Thread: 19 Angels guarding hell

19 Angels guarding hell

And what will make you realize what hell is?
    It leaves naught nor does it spare aught.
    It scorches the mortal.
    Over it are nineteen
    And We have not made the wardens of the fire others than angels
    ...[Devas]“
    (Quran, Sura 74:27-31)

This “19” has been source to a lot of discussion in Islamic interpretation… Now let’s compare to this:

(The Self) seated in the waking state and called Vaisvanara who, possessed of the consciousness of the exterior, and seven limbs and nineteen mouths, enjoys the gross objects, is the first quarter.
    (The Self) seated in the state of dream and called Taijasa who, possessed of the consciousness of the interior, and seven limbs and nineteen mouths, enjoys the subtle objects, is the second quarter.

(Mandukya Upanishad 3-4)

Devas in Hinduism are also regarded as the tattvas. In this case: "Nineteen mouths": 5 organs of perception, 5 organs of action, 5 pranas, mind (manas), intellect (buddhi), I-consciousness (ahamkara), mind-stuff (chitta).

Just an observation I made, but what do you think?
    “There is a Guru in each of us. It is the Atma principle. It is the Eternal Witness functioning as Conscience in everyone. With this Conscience as guide, let all actions be done.” (sss20-15)

Re: 19 Angels guarding hell

Quote Originally Posted by Ekanta View Post
    And what will make you realize what hell is?
    It leaves naught nor does it spare aught.
    It scorches the mortal.
    Over it are nineteen
    And We have not made the wardens of the fire others than angels...[Devas]“
    (Quran, Sura 74:27-31)

This “19” has been source to a lot of discussion in Islamic interpretation… Now let’s compare to this:

(The Self) seated in the waking state and called Vaisvanara who, possessed of the consciousness of the exterior, and seven limbs and nineteen mouths, enjoys the gross objects, is the first quarter.
    (The Self) seated in the state of dream and called Taijasa who, possessed of the consciousness of the interior, and seven limbs and nineteen mouths, enjoys the subtle objects, is the second quarter.
    (Mandukya Upanishad 3-4)

Devas in Hinduism are also regarded as the tattvas. In this case: "Nineteen mouths": 5 organs of perception, 5 organs of action, 5 pranas, mind (manas), intellect (buddhi), I-consciousness (ahamkara), mind-stuff (chitta).

Just an observation I made, but what do you think?
    I think that this is an excellent observation.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

RESPONSE

About the 19 angels guarding Hell, many miraculous calculations have been done.
    Last edited by satay; 26 October 2009 at 01:47 PM.

Re: 19 Angels guarding hell

Namaste,

Any comparisons drawn between the Hindu scriptures the quran about simillarities will only mean islam having taken from Hinduism because Hinduism is extremely old, by far the oldest. Especially the shruti texts.

So if you tell me that muhammad's quran draws parallels, that only means muhammad copied it.

The Devas in Hinduism are not "angels".

May I know where you get this from?

Thread Information