Thread: Penance

Penance

In some sects particularly, penance is a substantial part of bhakti. Some would just refer to these as 'acts of devotion' Examples of penances are long walking yatras, rolling around temples, food fasting (various sorts, times etc.), kavadi (for Murugan), sexual abstinence for periods of time, silence vows, head-shaving, and probably more.

I am interested in other devotee's ideas for the reasons behind penance, the philosophical point of it (any scriptural references) , history, and also if anyone has had personal experiences, and can share, although I would think most penances are very personal. In other words I'd like to see a bit of a discussion on the topic, even from people who think the whole idea would be useless.

The other day I got thinking about this topic because I witnessed a devotee walking around and around my home temple. It was probably for 108 times, but perhaps 51, or an even 100. The devotee was using 2 bowls to count, containing a number of almonds, which were passed from one bowl to the other one at a time as they were passed on the circuit.

Aum Namasivaya

Re: Penance

Namaste EM Ji,

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Mind View Post
    In some sects particularly, penance is a substantial part of bhakti. Some would just refer to these as 'acts of devotion' Examples of penances are long walking yatras, rolling around temples, food fasting (various sorts, times etc.), kavadi (for Murugan), sexual abstinence for periods of time, silence vows, head-shaving, and probably more.

I am interested in other devotee's ideas for the reasons behind penance, the philosophical point of it (any scriptural references) , history, and also if anyone has had personal experiences, and can share, although I would think most penances are very personal. In other words I'd like to see a bit of a discussion on the topic, even from people who think the whole idea would be useless.

The other day I got thinking about this topic because I witnessed a devotee walking around and around my home temple. It was probably for 108 times, but perhaps 51, or an even 100. The devotee was using 2 bowls to count, containing a number of almonds, which were passed from one bowl to the other one at a time as they were passed on the circuit.
    IMO, the devotee has either some wish to be fulfilled or he wants to show his devotion to deity he worships. In the first case, the devotee vows that if so & so desire is fulfilled, he would do such & such thing e.g. abstaining from sex for a certain period, take a difficult journey to reach a certain shrine, just offer some special things in "prasad", fasting etc. etc. I myself am a witness to such a miracle in my life. Long back before my familiarity with Vedantic teachings, meditation etc., (nearly 20 years back or so), I faced a difficult situation in my life. One of my niece was suffering from acute stomach pains for quite sometime. She was only 7 years old at that time & was administered strong doses of pain relievers through injection. Once I was away from home on official duty & her situation worsened. We consulted many doctors & they couldn't find out what the reason was. The diagnosis included X-ray, Ultrasound etc. but nothing was noticed. Doctor finally suggested Barium Test which involved danger of exposing the girl child for a prolonged time to harmful X-rays. I discussed the possible harmful effect on the child in her future life & felt that it was really a difficult decision for a child of this age.

I prayed to Goddess Kamakhya ( I was living near the shrine at that time) & vowed that I would do "havan" & keep fast if the child was cured. From next day we found that she didn't have any pains. We waited & observed her for a full month & we realised that she was now cured. On my part, I kept fast & performed "havan" at the shrine with full devotion to Mother Kamakhya. With the grace of mother goddess, she never had the problem again & today she is a happy mother of two sons. She even might have forgotten that she ever had such pains !

However, my thinking has changed a lot today. I would not like to enter into such a bargain with God. I would ask for His/Her help whenever I need just because He/She is my Father/Mother & a child has every right to call His/Her Father/Mother for help whenever he/she needs. ... and there is no reason why He/She would not come to help ! I must say, that God has never failed me in spite of all my weaknesses as a true devotee. I am a troublesome child of God who keeps on asking God for even small things !!

Regards,

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Devotee: Beautiful example, and I think that that is the most common reason .. a 'deal' with God. Interesting that you know longer deem it necessary. Personally, there are times I just 'feel' like doing penance. It usually involves prayer for future. For example when I was teaching, usually the day before school started, I would go to temple and do 108 prostrations in front of Lord Ganesha, to help remove obstacles for the year. This I would call 'clearing the way' penance. Of course, unlike your example, there is less proof that it works.

Aum Namasivaya

Namaste EM,

Yes, I don't like putting God to test by having such a 'deal'. This makes my devotion to God look very selfish. 'Father'/'Mother' must have the final right to decide what is good for their child.

