Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddha in my shrine?

Buddha in my shrine?

namaste,

Can buddha be used in my shrine as a shaivite hindu?

Re: Buddha in my shrine?

You should ask this question in Buddha forum. Usually no Hindu will say no. We have many different murties in our shrine.

Thanks i was asking for a hindu view. Because soon i will get Nataraja and will have Lord Ganesha, Nataraja, and buddha in my shrine until i get more.

This is something I'm also interested to know about, as I keep a statue of the Buddhist goddess Guan Yin (boddhisattva of compassion) in my shrine along with Lord Ganesha.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    This is something I'm also interested to know about, as I keep a statue of the Buddhist goddess Guan Yin (boddhisattva of compassion) in my shrine along with Lord Ganesha.
    Guan Yin can also be male as Chenrezig/Avavlokiteshvara. in 4 armed, and 1000 armed forms

Yes, in Eastern Asian Buddhism they're essentially the same - I suppose underscoring the unimportance of gender if we are the consider the ultimate reality which is neither male nor female.

I happen to have a particularly soft spot for Guan Yin. She appeared in my dreams once, and it inspired me to learn more about Buddhism, and from there, Hinduism.

Quote Originally Posted by sunyata07 View Post
    Yes, in Eastern Asian Buddhism they're essentially the same - I suppose underscoring the unimportance of gender if we are the consider the ultimate reality which is neither male nor female.

I happen to have a particularly soft spot for Guan Yin. She appeared in my dreams once, and it inspired me to learn more about Buddhism, and from there, Hinduism.
    same here, i was on the preliminaries to tantric practice before I adopted hinduism.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    namaste,

Can Buddha be used in my shrine as a shaivite hindu?
    Namaste SS,

I have Buddha in my shrine. Some may oppose, but most will not. That, IMO, is beauty of Hinduism. Om Namah Shivaya.
    That which is without letters (parts) is the Fourth, beyond apprehension through ordinary means, the cessation of the phenomenal world, the auspicious and the non-dual. Thus Om is certainly the Self. He who knows thus enters the Self by the Self.

Thanks a lot atanu. I trust your views. I am contemplating getting many different murtis for my shrine. Though I will be most focused on my lessons from self realization fellowship but I may do Bhakti practices.

-juan

Id go for it if it inspires you and brings about wholesome mind states in some way
    "Not to do evil, to cultivate the good, and to purify the mind. This is the teaching of all the Buddha's"

Thread Information