not lose their cool, Mo was usually did.

Yogis do not go on genocides, Mo did.

Yogis do not go about spreading their cult with sword, Mo did.

Yogis need not be celibate, but they do not show promocuness, pediphilia etc, Mo did.

Yogis do not aspire to kingdoms, Mo did.

Yogis do not enslave and rape women, Mo did.

Yogis do not claim to be messengers of God, Mo did.

Mo a Yogi? Then I am Manu.

Thread Information