Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Women in hinduism?

Women in hinduism?

Hello all,

How are women treated in Hinduism? There are some tales circulated around the web that women were and still are mistreated in Hindu society. Is there any truth to this? What do the scriptures say?

This is important to me. As a muslim we would say "women are equal" but in reality women are not equal in islam. They are a bit more deficent according to islam. They can be hit, they are told that if they dont have sex when their husband wants it that the angels will curse them all night long, they can be forced to stay in doors all day if the man "orders" the wife to, the wife must obey all commands of the husband, a woman witness is not equal to a male witness etc...

So please if hinduism doesnt truely see women as equal then please dont tell me they do. Be honest with me. Because when I asked muslims the same question 7 years ago they said all good things. But when I experienced myself what they truely did to women it was opposite from what they told me

thanks
    -juan

Re: Women in hinduism?

anybody please?

Yes, you ask tough questions. Books have been written on this topic, and as you have heard repeatedly from me and others, you will get many different viewpoints. Rather than quoting scripture, I can only tell you of my observations. Yes there are some men who verbally (and perhaps worse) abuse their wives in my own community. Usually it is behind closed doors, but I have witnessed it on occasion. My personal view is that these men simply are immature souls that don't understand karma very well. The soul is genderless, so the law of karma would suggest that a person could very well be born of the opposite gender. What goes around comes around. But in my community these men are in the minority. Most men here respect their wives, and indeed all women. They have solid mutual understanding relationships for the most part. One elder fellow I know whose wife is on dialysis for diabetes brings her to temple every single day. You can just feel the love and caring. He is her primary caregiver. So you have the positive as well as negative. People see what they want to, or need to.

There are western sociologists who will go to extremes to find all of the bad things about Hindu (and Muslim) culture. An example is a focus on female infanticide. (A horrible trend in my opinion) They write it off immediately as women hatred, mysogyny (sp) . But another possible explanation is the harsh economic reality. The fact is that a male probably does have a bettter chance to help end the cycle of poverty for a particular family. Its the sociologist's forte and they are blinded by what they want to see. Of course western societies have their own brand of chauvinism. Young women here complain about how hard it is to find a decent man.

in Hindu scripture, as far as I know, there is a mix, but its mostly on the positive. Some of us do worship Shakti, the feminine form.
    Aum Namasivaya

I see. My main concern is I would hate to come across scriptures in hinduism that degrade women. I am hoping they cannot be found in scripture. Because this would make me want to halt my investigation into hinduism. Because if its Eternal Truths that God has given mankind then I would think it would be the best for both men and women, elderly, young, etc.

Within the vastness of Hindu scripture, I`m sure that anyone who wanted to could find a scripture or a verse or two that could be interpreted as negative towards women. If you`re thinking that all of Hindu scripture, Sruti, and Smrti, and Guru`s writings is without a single derogatory (interpreted) comment, then you`re surely mistaken. But isn`t that like judging all Canadians by my behaviour only. I should hope you will see the fallacy in that line of thinking.

Aum Namasivaya

Ofcourse myfriend, but these are scriptures and scriptures are something God gave us. So I dont understand how one can be negetive and another free from it if it all comes from the same source?

For one of the best articles about the status of women in Hinduism, check:
    http://www.hinduwisdom.info/Women_in_Hinduism.htm

Here is a brief:

• As Yajvan has stated in another thread, there were 25 women Rishis in the Vedic times, who had the revelation of Vedas as well as participated in its recitation in the rituals, wearing the sacred thread. Some of the female Rishis were: Visvara, Apala the daughter of Atri, Gosha the daughter of Kaksivant and IndraNi wife of Indra. The Sanskrit feminine terms 'brahmavAdini' (a female Vedic practitioner), 'achAryAni' (a teacher's wife), 'upAdhyAyani' (a preceptor's wife) indicate that women were treated with respect on par with men.

• Hindu history is full of instances of renowned queens who either ruled the state or advised their king-husbands in the rule of the state; there were even women soldiers: Megasthenes (fifth century B.C.E.) mentions heavily armed women guards protecting King Chandragupta's palace.

• The very term 'shakti' for 'power' is feminine; men derived their power from their women. Kings and towns were destroyed because of the wrong done to a single woman: RAvaNa lost his life and city for doing wrong to Sita, the Kauravas for the wrong done to Draupadi, wife of the PANdavas, and King Pandyan Nedunchezhiyan lost his life and the city of Madurai, because he mistakenly killed Kovalan, husband of KaNNaki.

The Hindu religion gives divinity to the Hindu women; the Hindu dharma gives dignity to them in life. Here is a brief of how:

• The manifest Hindu Gods, specially the Trinity of BrahmA, VishNu and Shiva have their consorts. In fact, the ShAkta tradition (worshipping Goddess Mother) is a most powerful tradition in Hinduism, and it is this tradition that influenced Christianity to recognize and honour their women gods.

