Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Things that make you wonder.

Things that make you wonder.

Sometimes things happen in your life that make you wonder.

Last year, we took a short three day trip to Minneapolis. I am fond of driving on the US freeways and generally have a soft spot for the US so when my wife made the suggestion for this trip I had no problems accepting her suggestion. We packed the cooler with water, packed our bags and drove to Minneapolis. Because I had never visited the city before, I decided to check on the internet for tourist spots and such. Also, googled to see if there was a hindu temple in the city. I didn’t really think that we would have time to visit the temple because our visit was going to be short three days and it is a long bit of drive from our home town in Canada but printed out the directions to the temple anyway.

We did our tourist and shopping thing for the most part. Generally, I am not a temple goer kind of guy. But for some reason once I was in MN, I really wanted to find the temple not because I really wanted to visit the temple for any spiritual reasons but probably because the google maps showed it on a dead end road. I was thinking to myself why would the temple be on a dead end road way outside of the metro area. Google maps must be wrong…

Following the google map directions that I had printed out, I got lost and just couldn’t find the temple. Then the next morning, something drove me again 45 miles away from our hotel room and I found myself looking for the temple again. This time, however, I found the little seemingly abandoned road and after the twists and turns the road took to me to a beautiful structure which indeed is the Hindu temple in Minnesota! Wow, I was surprised to see the beautiful architecture in the middle of nowhere or what my wife told me were corn fields. Building was still under construction though there was no one around. I parked and spotted the entrance but the doors were locked. Ah…it was around 12 pm. I was now more curious and wanted to see the architecture inside but just couldn’t find anyone around that could tell me the temple hours. It turns out that the temple is actually (10 mins or so) off of the same route that we would take to go back to Canada. We decide that if time permits in the morning that we would take the excursion on our way back to Canada.

Next day, we find ourselves in front of the temple one last time. It is around 1:30 pm, my wife and daughter are holding the offerings and I think to myself, surely, the temple is open now or someone must be around because it is past the lunch hour. But it wasn’t meant to be. We find ourselves standing in front of the locked doors once again…

Disappointed, the three of us walk back to our van and drive home. The thought of this temple or this incident never again entered my mind till last weekend.

To be continued...
    satay

Re: Things that make you wonder.

I wonder, did y'all leave the offerings on the front stoop, anyways?

Perhaps your venture was a sign to the officialdom types...

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

TELL ME MORE

...countinued from op...

A few months ago while we still had snow on the ground, my wife suggested that we should take another trip to Minneapolis this summer. I jumped on the suggestion, as I already mentioned due to my love of driving on US freeways. We planned that the few days before the Canada day holiday would be good be best for us. Before I knew it, we found ourselves in MN. We did our usual sight seeing and shopping things. Visiting the temple was not in my thoughts and thus not on the agenda. However, one afternoon we find our selves in an area that my wife remembers is close to the temple. I wasn’t too enthusiastic about her suggestion that we should visit the temple since we were so close by. I candidly admit that my ego was badly bruised because I wasn’t allowed darshan twice last year. This type of thing seems to happen to me all the time. I wonder if this is due to karma. My intentions are good when approaching a temple but more often than not, I end up without darshan for whatever reason.

It turns out that the MN temple was having a big ‘opening ceremony’ of the temple the weekend we arrived in MN. We didn’t find this out until we arrived at the temple grounds. The dead end road, to which the temple is attached, was full of parked cars, a long line perhaps longer than a kilometer out was ahead of me. We parked and started walking towards the temple. When we finally arrived there, it was buzzing with activity. It seemed like we had just missed the havan and the preparations were going on for the ‘yatra’ of the deities. We approached a person and asked what was going on and found that we were attending day 2 of the opening ceremony of the temple. Murthis have been invoked and tomorrow there will be a yatra around the temple compound. We had the most beautiful darshan and accidently became part of the ceremonies.

We decided that we will return the next day to be part of the yatra. As fate would have it, we couldn’t make it for that. I thought that our karma to have darshan had expended.

Two days later, we are heading back home and yes, we decide to stop by the temple on the way out of MN. It is around noon time again and I am not expecting the temple to be open. To our surprise, not only the temple was open, but we ended up being part of a puja of the main deity of the temple. We didn’t realize at the time but it seems like a couple who had just got married was getting a special puja done. We accidently became part of that and ended up taking parsadam on that day.

So this is the amazing part. I wonder about these things the way they happen. Is it karma that we were not allowed darshan last year? Is it fate that we ended up by chance scheduling our vacation on the days that were in alignment with the temple opening ceremonies? How did we end up in the same area of the temple anyway since I never intended to visit the temple to begin with? As a hindu, I intuitively know the answers to these questions but these things still make me wonder…and make me scratch my head.

<end>
    satay

namaste,

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    I wonder, did y'all leave the offerings on the front stoop, anyways?
    No, we didn't leave anything on the steps.

Perhaps your venture was a sign to the officialdom types...

