Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things that make you wonder.

Re: Things that make you wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by saidevo View Post

Not knowing Hindu imagery and not knowing vernacular racial slurs--are they on par with each other? The point is, IMO, if a non-Hindu does not know or care to investigate the Hindu religious imagery, the proper thing would be to desist from using it, whatever attitude the person might have in using it. The same thing applies to a Hindu, who cannot afford to talk ill of other religious imagery without first getting to know it properly, with the possible exception of retalliation on provacation, as with the case of Christian missionaries.
    But that illustrates my point. The fact is that in India when traveling you can see religious imagery everywhere. That simply is not the case in the west. You don't find Jesus Tires, or Muhammed Cafe. If it has religious imagery, its a Christian bookstore, or a house of worship. So this imagery everywhere leads the Christian or westerner into thinking the imagery has to do with literature, or mythology, not religion. Given his or her experience in the west, the subconscious mind doesn't attach religion to it at all. It remains truly naive. Believe it or not, some people here in the west are so overtly western that anything outside their little boxes makes no sense at all. Many Americans don't even know where Canada is. I find no evil in stupidity. Just anava.

The other day I was wandering a mall and chanced into a store where the owner had a bunch of Narmada Lingams for sale. They are becoming or are popular within the New Age movement. So as my wife and I were discussing how we might procure a base for one (ordering it made in India, I presume) the owner overheard our discussion, and told us we could just lay it on a towel. He had absolutely no idea of the lingam's significance to me.

Aum Namasivaya

I am truly sorry to hear that - I often felt that way about tibetan buddhism by newage-ers. Please know not all westerners are that way.

namaste

Sherab:
    I have nothing against new agers. I think it is immature of a soul to criticise any other. To look at them and understand is a better approach. From my observations, the New Age borrows most of its concepts from the East, mostly Hinduism. Also from native American. We do not get acknowledged. Yoga, astral travel, crystals, etc. are all ancient Hindu beliefs. But they are just attempting a shortcut, without the necessary background in ethics, humility, and lifestyle to back it up. Most come from a Christian background. In part I blame some of our own Masters for letting secrets such as kundalini out at all, when it should have been reserved for the few rare souls who are ready. But 'hate' is not a word for Hindus.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    Sherab:
    I have nothing against new agers. I think it is immature of a soul to criticise any other. To look at them and understand is a better approach. From my observations, the New Age borrows most of its concepts from the East, mostly Hinduism. Also from native American. We do not get acknowledged. Yoga, astral travel, crystals, etc. are all ancient Hindu beliefs. But they are just attempting a shortcut, without the necessary background in ethics, humility, and lifestyle to back it up. Most come from a Christian background. In part I blame some of our own Masters for letting secrets such as kundalini out at all, when it should have been reserved for the few rare souls who are ready. But 'hate' is not a word for Hindus.

Aum Namasivaya
    Hi,

I didnt include the word hate in there at all, and i agree with you 100%. Maybe i was a bit to harsh sounding.

You're right. Hate was my word. I just think its a slippery slope. So tell me, why do you consider yourself a Hindu? White, at 18 years, having already experienced 4 years of Buddhism. Must be an interesting story.
    Aum Shanthi

You're right. Hate was my word. I just think its a slippery slope. So tell me, why do you consider yourself a Hindu? White, at 18 years, having already experienced 4 years of Buddhism. Must be an interesting story.
    Aum Shanthi
    I consider myself hindu all the time, because i always have been. In fact, i have taken sojourns from buddhism, and in that time, also kept a statue of jesus on my altar, and said they were all the same to me.

I found that Baha'i and Hinduism hold that both in common - Baha'i being to strict with standard daily prayers, and hinduism just right for me.

Anyways, it's a long story, in short, yes, i am hindu.
    Specifically because the ideas in the Buddhas tantras are a lot like hinduism - dharmakaya is their word for brahman - of course, this is a huge over generalization, but it gets the point across - both of these things, beings have as their ultimate nature - the path is just to rid obscurations of mind - which they are, actually an illusion too, just like maya.

Namaste

For me, this picture is nearly Moksha.

Om Namah Shivaya
    Hehe.

Life is good when Godz are laughing

Namaste,
    ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    Hehe.

Life is good when Godz are laughing

Namaste,
    ZN
    Pray may it be apparent in less adverse ways. Doesnot matter however. Om Namah Shivaya
    Last edited by atanu; 19 July 2009 at 12:17 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Namaste EM.

The first thing a westerner usually knows about Hinduism is that it is not just a religion but a way of life. So there is no surprise that religious imagery pervades the daily life and scenes in India. That it is localized to bookstores and houses of worship in the Christian world I can understand. I can also understand and appreciate ignorance on the part of a member of the public.

I think, however, the corporate world dealing with Hindu religious imagery cannot escape with the excuse of ignorance. There could of course be ignorance there too, but when it comes to sale, the seller should have investigated well and carefully into the product and ensure that neither the act of selling nor the product sold does not hurt the Hindus in anyway; it's a matter of basic courtesy. After all, Hinduism is not just a long-lost, non-extant pagan religion in today's world.

In the case of the sale of Narmada lingams you mentioned, it is a puja article meant to be purchased by Hindus, so any ignorance on the part of the seller is excusable because the attitude was right. I am certain that if any customer pointed out the mistake, the seller would correct it. In the case of the toilet seat example, however, it is offensive and everyone should deplore it irrespective of the religion, because there religion is sought to be scandalized. Ignorance simply does not exist there nor can be resorted to.

I find no evil in stupidity. Just anava.
    I agree that there is no evil in stupidity. But what did you intend with the word 'anava', 'pride and arrogance' or 'inadvertence'? Because 'anava' (actually 'anavAdhana') in Sanskrit means 'inadvertence' whereas the term 'ANava' implies 'pride and arrogance'.

Believe it or not, some people here in the west are so overtly western that anything outside their little boxes makes no sense at all. Many Americans don't even know where Canada is.
    That is perhaps exclusivity at its height. Believe it or not, (I guess) that even a rustic, ignorant, illiterate Hindu knows about the Christian religion and Jesus, thanks to the spread of missionary efforts. This is perhaps a case of inclusivity, which is a main feature of Hinduism.
    Last edited by saidevo; 19 July 2009 at 12:05 AM.
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Pray may it be apparent in less adverse ways.

Indeed I do and shall continue to do so.

OM.
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Thread Information