Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Rama?

Re: Who is Rama?

Quote Originally Posted by chandu_69 View Post
    With regards to eclipses the description appears to be symbolic but the calculations developed by sages to forecast Future eclipses is accurate to the minute.

I suggest researching about Oort cloud.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oort_cloud

It no longer looks absurd.
    ganga, yamuna and sarasvati are well known in the Yogic traditions to represent the iDa-pingaLa-sushUmna nADi-s. So gangAvataranaM is pretty much straight forward to explain. I have heard of the Oort Clouds, but how do you think that explains Ganga being the pApanAshini or that Ganga has three branches one in heaven, earth and the pAthALa?
    Guard your Dharma, Burn the Myth, Promote the Truth, Crush the superstition.

Smile Re: Who is Rama?

Quote Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
    ganga, yamuna and sarasvati are well known in the Yogic traditions to represent the iDa-pingaLa-sushUmna nADi-s.
    And they are also real including Saraswati.

I have heard of the Oort Clouds, but how do you think that explains Ganga being the pApanAshini or that Ganga has three branches one in heaven, earth and the pAthALa?
    There are still huge clouds of water out there in universe(Heaven let us say).The hymn that there is water everywhere could indicate that.

The ort cloud thing is not yet Fully developed.So we have to be content with the basic idea we have, for now.

Don't rule out anything in a hurry.that is how i take it.

Namaste,

I do want to clarify that I was not questioning if Hanuman exist, I was just wondering if he really is a Monkey type being or if that is just symbolic. etc..

Pranam Sudarshan ji

Quote Originally Posted by Sudarshan View Post
    If you consider the story of Rama as historical, what dates do you assign to them? Do you take it as between 3000 B.C-8000 B.C as done by some modern Hindus or do you literally interpret it as a treta yuga story which occurred more than a million years ago?
    Dates have no value for me, time ‘past’ is history and that is precisely what is puran I don’t have to spell it out what that means. In this case I have to go by what Ramayan is telling me and not someone’s speculation.

I was a firm believer in the historicity a few years ago, but ever since I studied the history of the world from a modern perspective

Modern history is ok but unfortunately that is mainly dominated by western mind, many a times truth has been a casualty in preference to their personal agenda. It is a known fact that lots of our scripture has been tempered with a view to discredit the Vedic dharma, it was unpalatable for them to see a culture so advance then theirs, so they did not hesitate to spread lies about our dharma. I dare say even today everything Indian that is good will be absent from news where else they will not fail to highlight the bad.

So forgive me if put more faith in our scriptures, (even though at times something seems unfathomable) then the modern history.

my faith in the historical interpretation of purANa-s have diminished. I now increasingly look upon them as metaphors and this seems to explain many seemingly absurd purANic accounts well, for instance the traditional belief of eclipses caused by some demons swallowing the sun, river ganga descending from the sky, oceans formed by digging of the earth by the sons of Sagara, flying mountains, animal sacrifices and a lots of stories like these.

I put my faith in the Rishis of yore who are very powerful, just as Chandu mentioned if they can precisely predict eclipses then who am to judge their view on Rahu, how ever absurd it may seem. There are stories in puran that is way beyond my understanding but then nuclear science is also lost to me.

How a simple atom can have a chain reaction and capable to destroy the world?

To a modern thinker few decades ago, Ravan’s and ahiravan’s ability to converse at a distance apart must have sounded like a fairy tale but now we are having argument in the comfort of our house, continent apart.
    The difference being they did it without the aid of modern yantras.

If for some reason the world were to be destroyed by a trigger happy lunatic and only some primitive being survived, I am sure they would find all this modern advances, well beyond their understanding.
    It is suffice to say those puranic Rishi knew the Naksatra, while not so long ago world was perceived to be flat.

Just because purANic stories may not be real does not mean that rAmA or kR^ishNa have no existance.
    If I believe the stories to be wrong then I have to concede the whole foundation is shaky

Whatever the devotee imagines the Lord to be, he experiences the Lord that way. Appearing in a form the devotee wishes to see, the Lord ( or the guru) further instructs him in the secrets of Yoga to reach the highest goal.
    God percieved by us is as per our understanding and maturity. In reality, God cannot be imagined by us, so the absolute experience of the Lord is beyond any description and can only be known by personal experience.
    Do you see the contradiction here in bold, but I do understand your sentiment.

