Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Post images of your shrine!

Re: Post images of your shrine!

The last couple of times I've been in Delhi I've gone to the fixed price emporium shops off Connaught Place, bringing back an extra bag of high quality idols- consequently my present shrine is far larger than three or four other ones I've maintained over recent years.

I also bought some quality prints of deity paintings which are on the wall- it's best to have nothing above the gods but I guess they're only other gods. I got these on the street actually near Ajmer Gate for only R30 each...

I'm living in China so I also have a trio of Taoist-Shenist folk gods called Fu, Lu and Shou, and one of Avalokiteswara a female form of the Buddha; I've revised a few things since these photos but nothing important.

Also included are a couple of young friends who called round a while ago.

Any thoughts welcome...

Be without the three gunas, O Arjuna

delete
    Last edited by Sudas Paijavana; 17 January 2014 at 08:33 PM.

Older pic:

Fresh wildflowers from the countryside and the summer's first cherry from our tree:

"Be the change you wish to see in other people." ~Gandhi

Hi Anima, I'm wondering what the design on the cloth is- looks like dragons?

I'm guessing your idols are Durga and Radha-Krisha...

Namaste Girisha,

And thank you for sharing your shrine pictures with us.

Yes, my Deities are Goddess Durga and Radha Krishna. Ganesha is in the middle. Aren't they wonderful? The cloth is silk with dragons on it. There is a long story behind every image. I have recently fled my abusive family and living situation and will be establishing a new shrine soon.

Shri Ganesha is the first God I ever prayed to. That was less than a year ago. A Buddhist friend suggested I pray, so I prayed to him. One drop of His sweet knowledge has shown me more than I had fathomed in my first thirty years of “life.”

The cloth belonged to my late stepfather, who was Buddhist, and good friends with the man I mentioned above. My stepdad was one of the gentlest souls I have ever met. I never understood why he came to live with my chaotic and abusive family. Now I know that it was no accident and that the Gods pulled me and him together.

Durga is awesome. I thank Her for the dark mysteries I have experienced. More generally, that is Shakti, as I understand. Now I know there was light in them all along, like all things. She is strong in me, as is Shiva. They are not balanced and they are not united yet. Some see bhakti, some see jnana: some say one cannot be both. The truth is a story can be told in many tongues.

Goddess Radha has perfect love for the Lord. That is all I need.

Shri Krishna is my Ishta devata. Now I am getting tears in my eyes and will be going.

Pranam.
    "Be the change you wish to see in other people." ~Gandhi

Namaste Anima, nice to read your thoughts there.

Yes, an attractive shrine is good, showing the heart's there and welcoming the deities; I'm British but presently in China where the dragon is a national animal, along with the panda...

Regarding families, it's easy for many people to have one but in fact very few have all that much sensitivity or humanity; my experiences would have similarities to yours.

Praying is an interesting aesthetic experience, invoking the gods for worship, thanks or supplication- they don't intervene directly but through the divinity enlivened in you all things can be achieved. Hinduism is both deistic and theistic.

Shakti is the female principle so I see her as Durga, Parvati or Mahadevi in more abstract form.

Bhakti as faith is the total knowledge of jnana, both being developed states of mind where you're secure in your outlook and free of error; jnana is at one with bhakti because knowledge isn't really conceptual but intuitive.

My Ishta devata and presiding deity is Saraswati as I'm interested in the transformation of learning into knowledge, and in music. Let's talk again another time.

The world's full of serious problems and whatever your story, the god in me acknowledges that in you.

Namaste,

I am always amazed to hear how converts or non-born Hindus come to discover Sanatana Dharma through Ganesha first Truly is the Foremost of Devas.

Despite how varied all these shrines are, there is almost always room for Ganapati. A uniting element between all these beautiful altars to God.

Om namah Shivaya
    "Watch your thoughts, they become words.
    Watch your words, they become actions.
    Watch your actions, they become habits.
    Watch your habits, they become your character.
    Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."

ॐ गं गणपतये नमः
    Om Gam Ganapataye namah

लोकाः समस्ताः सुखिनो भवन्तु ।
    Lokaah SamastaaH Sukhino Bhavantu

Here's my shrine at my home:

Consists of a Kshetra-Shaligram, and Sri Ganesh + Sri Durga.

Although it is not an altar but merely the wall of my room,I post it here:
    https://ibb.co/ZBKYD59

Thread Information