• Some of the precepts and provisions in the Hindu Dharma ShAstras for women:

01. Apasthamba: Guest, children, elders, sick people, and pregnant women should be fed first.

02. Marriage is allowed by law for those women who fall under these five misfortunes: 1. whose husband is missing, 2. or is dead, 3. or becomes a religious anchorite, 4. or is impotent, 5. or has fallen from caste. (Parasara and Narada).

03. The truest duty of the wife is to serve the husband and not going to pilgrimages or keeping fast, or performing vows, unless with the husband's permission.

04. A girl should be married after reaching years of discretion. A girl who does not know to serve her husband, who does not Know the honor due to him, such a child should not be married by the father nor until she knows the Duties and precepts of religion.

04. A husband should never chastise his wife, but should always maintain her like a mother, even under greatest affliction; should never abandon a chaste and dutiful wife.

05. The wise householder should not even think with evil mind of another's wife, for by so doing he incurs sin.

06. A husband should always satisfy his wife by giving her presents, dresses and money, and also by love, respect and pleasant words, but he should never behave unkindly towards her. O Goddess! a man who is loved by his chaste wife, has acquired all merits and becomes thy beloved.

07. A father should ensure that his daughter is also taught so as to fit her to be a good wife, and mother.

The primary, nature-ordained roles that a woman plays in her life are: mother, wife and daughter. Men play the counterparts of these roles plus the role of the breadwinner. Hindu religion and dharma, besides freeing women of the necessity of being breadwinners while their husbands are alive, has made their household and social lives healthy and prosperous, happy and peaceful, thus fulfilling the main goals of human life.

We can very well understand this from the lives lead by Hindu women in the Hindu societies defined by Hindu dharma, even until as recently as before the Infotech stormed the market and culture as an industry.

• Hindu mothers/wives until the sixtees and seventees, who are today grandmothers, played the main role of housewives all through their lives, without any ambition towards the spoils of western education or employment or the household amenities provided by technology. They ground their seasonings in a grinding stone, wet and dry floor in a stony, mechanical device and even pounded their daily rice in a stone mortar with pestles. They tended their husbands, children, cattle and grains and still had ample leisure time to sleep, read and worship. The result was that the grandmothers were hale and healthy with adequate exercise for their supple and sensitive bodies, peace for their mind and lived a life of activity into advanced age, their eyesight, hearing and other faculties generally intact.

• Hindu daughers until the sixtees and seventees had their school education but did not aspire for jobs; instead they sought to learn arts such as the Karnatic music and dance such as the BharatanAtyam that gave them entertainment, social life, peace and a good physique.

Unfortunately, the technology-driven, west-influenced Hindu society of today is increasingly making Hindu women both subjects and objects of desire, lust and avarice under the guise of modern civilization. The result is that today's office-going Hindu women in general have neither happiness nor peace in their personal and social lives, nor a health that ensures physical acvitity and longevity.

In case someone accuses me of being a male chauvinist, let me state that if I am to be born in the opposite sex in my next birth, I would prefer to be born as an ideal Hindu woman as defined by the Hindu Dharma and depicted in the Hindu PurANas.
    Last edited by saidevo; 10 June 2009 at 10:19 PM.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

This is excellent material saidevo. This is what I am looking for. So I probably wont find any verses like the Quran that allow you to smack your wife etc? It does seem like Hindu women are honored in the scriptures. I am not too concerned with society but more with what the scriptures say. Though I havent read any scriptures it seems like this information indicates that they are honored.

Namaste

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    So please if hinduism doesnt truely see women as equal then please dont tell me they do. Be honest with me. Because when I asked muslims the same question 7 years ago they said all good things. But when I experienced myself what they truely did to women it was opposite from what they told me
    Any answer, positive or negative, is going to be biased. So I'll simply place the facts in front of you, and you can decide for yourself.

# Manu Smriti (a Hindu text) has some portions that may be misconstrued as anti-women. For instance, this verse in Manu Smriti:

"Like a shudra, a woman is entitled to only one sacrament, that is marriage." (Manu II:66-67, IX:126).

Anti-Hindus may use this verse to attack Hindus and call them misogynistic. But I personally feel that Manu was speaking figuratively: Marriage in this case means protection. Just as workers are protected by merchants, women must be protected from this dangerous world by men. So this verse favors women, if anything.

Bottom line, there are many verses in Hindu scriptures that are apparently misogynistic. But if you investigate with an open mind, you'll see that they actually favor women's welfare and freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    This is excellent material saidevo. This is what I am looking for. So I probably wont find any verses like the Quran that allow you to smack your wife etc? It does seem like Hindu women are honored in the scriptures.
    Unfortunately, there are some verses even in the principal upanishads:

Brihadaranyaka Upanishad 7.4

If she do not give in, let him, as he likes, bribe her (with presents). And if she then do not give in, let him, as he likes, beat her with a stick or with his hand, and overcome her, saying: 'With manly strength and glory I take away thy glory,'--and thus she becomes unglorious.

Some people may feel this verse encourages violence against women. But I believe it's metaphorical. But people who seek justification, are going to use such verses to abuse women. So the scripture isn't at fault; people are.

Thread Information