Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Am I reading this right?

Ahimsa paramo Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by sarabhanga
    Namaste,

Ahimsa paramo Dharma
    I have just posted Devi Kalottara. A few lines from that here.

69. Listen to me, Lady! Know that only the wise man who never does anything which leads to the destruction of any form of life, such as insects, worms, birds or plants, is a person who is seeking true knowledge.

70. He (the true aspirant) should not pull out tender roots of fragrant plants, he should not even pluck the leaves; he should not harm any living thing out of anger; he should not heartlessly pluck even flowers.

71-72. He should worship Lord Siva using only flowers that have fallen naturally. He should not indulge in vile practices such as marana (causing destruction through the use of certain mantras) uchadana (driving one out with the force of mantras), vidveshana (causing mutual hatred between friends), the well known sthambana (freezing one’s capabilities), causing fever, putting into action evil spirits, causing agitation, wrongly taking control of others, attracting and infatuating others, and so on. Abandon the worship of stones, wooden objects and similar articles.

Also for the true Avadhutas:

63. Niyamas (strict rules of conduct such as what to eat, when to eat, how to eat, what to wear, where to sit and so on), worship of deities in sacred places, nama archanas (worship of deities by reciting sacred names), pitru karmas (oblations, etc., carried out for the sake of forefathers to help them reach a high state), pilgrimage to holy places which have come forth on earth, and observance of great vows, are all not for him (the earnest aspirant), if considered deeply.

64. He does not reap the fruit of actions, good or bad. Important dates and special observances zealously followed by the world are not for him. Give up all actions and all kinds of worldly codes of conduct.

Om

Re: Am I reading this right?

There are several posts on this subject in hindudharma forums itself.
    Rig Veda X.87.16 One who partakes of human flesh, the flesh of a horse or of another animal and deprives others from milk by slaughtering cows ; if such a fiend does not desist then even cut off their heads by your powers Oh king.

Atharva Veda VIII.6.23 : Those who eat cooked or uncooked flesh, who eat eggs and embryos are following an evil addiction that must be put to an end.

That meat eating was strictly prohibited was evident from several quotes.There were some exceptions in Yagnas, and that they were not meant to Enable meat eating is abundantly clear.

Quote Originally Posted by chandu_69 View Post
    Rig Veda X.87.16 One who partakes of human flesh, the flesh of a horse or of another animal and deprives others from milk by slaughtering cows ; if such a fiend does not desist then even cut off their heads by your powers Oh king.

Atharva Veda VIII.6.23 : Those who eat cooked or uncooked flesh, who eat eggs and embryos are following an evil addiction that must be put to an end.

That meat eating was strictly prohibited was evident from several quotes.There were some exceptions in Yagnas, and that they were not meant to Enable meat eating is abundantly clear.
    Namaste Chandu,

Thanks for quotes !

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Quote Originally Posted by chandu_69 View Post
    Thank you for following this strategy. I think it needs to be reinforced somewhere, so we don't keep seeing the same movies, answering the same old questions. HDF isn't so vast that you can't find anything, and our moderator keeps it very well organised. BTW .. welcome.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste devotee and eastern mind.
    Thanks for the welcome.
    Yes, it is easier to search for posts in the forums.
    For those who are not aware here is the syntax for google site search
    subject site:www.hindudharmaforums.com

Thread Information