And yes I agree Lord is known by personal endeavor , as the saying goes
    “ The taste of the pudding is in the eating.”
    Yet without the description of the Lord as given in Shastra I am lost, his address is well documented in those scriptures.

Jai Shree Ram
    Rig Veda list only 33 devas, they are all propitiated, worthy off our worship, all other names of gods are derivative from this 33 originals,
    Bhagvat Gita; Shree Krishna says Chapter 3.11 devan bhavayatanena te deva bhavayantu vah parasparam bhavayantah sreyah param avapsyatha Chapter 17.4 yajante sattvika devan yaksa-raksamsi rajasah pretan bhuta-ganams canye yajante tamasa janah
    The world disappears in him. He is the peaceful, the good, the one without a second.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Namaste,

Who is Lord Rama? Is the stories about him symbolic? Is Hanuman really a monkey ? or is that symbolic aswell?
    Alas..in blunderland...wikipedia is a good source

hari o
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

rāma राम - pleasing , pleasant , charming , lovely , beautiful.
    One root is ram - to delight , make happy
    rā is acquiring , possessing , yet as a noun it is splendor, luster. That is why 'rā' and ravi रवि is associated with the Sun. And what then is Sunday? ravidina , Sunday .

Another view of rāma is rāmacandra and balarāma 'the strong rāma', regarded as elder brother of kṛṣṇa. I have read śrī rāma as the 6th avatāra of viṣṇu and is sometimes called jāmadagnya; I have also read He was the 7th avatāra.

Yet if we look to an authoritative book, the śrīmad bhāgavata mahāpurāṇa, it clearly calls out śrī rāma as visnu's 18th avatāra.
    Here is the reference : http://bhagavata.org/canto1/chapter3.html

Is there more on this name? Lets see what M.Monier-Williams Sanskrit to English Dictionary ( 2002 version) has to offer us:
    • rāma = noun for varuṇa
    • rāma = a kind of deer; a horse ; a lover; pleasure , joy , delight
    • rāmā = a beautiful woman , any young and charming woman , mistress , wife , any woman ; red earth ; a kind of pigment; a river;
    • rāmā = a kind of metre i.e. (in music) a kind of measure.
    • rāmī =darkness , night
    praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Thank you Yajvanji
    Ramnam mani deep dhar jeeh dehri dwar,
    Tulsi bheetar bahrehu jo chahasi ujiyar.
    Rama is a truth , Ramnam is a truth , where there is no Ramnam , there is a deep Darkness . Rama is here , Rama is there , Rama is everywhere…jaisriRAMA .

hariḥ oṁ
    ~~~~~~

Namasté

more on śrī rāmaḥ's name, mantra-s and the sage vālmīki-ji can be found at this HDF post: http://www.hindudharmaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1116&highlight=mara

praṇām
    यतसà¥à¤¤à¥à¤µà¤‚ शिवसमोऽसि
    yatastvaṠśivasamo'si
    because you are identical with śiva

_

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritualseeker View Post
    Namaste,

Who is Lord Rama? Is the stories about him symbolic? Is Hanuman really a monkey ? or is that symbolic aswell?

Sri Ramacandra and Sri Hanumanji were EXACTLY THE SAME PERSONS as depicted in Tulsi Ramayan.

There is NOT A SINGLE SYMBOLIC meaning to it.

Why should a liberated,supremely intelligent person,just some 400-500 years ago fabricate such tales ???? Was he so dumb ???
    No.

even Ramkrishna Paramhamsa,who is the most recent example,narrated tales of Sri Rama and Sri krsna as reality WHICH THEY ARE.

Sri Rama is God.Supreme Person.By a mere fraction of Himself,He creates innumerable universes and creates innumerable Brahmas,Visnus and Mahesas.

He has a spiritual abode,which other religions call the kingdom of God.His names are all powerful,which guru nanak describes and which Sri Ramkrishna confirmed to be as taarak brahm that Sri shankara delivers in the ears of dying pple at Kashi.

He is cent percent a historical figure Who is eternal and not a avatara.

Sri Rambhadracchryaji famously presents Sri tulsidas' view.

Rama = Ra- Ramapati(Sri Vishnu) and ma-Mahesvara

Rama is He Who is the Father of Sri Visnu and Sri Mahesvara.

Thread Information