There are quite a few miracles in my life which happened without having any such deal ! So, that proves that it is not necessary in the first place.

OM
    "Om Namo Bhagvate Vaasudevaye"

Tonsure

This is perhaps the widest prevalent form of penance and ritual among the Hindus, cutting across age, caste and position. People give up their hair to redeem their vow of debt (called 'nErthikkaDan' in Tamil) in a temple, popular among them being Tirupati and Palani--where the temples export the collected hair to business firms making wigs. Children, boy or girl, usually before the first year of age, are given a complete tonsure in the temple of the family deity (known as 'chauLakarma'); they also undergo the samskAra of ear-pricking. The 'Ashvalayana Grihyasutra' and 'Paraskara Grihyasutra' have details about such Hindu samskAras. Check the article 'Sacraments – Samskaras' at http://www.hinduism.co.za/sacramen.htm for further details. The first haircut is celebrated as a ritual in many religions and cultures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_haircut

For humans, the hair on the head is among the prestigious and valuable possessions of the body. Giving it up symbolizes giving up of the ego itself. Sporting a clean-shaven head might be somewhat acceptable today, but person with a clean-shaven head in many societies often causes a good number of quizzical frowns. The hair on the head is thus considered a prime bodily possession: in fact a Tamil term for 'hair' is 'muDi' that also means 'crown'. By giving the hair on head in penance, the person subjects the self to those frowns, learning to ignore them and also shows to the world that he is capable of giving up the ego.

From 'The Sixteen Samskaras Part-1'
    (http://www.commsp.ee.ic.ac.uk/~panch...0samskaras.pdf)

According to Sushruta, the significance of head shaving, together with nail cutting, is to give delight, lightness, prosperity, courage and happiness (Chikitsasthan. Ch. 24-72). Charaka also voiced a similar opinion.

A tuft of hair (shikha, chotli) is left in place at the top of the head for longevity. Sushruta points out its significance, "Inside the head, near the top, is the joint of a shira (artery) and a sandhi (critical juncture). There, in the eddy of hairs, is a vital spot called the adhipati (overlord). Any injury to this part causes sudden death" (Sharirsthan Ch. VI, 83). In the course of time, the shikha was regarded as a symbol of the Hindu Dharma and its removal came to be regarded as a grave sin (Laghu Harita IV)
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Vannakkam Saidevo: Thank you for details on tonsure. I would think it is a greater penance for women to undergo, because of culture. Certainly that would be true in the west, where far more time is spent on keeping the hair than is necessary. In India where it is more common, I'm not so sure if that would be the case.

Aum Namasivaya

VaNakkam EM.

As you said, tonsure is a greater penance for women, because a long hair considered a gift for Hindu women. Brahmin widows in those days were subjected to tonsure of head, but this custom has died down. Speaking of tonsure for women, the name of the India-born actress Persis Khambatta comes to mind.

Food and Fasting: Food

In Hinduism, food is an aspect of Brahman: 'annam parabrahma svarUpaM' as the saying goes. In honour of this name, our physical body is named as 'annamaya koSha'. Orthodox Hindus mentall offer food to God before eating.

A child's first feeding of cooked rice is celebrated by the Hindus as a ritual known as 'annaprasanam'. The funeral rites of a deceased person also invove serving food to the departed soul. On festive occasions, food is offered to God in the form of 'nivedanam' before it is consumed by the household members. Food is also classified on the order of the three 'guNas'--sattva, rajas, tamas; most vegetarian food is sattvic. The saying 'atithi devo bhavaH'--'a guest becomes a god' in Taittiriya Upanishad stresses the importance of sharing food in charity.

Some quotes on food:

"I speak the truth, it is indeed his death. He who nourishes neither the god nor a friend, he who eats alone, gathers sin." (Rig Veda X.117)

"From earth herbs, from herbs food, from food seed, from seed man. Man thus consists of the essence of food." (Taittiriya Upanishad)

"From food are produced all creatures which dwell on earth. Then they live by food, and in the end they return to food. For food is the oldest of all beings, and therefore it is called panacea." (Taittiriya Upanishad)

"Food is in truth the Lord of Creation (PrajApati). From food is produced 'retas' (the sexul energy or semen) and from it beings are born." (Prasna Upanishad)

According to Manu, "Food, that is always worshipped, gives strength and manly vigor; but eaten irreverently, it destroys them both."

