Thread: Gays de-criminalized

Gays de-criminalized

Homo-sexuality has been legalized in India. I am at loss to understand whether it will take India downhill or upwards.

Re: Gays de-criminalized

Anything other than a conjugal man-woman relationship for pleasure and procreation is unnatural and unethical to me. But then the Hindu society and state have always had the right attitude towards such unnatural sexual associations as homosexuality. Check this good article by columnist S. Gurumurthy:

Homosexuality is not a virtue
    http://www.expressbuzz.com/edition/story.aspx?Title=Homosexuality+is+not+a+virtue&artid=|h1DXfUW5DY=&SectionID=d16Fdk4iJhE=&MainSection ID=HuSUEmcGnyc=&SectionName=aVlZZy44Xq0bJKAA84nwcg==&SEO=
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Namaste

If homosexuality isnt natural then why does it occur in so many animals in nature? If you say homosexuality is not natural then you basically say that its a choice, i hardly think animals choose what sexuality they are since they only run on instincts and genes that they are programmed with.

Roy and Silo belong to one of as many as 1,500 species of wild and captive animals that have been observed engaging in homosexual activity. Researchers have seen such same-sex goings-on in both male and female, old and young, and social and solitary creatures and on branches of the evolutionary tree ranging from insects to mamals

----------

A recent finding indicates that homosexual behavior may be so common because it is rooted in an animal’s brain wiring—at least in the case of fruit flies. In a study appearing earlier this year in Nature Neuroscience, neuroscientist David E. Featherstone of the University of Illinois at Chicago and his colleagues found that they could switch on homosexual leanings in fruit flies by manipulating a gene for a protein they call “genderblind,” which regulates communication between neurons that secrete and respond to the neurotransmitter glutamate.
    Males that carried the mutant genderblind gene—which depressed levels of the protein by about two thirds—were uncharacteristically attracted to the chemical cues exuded by other males. As a result, these mutant males courted and attempted to copulate with other males. The finding suggests that wild fruit flies may be prewired for both heterosexual and homosexual behavior, the authors write, but that the genderblind protein suppresses the glutamate-based circuits that promote homosexual behavior. Such brain architecture may enable same-sex behavior to surface easily, supporting the notion that it might confer an evolutionary advantage in some circumstances.
    (roy and Silo are the names of the penguins)

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...sexual-species

I also find the idea that someone just wakes up one day and thinks " you know what im going to be gay from now on and join a minority group" laughable

Also how does ethics comes into it, i would say its unethical to tell two consenting adults what they can and cant do in their bedrooms in private based on what someone else thinks they should and shouldnt be doing

metta
    Last edited by Anicca; 06 July 2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Not to do evil, to cultivate the good, and to purify the mind. This is the teaching of all the Buddha's"

Admin Note

Good for the gays in India.

Thanks,
    satay

Thread Information