Thread: Handy translation utility site

Handy translation utility site

yaireva patanaM dravyaiH siddhistaireva choditA .
    shrI kauladarshane chApi bhairaveNa mahAtmanA .

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Re: Handy translation utility site

Pranam,
    Perfect! Just what I've been looking for.

Thanks, thanks a lot!
    Hiwaunis

I found it just today, and also was thrilled

I'm glad to share!

I also found this site today - http://groups.google.com/group/yoga-vasishtha?hl=en

Studying translations, especially of such a beautiful scripture, is one of my favorite things to do ... and the notes (on the right) are quite interesting to study.

"The medium is the message." (McLuhan)

Namaste,
    ZN

It is revealed in the sacred doctrine of Kula and by the great Bhairava, that the perfection is achieved by that very means by which fall occurs.

Here is another online dictionary Website for Sanskrit and Tamil that I regularly use:

Sanskrit, Tamil and Pahlavi Dictionaries
    http://webapps.uni-koeln.de/tamil/
    रत्नाकरधौतपदां हिमालयकिरीटिनीम् ।
    ब्रह्मराजर्षिररत्नाढ्यां वन्दे भारतमातरम् ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    I found it just today, and also was thrilled

I'm glad to share!

I also found this site today - http://groups.google.com/group/yoga-vasishtha?hl=en

Studying translations, especially of such a beautiful scripture, is one of my favorite things to do ... and the notes (on the right) are quite interesting to study.

"The medium is the message." (McLuhan)

Namaste,
    ZN
    Few of my friends refused steadfastly to take up Yoga Vasishta for study, fearing destruction. Very valid fears they have.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Quote Originally Posted by atanu View Post
    Few of my friends refused steadfastly to take up Yoga Vasishta for study, fearing destruction. Very valid fears they have.

Meaning, what?????

This self-Affectation-only~body is self-Conception~self-Bhâva~born. It is experienced within as delusion

I can only wonder, not having a context ... but my initial response to interacting with the scripture and translation was WOW!

That said, I could see it as being unacceptable to some structures or orthodoxies, easily, on first blush. That's what intrigues me, I suppose

I look forward to your elaboration on that, dear atanu.

Namaste,
    ZN

Quote Originally Posted by Znanna View Post
    [/font][/b]

That said, I could see it as being unacceptable to some structures or orthodoxies, easily, on first blush. That's what intrigues me, I suppose

I look forward to your elaboration on that, dear atanu.

Namaste,
    ZN
    Dear Hiwaunis and ZN,

Yes, ZN's guess is OK. Although, in the context of my friends, the word 'unacceptable' may not be exact. They were apprehensive that all structures and orthodoxies, based on which one functions, gets disturbed by scripture such as Yoga Vasishta. Some people do not recommend it for family people. Though for me, the reverse is true, since the scripture is able to confer a dispassionate perspective right from the beginning.

The very first big story of Lila (?) attacks the notion of time. Surprisingly that story was taught in my daughter's school, though the import might have been lost on those young kids, who take the story as a fairy tale only.

Every page of Yoga Vashista destroys the solid beliefs regarding solid things.

Om
    Last edited by atanu; 14 July 2009 at 05:50 AM.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Every page of Yoga Vashista destroys the solid beliefs regarding solid things.
    I guess that's why I like it

"Unacceptable" ... hey I was being polite, moderate...hehehe...

Namaste,
    ZN

What I like most about Yoga Vashista is a single question. Vashista asks Rama "How a mental thought, which is entirely subtle, contacts gross arms and legs and is able to move them? A subtle thought cannot have a surface of contact with the gross to exert pressure."

I do not know. The scientists may come up with a lot of explanations.

I arrived at the explanation "Since the arms and legs are subtle in reality. They are made of sensual consciousness".

Om Namah Shivaya

Thread Information