ZN
    I don't follow what you are saying here...
    satay

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    We had the most beautiful darshan and accidently became part of the ceremonies.

As a hindu, I intuitively know the answers to these questions but these things still make me wonder…and make me scratch my head.

<end>
    In my opinion it was no accident. Nice story. Thanks for getting around to sharing it.
    Yes of course it makes you scratch your head. The inner workings of devas, our own intuition etc., are happening all the time, just we're not so aware. The more these things happen, in my opinion, the more you just get used to it.

Aum Namasivaya

Quote Originally Posted by satay View Post
    So this is the amazing part. I wonder about these things the way they happen. Is it karma that we were not allowed darshan last year? Is it fate that we ended up by chance scheduling our vacation on the days that were in alignment with the temple opening ceremonies? How did we end up in the same area of the temple anyway since I never intended to visit the temple to begin with? As a hindu, I intuitively know the answers to these questions but these things still make me wonder…and make me scratch my head.

<end>
    Namaste,

May be ZN is pointing to a possible official responsibilty for care of the temple. I am also waiting for ZN.

Last year we had some fierce discussion on Guru. Shri Sarabhanga (and also Shri MahaHrada) took turns to impress that without a living Guru, the path would always be dark. Mental beings that we are, doubts are natural.

Last year around June, I was asked to relocate to Delhi from a place called Rajahmundry in Andhra Pradesh, from where I visited Ramana Asramam and Arunachala Shiva on weekends every 2-3 months. Because I was relocating, I thought that I should visit Tiruvannamalai, as visit from Delhi might be rarer.

So, I landed up in Tiruvannamalai. My usual hotel informed me that there was no vacancy as the day was Guru Purnima. Some how, I managed a small room. THe night was a revelation. On Purnimas (full moon day) many people make a pradakshina around Shiva, standing as the hill there. I have done so on many occassions but this was the first time to see the 14-16 Km road fully packed.

Like tooth paste emerges from the tube, so in laminar flow a continuous stream of people were moving -- barely half a feet separating one person from another. And this would continue for the night. For me the pradakshina lasts about 5 hours and during that time I was in a laminar flow of people. Smooth and cool -- no one touched another though.

It is not like many humans moving, it is truly God furling like a continuous piece of silk. The yatra confirmed to me that Guru is powerful enough to be as effective (if not more) in unembodied form.

I said thank you and came away to the shrill, chaos, and heat of Delhi.

Om Namah Shivaya
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Namaste,

I was just pondering the notion of finding a spot which beckoned for attention, without any formality or recognition attached to it.

It sounds like it worked for you, which is what matters; my pondering has nothing to do with that!

ZN
    yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

During the time, EM wrote his beautiful travelogue, a pining rose in me. I often sighed and moaned "When would I sit in the asrama again and recharge the cool spring of the mind. The heat, shrill and roughness of Delhi had taken a hit and i was badly bruised, barely able to touch the cool spring.

When, suddenly a tour materialized for Chennai. But alas, the tour was only for a day and the meeting was scheduled on a Thursday. That meant that I had to take a leave on Friday to avail the Saturday and Sunday at Tiruvannamalai. This was not possible. I was crestfallen and my colleague whom i was to accompany remarked "Perhaps, Guru does not want you there." In a meek voice i remarked "The meeting will be postponed." And lo, next morning the colleague phoned "You are great, the meeting stands postponed for a day and is scheduled on Friday same time." He even came to me and congratulated me.

I gloated with pride and related the good luck to a few people and not without a tinge of personal pride. My flight was in the early morning. I booked a cab to pick me up at 4.00 AM to go to airport, which was about 25-30 Km from my residence.

But God gives sudden jerks. The cab did not turn up and at that hour there was nothing else. In my area, me being relatively new, I did not have access to any other mode of transport. I phoned my colleague and told him that I might miss the meeting altogether that was scheduled for 10.00 AM on the same day. Then I saw a three wheeler (you will see these in India) coming from opposite direction at full throttle -- as if flying. I stopped it and the three wheeler driver agreed to take me to airport. It is very unusual to travel 30 km in a three wheeler. But this guy overtook most bigger vehicles on the way and reached airport barely half an hour before the scheduled departure of the Chennai flight.

After finishing the checkin procedures (after breaking a kilometer long que), I found that the only hand bag that i was carrying was nowhere to be found. Airport security searched for it and found it after 10 minutes. By that time my throat was dry parched. But finally, I boarded the aeroplane, full 20 minutes later than its scheduled departure time. THe plane was waiting for me and I alone was taken in a bus from the airport gate to the further tarmac -- possibly 5-6 km inside.

So, I was taken to Tiruvannamalai. I again said "Thank You."

Ramanaya Namah.
    Last edited by atanu; 11 July 2009 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Sp
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Does anyone care to comment on how Shiva looks here, smiling dangerously from some one's T-Shirt?

Om Namah Shivaya

Thread Information