Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A book on balanced vegetarian diets.

A book on balanced vegetarian diets.

Hello there.
    I'm planning on becoming a vegetarian.

I was hoping if you could point me a good book about a balanced vegetarian diet.
    I'm not looking for a cook book, one with recipes and all, I'm looking more towards a book with nutritional advice.

Also I'm a bit fat, so something about vegetarian weight loss would also be good!

Re: A book on balanced vegetarian diets.

Perhaps you might try:

Your Guide to Becoming a Vegetarian
    http://www.theobesityproject.com/Bonus/vegetarian.pdf

Healthy Receipes
    http://www.esnips.com/doc/f67f108a-4...af73b6/Recipes

These books among others are listed in our HDF Library at:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/library.html
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Back when my wife and I became vegetarians, we used "Diet for a Small Planet' It had a lot of useful info on complementary proteins, and amino acids. I think its been updated as well. It was interesting when we did a complete nutritional breakdown over two months. Getting protein, contrary to popular belief, is not the problem. (Usually the first question a 'concerned' meat eater asks is "Where do you get your protein?")

Duhhh.... well for starters if you're a middle to heavy meat eater, you're probably getting about 500% of your daily requirement. Secondly, just where do you get your vitamins and minerals?

B12 and Iron are bigger concerns.

The more I have studied food, the more I realised its very political. The dairy industry for example, loves to promote their stuff to schools in the guise of promoting nutrition. Canada tried to change their nutritional guide as recommended by scientists a few years back, and the meat and dairy lobbyists put up such a stink that they only changed a bit. The Canada food gude recommendes 8 to 9 servings of vegetables daily. Even as a vegetarian I have to work hard to reach that goal.

Good luck with your dietary change. Its really quite easy, I think. You should feel 'better' (different) in a few weeks.

Aum Namasivaya

Dont worry about any protein or vitamins. Just stop eating meat. There are many people who are dont meat at all, including me. I dont even eat eggs.
    I have never felt that I am missing some vitamins or proteins.

Re: Vegetarian side effects.

Thank you all, for your answers.
    Dhruva. I think one may not feel the need for vitamins and aminoacids for a long time after one changes they're habits.
    An anemia should take a long time to instal itself.
    From my understanding, drinking milk and other dairy products (aswell as eggs) easily compensates the meat.
    But one should be carefull..
    It's better to preveen than to remedy (as we say in portuguese).
    I usually felt, at other vegetarian attempts, a bit of hipotension during the spring. I know that some hipotension is normal, but this was a bit exagerated.Did any of you feel this?

Re: Vegetarian side effects.

Hi, Sorry for late replay,
    I have never felt what you have felt. The reason might be because I am born vegetarian. I would suggest you to stop eating meat slowly. Also do some pranayams (breathing exercises) everyday. I have an experience of getting energy from breathing exercises.
    In the earlier post, I was trying to encourage you. As I have notices most of the youngsters don't watch their diet that includes me.!!

Namaskar,

As a vegetarian one needs to watch their B12. If low, one needs to take B12 vitamins but only after a consultation with a doctor.

Thanks,
    satay

The more 'radical' (As on nutrition conscious verging on paranoia) can even prescribe self - administered B12 shots which I've done. I'm sure the B12 went way up after 6 weeks of daily shots. I have a lot of appreciation for older diabetics now.

I am pretty different from you guys. I am underweight. And all those food that my Gym instructor can come up with are beef,chicken, etc. I get annoyed even i typed these names. I told him Im a vegan. Being spiritual and knowing all those bilogical magnification and 10% law I am very much vegan. But guys, I don't have much weight (41 kg for 152 cm height) and only 152 cm even I am 16 years.
    Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by hindustallion View Post
    I am pretty different from you guys. I am underweight. And all those food that my Gym instructor can come up with are beef,chicken, etc. I get annoyed even i typed these names. I told him Im a vegan. Being spiritual and knowing all those bilogical magnification and 10% law I am very much vegan. But guys, I don't have much weight (41 kg for 152 cm height) and only 152 cm even I am 16 years.
    Any suggestions?
    Meat in itself is not all that fattening. I can't believe some of the ignorance re diet. Anyways, if you can find a doctor willing to do COMPLETE blood work, you can get an excellent check on iron, zinc, B12, copper, etc. Most doctors don't do the complete work up of blood. They just check the basics. When you get the form, make sure almost all of the boxes are checked off. Then if you're not lacking in anything rest assured.

If you can work out, it means you're pretty healthy. Natural body structure has a lot to do with weight. My son is a vegan, he's 6' 2 and I bet he weighs about 150, maybe less. If you feel healthy, then you probably are. But if you insist on gaining weight, sugar and carbohydrate (pasta, pasta, pasta) are the way to go. To me it sounds like you don't need to bother. being 16 may also indicate that you haven't 'filled out' completely yet as well.

Aum Namasivasya

Thread Information