Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the root of religious fanaticism?

What is the root of religious fanaticism?

Namaste, all,

Please accept my prayers on behalf of you and yours, who have been assaulted by the purveyors of hatred and divisiveness this week in Mumbai.

I am inspired by the steadfastness of your people; I was at Ground Zero on 9/11, and know the emotion of 1000s of people dying at once (not to mention the millions seeing it live on TV) and how difficult it is to not succumb to reaction to circumstances (as opposed to acceptance and participation). It is easy to "hate the enemy" but this allows for reinforcing the notion of differences between you and me. We are all brothers and sisters, really. We ARE. What difference does it matter what we name "God" ... God is Name, I think. (Name is a quality of God, in other words.)

Why do people continue to kill "in the name of God"? What is the innate balance to this evil?

ZN

Re: What is the root of religious fanaticism?

I too wonder, how anyone with a mind and conscience can kill innocents, without hesitation or remorse.. are these demons born without hearts, or do they really believe that killing children will somehow help their cause?

These fanatics, whether mujahideen or crusaders, deserve no mercy. We should crush them with all the power we have. I believe in Ahimsa, but these devils and cowards need to reap the fruit of their karma.

I too, have been wondering in my heart what is the way that allows people in the name of God to do harm to others? We are all the same and part of God, what is the justification for the continuous assualt on human beings? I have read the gospel of Sri Ramakrishna, I have read the posts of this canteen, I landed on this thread and thought it might be the the closest to my question. Is the answer as simple as God has created both good and evil and we must constantly stirve to do good and avoid the evil? Then when we become caught in the others evil doings what is our role in that event?
    Thanks
    OM Tat Sat

God created souls as an extension of himself. Each soul evolves through a series of lifetimes closer and closer to the likeness of god, until finally the soul merges as water with water. Lessons are learned along the way. So each individual soul is in a different state of evolution. Hence there are young souls and old souls. Old souls are gentle people, leaning towards charity, compassion, tolerance, and all the other rich ideals of mankind. Young souls simply don`t have the understanding to go for the higher ideals, hence they are more prone to anger, jealousy, violence, etc. (Kindergarten is no place for calculus.) This is, IMHO, the root cause of fanaticism. God creates us equally as souls, but as embodied souls, we are not equal. We all have varying degrees of seed karmas left; some many, some few. We are all spinning in different chakras, some above the muladhara, some below.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    God created souls as an extension of himself. Each soul evolves through a series of lifetimes closer and closer to the likeness of god, until finally the soul merges as water with water. Lessons are learned along the way. So each individual soul is in a different state of evolution. Hence there are young souls and old souls. Old souls are gentle people, leaning towards charity, compassion, tolerance, and all the other rich ideals of mankind. Young souls simply don`t have the understanding to go for the higher ideals, hence they are more prone to anger, jealousy, violence, etc. (Kindergarten is no place for calculus.) This is, IMHO, the root cause of fanaticism. God creates us equally as souls, but as embodied souls, we are not equal. We all have varying degrees of seed karmas left; some many, some few. We are all spinning in different chakras, some above the muladhara, some below.

Aum Namasivaya
    Namaste EM,

I like your thoughts !

So, what is the message ? We must be compassionate & patient towards those who are fanatics. They must be handled with utmost care & understanding in the same way we deal with our children.

I, at this stage, remember what Jesus said for those who crucified him :

"Father, forgive them for they know not what they do."

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

strange is that all people believe in the same energy that we call god, allah, krishna, jezus, buddha, hanuman, durga, etc. Only hindus have this way of universal thinking and that's why we are not allowed to kill other believers. I think other faiths must evolve further and we must educate them with Vedical knowledge.

We must spread the Vedical knowledge all over the world to enlighten the whole world. Every human being has the right to learn about the Gospel of the Vedas and the other hindu holy books.

dewanand

Namaste.

Welcome, dewanand.

We must spread the Vedical knowledge all over the world to enlighten the whole world.
    Not for nothing, but Christians have somewhat the monopoly on that evangelizing thingy

People hear what they want to hear, see what they want to see. If they should notice what you aptly pointed out ("Only hindus have this way of universal thinking...") , they will eventually end up at the root of the World Tree of their own accord, IMO.

I would instead suggest that living the sameness rather than preaching the contrast may be a better and more effective strategy.

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté ZN,
    nice to see you posting...
    Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    People hear what they want to hear, see what they want to see. If they should notice what you aptly pointed out ("Only hindus have this way of universal thinking...") , they will eventually end up at the root of the World Tree of their own accord, IMO.
    You triggered a thought in me. I was thinking as the saying goes
    'People hear and see what they want ...' This view may perhaps be modified to mean 'people are conditioned to see and hear what they want'

I am not taking issue with what you say; it is this one notion of seeing what they want, which suggest to me there is a choice.

I think many times there is no conscious choice that is going on. People go from impression to impression and respond based upon who they are at that point in time. ( I can expand on this , as we tend to change , not drastically, but our moods, behaviors do fluctuate over time).

Now that said, this observation has only slight relevance to the overall conversation of this string, but none the less an insight I did not consider till you wrote it ( thank you).

Do you have any opinions on this?

praām
    यतस्त्वं शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṁ śivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Poi..._animated_film

One of the characters in this musical odessey was the Rock Man.

RM said "You see what you want to see, you hear what you want to hear. That is the Point." (or something quite close to that)

My opinion is that Holy is like water, it will find its course.

It can be Scripture or an incidental encounter, the expression of Godz, the beauty indeed is in the eye of the beholder (so to speak lol).

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Today I saw a bird couple build a nest high on a lamp post, perhaps for laying eggs. Birds are cute and so are cats. Birds are endowed to fly high and cats are endowed to prey on unsuspecting birds who loiter on ground.

IMO, one's own nature must not be given up, envying the strength of another class of creatures. That is fraught with danger and animosity.

Om
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thread Information