For other scriptural quotes on food, check this thread:
    http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=572

Food and Fasting: Fasting

In Hinduism, absention from food is mainly done for spiritual gains, although it has the additional benefit of tuning up the health. Since food invariably results in gratification of senses, fasting becomes a great instrument for self-discipline. Luqman, the wise once said, "When the stomach is full, the intellect begins to sleep. Wisdom becomes mute and the parts of the body restrain from acts of righteousness."

Hindus fast on certain days of the month (such as 'pUrNima','ekAdashi', 'sankaTahara chaturthi'); certain days of the week (depending on one's favourite god: e.g., Devi worshippers fast on Fridays either completely or eating only one meal in a day); at festival times (a popular example is ShivarAtri); absention also involves staying away from specific food substances such as onion, garlic, salt on some days; a common form of fasting is a diet known as 'phalAhAr': avoid cereals and taking only fruits and milk. Apart from these occasions, fasting is also undertaken as a form of penance for some divine favour, e.g. a wife fasts as a penance for restoration of her husband's health.

Socially, fasting was introduced by Gandhiji as a form of non-violent protest, but India's politicians these days make a farce of it. Orthodox and ascetic Hindus regularly resort to fasting to improve their spiritual progress.

Ayurveda sees the basic cause of many diseases as the accumulation of toxic materials in the digestive system. Regular cleansing of toxic materials keeps one healthy. By fasting, the digestive organs get rest and all body mechanisms are cleansed and corrected. A complete fast is good for heath, and the occasional intake of warm lemon juice during the period of fasting prevents the flatulence.

MahAbhArata considers fasting as the highest and best form of penance:

"Of all kinds of penances, however, that one may practise after abstaining from pleasure and enjoyment, abstention from food is the highest and best. The penance involved in abstention from food is superior, O king, to even compassion, truthfulness of speech, gifts, and restraining the senses." (The Mahabharata Santi parva, Section CLXI)

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Vanakkam Saidevo:

A lot of people here say they are fasting when they abstain from meat. This is a joke IMHO.
    What is/was Gandhiji's definition of a fast? I assume it was water only, but am not sure.
    Also, is there any avurvedic cure for headache as a result of fasting? That's what happens to me, so I have kind of given up the practice as last time the headache got quite severe. But it's been a few years, so maybe I could try again.
    To add to your post, for religious leaders, it is also acceptable to fast to death, if you are terminally ill.

Aum Namasivaya

'kAvaDi', Palani and Lord Murugan (aka ShaNmukhA and KArtikeyA)

The most cited reference for the origin of 'kAvaDi' is the story of the asura IDumban:
    http://palani.org/kavadi.htm and http://www.palanitemples.com/

• 'KAvaDi' appears to be a word of Tamil origin - a combination of the words 'kAvi' and 'adi'. 'KAvi' means 'saffron' implying asceticism and 'adi' means 'foot' signifying pilgrimage. Taken together the significance of the word is very clear. The devotee takes a vow to live the life of an ascetic for a particular period and then, as the culmination, travels to the temple of Lord Muruga by foot, bearing that symbol of purity - the kAvaDi.

• Devotees carry different varieties of ‘kAvaDi’ like flower, milk, paneer etc. Traditionally, however, the devotee carries on his shoulders a semi-circular decorated canopy supported by a wooden rod to the temple of Lord Muruga, where special prayers are offered. This semi-circular object, called the kAvaDi, signifies that the devotee has observed a term of strict abstinence in order to undertake the pilgrimage to the temple. The bearer of the kAvaDi therefore earns respect all around.

Murugan in the Vedas, Upanishads and Smriti texts

• Muruga is mentioned in the Rig Vedas as the overwhelming power in the cosmic order.

• The Atharva Veda describes Kumaran as 'Agnibhuh' or son of Agni, the fire god.

• The Satapatha Brahmana refers to him as the son of Rudra and the ninth form of Agni.

• The Taittiriya Aranyaka contains the Gayatri mantra for Shanmukha.

• The Chandogya Upanishad refers to Skanda as the "way that leads to wisdom".

• In the Surya Namaskara Sthotra, the lines 'SubramaNioham, SubramaNioham' describes Him as the source of all Vedas.

