Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spirituality and Sexuality

Spirituality and Sexuality

Hi Friends!

I am from South India. Nice to meet you all. As is obvious from my handle, I am interested in psychoanalyzing everything, including what we call religion. In the west, Freud and others analyzed the sexuality inherent in the behavior of so-called religious people.

Thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by satay; 30 June 2009 at 08:47 AM.

Re: Spirituality and Sexuality

Quote Originally Posted by sexuality View Post
    Hi Friends!

I am from South India. Nice to meet you all. As is obvious from my handle, I am interested in psychoanalyzing everything, including what we call religion. In the west, Freud and others analyzed the sexuality inherent in the behavior of so-called religious people.

Thanks for all your help.
    Namaste,

I think this type of thought is erroneous and belong to minds that see everything from a narrow perspective only. This type of thinking is reflected from minds, which dwell in a limited motivational area of human mind.

For example, there is a Tagore song: "You have made me unspendable. You empty me out and fill me up again and again. You have made me unspendable" (I have intentionally reproduced it grossly). Now, during my very young age, I understood that Tagore was a sexy guy. It was purely superposition of my sexy thoughts on Tagore, whose every song now I see as praise of Lord, and in the particular song Tagore praises Lord for the unlimited creative intellect that God endowed Tagore with.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Spirituality is about spirit, that which is ungraspable. Sexuality, on the other hand, is about grasping only.

Without wisdom repression leads to volcano and not spiritual upliftment. The difference is merely to know the distinction between attachment and non-attachment. Repression and then constant dwelling on the subject is worse than obtaining a release (when inevitable) and then cooly meditating on the spirit. Else one must be a Hatha Yogi.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

I'm with Atanu. (as usual) East is east and west is west, never the twain shall meet. What many Hindus do in the stead of psychoanalysis is drop their problems via prayer to the deity at the temple. And it works. Spiritual knowledge is light years ahead of Freud. Regardless, best of luck with your research. At this time in your individual soul's evolution, that is obviously what you (referring to soul) need.

Aum namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I'm with Atanu. (as usual) East is east and west is west, never the twain shall meet. What many Hindus do in the stead of psychoanalysis is drop their problems via prayer to the deity at the temple. And it works. Spiritual knowledge is light years ahead of Freud. Regardless, best of luck with your research. At this time in your individual soul's evolution, that is obviously what you (referring to soul) need.

Aum namasivaya
    Thanks for your response, but it seems more emotional than rational.

According to you, what is spirituality?

Quote Originally Posted by dhruva023 View Post
    According to you, what is spirituality?
    Let's focus on the topic.

I'm not sure if I should even respond since my take and your take are so very different. I can so dismiss the sexuality inherent in religions, as you say. Each is entitled to their opinions based on their experiences. I find nothing at all sexual about bhakti. In fact it does the opposite of sexual arousal. Its kind of like feeling the presence of God. if you haven't had this experience, then you have no starting point at which to begin a discussion. Most Hindus have had this experience of a godly presence, either within themselves through sadhana, or darshan at a temple. Trust me, it has nothing to do with repressed sexuality, as the very same Hindus who worship God so sincerely can next day be very unsupressed regarding sexuality. I have no idea what you afre trying to discover by this line of thought. I think it belongs more in a sex forum, frankly. Its the Europeans and western thought that repressed sexuality , starting with Queen Vic.

Aum Namasivaya
    Last edited by satay; 30 June 2009 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    I think it belongs more in a sex forum, frankly. Its the Europeans and western thought that repressed sexuality , starting with Queen Vic.
    um Namasivaya
    That's exactly my point.
    Last edited by satay; 30 June 2009 at 08:48 AM.

If the definition of being rational is whatever comes out from you, aka, "sexuality", yes !
    Last edited by satay; 30 June 2009 at 08:49 AM.
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Thread Information