Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: That state before Samadhi

Re: That state before Samadhi

sunyatisunya,

I was not practicing pranayama, however I have experienced such sensations during a stage of my meditation experiences.

I decided to not take special notice.

I had been told there may be special sensations in the body and not to pay special notice. It wasn't that big a deal.

After some number of days, or months perhaps (I was unaware of the number) I noticed I was breathing equally from both nostrils. I had read somewhere, we alternate right and left with breathing thru both nostrils only a short time during the changeover to the other side.

I should say, I had also heard about complaints I did not appear to be breathing.

One day, I was frustrated with the number of gods and goddesses and so I was praying "will the real G-d please stand up". The experience was somewhat embarrassing. Anyway, I didn't die. Obviously.

I did have my first prana-breath experience.

I was not breathing but I had complete refreshment of breathing the best pure air, even better than fine early morning air.

I would not be surprised, if after some more meditation you experience some nice "experiences" like that.

I was told not to pay special attention to nice "experiences" nevertheless it was life-changing, for me, to experience prana-breath.

I got real conviction there is a reality better than always striving.

I do not know if these things occur before samadhi experience or because you are having samadhi experiences.

I also do not know if prana-breath is our true reality.

It is also possible the throat chakra is opening or "balancing".

I am not a guru. I do believe it is good to tell the truth I know and there may be something there for another person.
    Last edited by ConnieD; 06 May 2009 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TatTvamAsi View Post
    Namaste Atanu,
    I have more questions perhaps you can give your advice on.

When one is a jnani, assuming all samskaras have been dissolved, can one 'take birth' in a body at one's will? How will this, or should I say can this happen if there is no individuality in the perspective of the jnani?

The other thing that really 'bothers' me (I use that word lightly) is what Ramana Maharishi said about "you being the doer". He says that as long as we are in the state of ignorance (avidya), we believe we are the doers/enjoyers. However, when one becomes enlightened, it is apparently clear that one is not the doer! So basically what that means is that NOBODY ever acts of his own volition! It is ALL pre-determined? This is so intriguing to me because this is closely linked with theoretical research in modern physics (Quantum Physics exactly speaking) about indeterminate states (of particles) and pre-determination!!

What are your thoughts on this? It is almost scary in a way because we are so caught up in thisdream that we call 'reality' that the thought of being mere puppets strikes at the heart of everything we define ourselves with; ultimately being EGO!

Namaskar.
    Namaste TTA,

Both your questions are important and i can only surmise the answers from the teachings. These questions i think are from the perspective of us who have individuality. These doubts lose meaning when individuality is experienced as of one consciousness only. For example, a body builder at repose and the same person when flexing muscles may appear as two different things. A mukta who exists as 'knowledge bliss' has lost the meaning of both individuality or of Brahman (as an entity). Knowledge-Bliss' does not take birth but may animate forms (or rather flex its own muscles for viewing).

Sense of wonderment at free will or lack of it is also for the individual and it has no meaning without individuality. On reflection, you will agree that the doubts arise for the thinker whose emergence follows the sense of individuality.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 09 May 2009 at 03:40 PM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Namaste TTA,

Both your questions are important and i can only surmise the answers from the teachings. These questions i think are from the perspective of us who have individuality. These doubts lose meaning when individuality is experienced as of one consciousness only. For example, a body builder at repose and the same person when flexing muscles may appear as two different things. A mukta who exists as 'knowledge bliss' has lost the meaning of both individuality or of Brahman (as an entity). Knowledge-Bliss' does not take birth but may animate forms (or rather flex its own muscles for viewing).

Sense of wonderment at free will or lack of it is also for the individual and it has no meaning without individuality. On reflection, you will agree that the doubts arise for the thinker whose emergence follows the sense of individuality.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Namaste TTA,

It is very tricky to separate out the feelings/thoughts/doubts of the ignorance called ego from the reality, which is doubtless, fearless, and immortal. Just as worries of a flexed bicep is meaningless, so are ours.

To be fair, the teachings also say emphatically that "i" does not rise any more for the enlightened, forever replaced by "I-I".

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

atanu,

"I-I" refers to the lower bird and the upper bird joined (referring to the example of the bird on the lower branch of the tree and the bird on the upper branch of the tree?

Namaste,

This brings to mind the image of Kali Ma, the victorious Mistress who severs the head

Personally, I find that prayer, which is both active and passive at the same time, precludes such doubts. What matters free will, if the head is given over to HEr?

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    Namaste,

This brings to mind the image of Kali Ma, the victorious Mistress who severs the head

Personally, I find that prayer, which is both active and passive at the same time, precludes such doubts. What matters free will, if the head is given over to HEr?

ZN
    Namaste ZN,

True. But the thief, the imposter acting as the master of the house, does not easily hand over itself to the law.

Om

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Namaste ZN,

True. But the thief, the imposter acting as the master of the house, does not easily hand over itself to the law.

Om

The foot in the chest and sword might be indicative of that, yep.

Namaste,
    ZN

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by ConnieD View Post
    atanu,

"I-I" refers to the lower bird and the upper bird joined (referring to the example of the bird on the lower branch of the tree and the bird on the upper branch of the tree?
    Namaste Connie,

I-I has no trace of duality. There is no thinking but only awareness. Trying to write or explain it is theoretical.

Om

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    The foot in the chest and sword might be indicative of that, yep.
    Namaste,
    ZN
    Namaste ZN,

That indication is sectarian and actually means something else, since He comes back from between Her thighs again and again and also She sticks out Her tongue in remorse (?). But in wisdom is there a He or She? Wisdom, pra GyAna is IT.

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 11 May 2009 at 11:26 PM.

Namaste,

As you know, I am uninitated, much less sectarian! LOL

I was merely commenting on the notion that artistic representations might be storytellings of experiences, in symbolic form.

From my point of view, if Godz (both unitary and plural damn the sexing) stomps on you, severs your head and sticks out tongue at you (no disrespect intended), then the notion of "free will" somewhat goes by the boards. Don't ask me how I know.

And, about that tongue thing ... I can vouch as female that sticking out my tongue aligns my body in a way that provokes reaction.

Honestly, I think that my simplistic interpretation of the artistic paradigm might have some merit.

OM.ZN

Thread Information