Thread: Vedantic texts translations?

Vedantic texts translations?

I do not know if this is the right section, but is there anywhere one can get a recommendation of what translations of Sanatana Dharma texts to read? Some I am interested in (or have read) are:

Anugita, Bhagavad-Gita, Brahmanas, Gherandha Samhita, Hatha Yoga Pradipika, Narada Bhakti Sutra, Sankhya Karika, Shiva Samhita, Shiva Sutra, Tantras, Upanishads, Vedas, Vivekachudamani, Yoga Sutra, Yoga Vasishtha

I think I found the standard academic translations for them all (or good ones,) and I have most (feel free to ask what I think is good for any I do not mention I do not have,) but I am unsure if a complete edition of the Upanishads exists or if it is better to get various translations. I do not have the Sankhya Karika yet and might not know a good translation, and I am also having trouble finding some Brahmanas and Tantras. I am interested in all the Hatha Yoga and esoteric texts.
    Last edited by DavidC; 20 June 2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Vedantic texts translations?

There is a library here. You may wish to check.

http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1655

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thanks, but I did not see a single book I listed in that library, and I am looking for printed editions before PDF. All the ones I mentioned are most of the classic primary sources except for the Puranas, which I am also interested in. I study other religions too so I do not have time for modern secondary sources unless someone could recommend one that says what translations are good of the sources I mentioned....

रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Thanks; I like your library and will look at the others. I noticed yours may be missing Anugita (if not already with Bhagavad-Gita,) Brahmanas (if not already with Vedas,) Gherandha Samhita, Hatha Yoga Pradipika, some Tantras, Vivekachudamani/etc.. But, it is an excellent place to start or even find most of the texts, and I am glad to see it has Sri Aurobindo and Swami Sivananda.

I think one day soon I would also like to find out about more of the Puranas, but I guess they are not necessarily Vedanta--just connected to the Vedas.

I've found a lot of good books here: http://www.alibris.com/

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Thread Information