• The Baudhayana Dharmasutra mentions Skanda as 'MahAsena' and 'SubrahmaNya.'

• Sri Krishna describes Him in the Gita as a great warrior ('senAnim aham skandhaH', 10.21).

• The Aranya Parva canto of the Mahabharata relates the legend of Kartikeya Skanda in considerable detail.

• The Skanda Purana is devoted to the narrative of Kartikeya.

• Skanda's glories are given in detail in VishNu SahasranAma.

• In 'SubramaNya Bhujangam', Adi Sankara Says: "My eyes should feast on your elegance and beauty, my ears should hear young songs, my tongue should utter your glory and my hands and heart should continuously engage in you service."

Chronology of Palani

Here is a quick-ref on the chronology of Palani, Tamilnadu, one of the six abodes of Lord Muruga specially known for its 'kAvaDi' festivities:

3102 BCE: Start of Kali Yuga; Murugan is known as Kali Yuga Varada the Great Redeemer who dispels the darkness of Kali and confers happiness.

3000 BCE: The Tolkappiyam, the first extant work on Tamil Grammar, refers to Muruga as the Lord of the Hilly Regions. Muruga Triads in Mohenjo Daro. Bhogar created Nava Bashana image of Lord Dandayudhapani.

1st century CE:
    Poet Nakkirar codified the list of six most sacred shrines of Muruga and placed Tiru Avinankudi (Palani) as third of the six in his poetic work Tiru MurukARRuppaDai. PattinappAlai, ParipADal and other Sangam works speak of Muruga worship.

2nd century CE: Avi of VeLir dynasty ruled over Palani (then called Pothini) according to AhanAnURu.

8th century CE: King Cheraman Perumal built or renovated the sanctum sanctorum at the hill and constructed the Chera Vinayakar Temple at the flight of steps leading to the hill.

14th century CE: For some centuries until this period, the maintenance and expansion of the temple was done by the Pandya rulers. Earlier, it was part of Kongu country and Palani is referred to as the eastern limit of the Kongu kingdom in Kongu mandala Sathakam and other works.

Sources:
    http://www.palanitemples.com/
    http://www.hindu.com/fr/2005/01/21/s...2100400600.htm
    http://www.sanatan.org/en/festivals/hindu/ksv3.htm
    Last edited by saidevo; 10 July 2009 at 10:46 AM.

--viShNu purANam

Vannakkam;

Coincidentally or not, I did dream of Palani last night. Darshan in dreams can be so very strong.

But during the festival time at my home temple this year, I met a fellow who had a very interesting story to tell of Palani. He was a project engineer employed in Dubai for some time, but had lost his job so was back at home in Madurai. He and his family of wife and 2 kids were pretty broke it seems, but living with family. The youngest needed to have the first haircut done, and the family tradition was to have it done at Palani. So they go off by bus early in the day. The trip is really about the daughter and this important samskara. But when they get to the holy shrine itself, it sort of dawns on him that maybe he should be praying for a new job as well. So he does. They go back down the steps, take refreshment, and board the bus to go home. Then he gets a phone call. Its a job offer from UAE, and he thinks 'wow'. After getting the details, he hangs up. Within 5 minutes, he gets another job offer from Qatar. Same thing. Then once more, another 5 minutes, he gets a job offer from here in Canada, from my city, Edmonton. This is the one he takes, and now he and family are regular devotees at the wish fulfilling temple we have here.

Such is the power of Palaniandavar.

Another more funny story just before my pilgrimage. This guy and I start talking at the temple and I mention I'm going to India. he has already told me that he is from Kerala, and as usual when I meet someone, they basically assume I know nothing of India. So anyways he says 'But there's this one temple you can't miss." I'm thinking.. 'Some temple in Kerala, obviously, as I've been throught the ethnocentric 'my home temple is THE temple thing with several people already. So I respond, "Where in Kerala?"
    He says 'its actually not in Kerala, its across the border a short way into Tamil Nadu. (All the time he's assuming I know nothing, which is pretty fair, but not quite correct.) This temple has the name of Palani, and is a Murugan Temple."

I say, not letting on that this is the central temple of my inner pilgrimage, "That's nice, I think I've heard of it. In fact, I think we're going there. Glad you told me about it."

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information