Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lord Muruga

Lord Muruga

Lord Muruga

Murugan, the ever-youthful champion-deity of South Asian song, legend and literature, has long been far more than His diminutive appearance suggests. Presenting the outward resemblance of a boy or a youth (or any other form that pleases Him!), Guha 'the Mysterious' repeatedly surfaces in myth, lore and legend from remote prehistory down to the present, for He always is in the 'here and now' (Tamil: ippō-ingē), within and yet beyond time and space.

if you call on Murugan Bhakti even occasionally, sooner or later you are likely to feel attached to Skanda-Murugan and the rainbow of spiritual paths that converge upon Him.

if you call on Murugan Bhakti even occasionally, sooner or later you are likely to feel attached to Skanda-Murugan and the rainbow of spiritual paths that converge upon Him.

Sri Jñāna Pandita: Murugan as Expositor of Gnosis with His symbols the Vēl Āyudha or Spear of Wisdom and vehicle/totem the Peacock - Phoenix. Behind Him rises the morning Sun symbolising the awakened state (bodhi) of the jñāni or Comprehensor.

Sri Jñāna Pandita: Murugan as Expositor of Gnosis with His symbols the Vēl Āyudha or Spear of Wisdom and vehicle/totem the Peacock - Phoenix. Behind Him rises the morning Sun symbolising the awakened state (bodhi) of the jñāni or Comprehensor.

Source for all except the photo
    http://murugan.org/bhakti.htm

Re: Lord Muruga

"The fiery Mass That stood as Brahman
    That hasth no beginning
    Assuming a form from formless,
    From several unto One,
    Thus rose a Tirumuruga
    With six merciful faces and twelve eyes,
    For the universe to get rescued."
    -Kanta Puranam by Kacciyappa Sivachariyar

Muruga's glory and pre-eminence arise due to three reasons: He 'arrived' on this planet as the son of Lord Siva, as the younger brother of Lord Ganesa and as the nephew of Lord Narayana. He is venerated as Kaliyuga Varada, the God who blesses and protects those who ardently seek His grace (in this Age of Quarrel).4 Kausalya, Lord Rama's mother invoked the blessings of Skanda when Rama took leave of her prior to his departure to the forest as per King Dasaratha's wish.5 And in the Bhagavad Gita, Lord Krishna declares that among all commanders, He is Skanda.6 Muruga contains in Himself the three divine eternal functions -- creation (sristi), protection (sthithi) and destruction (samhara) as evidenced by the three first letters in His name: MU -- Mukundan (Vishnu), RU -- Rudra (Siva) and KA -- Kamalan (Brahma). The three integral elements of Muruga's personality are spear (vel) in His hand, peacock as His mount and cock adorning His banner. Vel signifies jñanasakti (power of wisdom); this was given to Muruga by His Divine Mother. Parvati wishing Him victory over asuras (titans) led by the tyrannous Surapadma. The glittering spear of Muruga is venerated by devotees as Sakti Vel or Veera Vel signifying its extraordinary power and strength. Cock and peacock represent nada and bindu. The peacock displays the divine shape of Omkara when it spreads its magnificent plumes into a full-blown circular form, while the cock proclaims loudly the Pranava sound OM. Muruga shines as the very essence of the Vedas and mantras.7

The epic Skanda Purana, one of the eighteen puranas created by Veda Vyasa, vividly narrates the circumstances which led to the divine 'appearance' of Muruga, His glory and heroic achievements.12 He 'rose' to protect gods who were subject to extreme tormentation and cruelty by demon Surapadma. They all appealed collectively to Lord Siva to come to their rescue. Moved by their plight, Siva willed to bring forth a powerful divine personality, an element of Himself, but yet distinct from Him, Who would have unparalleled bravery and Who alone would be able to slay Surapadma and his clan. The extremely powerful spark which emanated from His third eye was carried by the Fire God (Agni) and was deposited in Saravana ('stand of reeds') Lake; there arose six cute tiny tots who were looked after by six Krittika maidens; the six forms later united to become a single Six-Faced Child with resplendent beauty. Added to Siva's five faces Sadhyojata, Vamadeva, Aghora, Tatpurusa and Ishana was Adhomurka; thus He became Shanmukha. He is known as Saravanabhava as He emerged out of Saravana Lake, and Karttikeya since six Krittika maidens took the six babies in their arms and showered affection on them.
    Source: http://murugan.org/ayyar_1.htm

Namaste,

atanu, devotee, or easternmind could you help me understand this story below

Brahma, the Creator, happened to slight the young Muruga during one of his visits to Kailasa. Muruga wished to teach a lesson to the Creator for his act of imprudence. He asked the four-faced Creator the meaning of the Pranava. When he could not explain satisfactorily, Muruga taunted Brahma and not content with that imprisoned him too. He concluded that Brahma was not fit to perform the assigned job. He then assumed the role of the Creator! Muruga freed Brahma from prison when Siva, Vishnu and Indra prayed at His lotus Feet and requested for the release of the Creator
    source: http://murugan.org/ayyar_1.htm

I have no idea. lol

I don't focus on stories like this. But I sure love the energy coming from a 2000 year old murthi of Muruga like at Palani Hills. lol

Hope you get your answer.

Aum Saravanabhava

Lol thanks brother. Well ill remain patient. I am considering praying to Lord Muruga aswell. I usually just pray to Lord Ganesha and Lord Siva and to the devas in generality.

SS: Any luck contacting Murugan?

(I can't wait for Skanda Shasti)

Here's his phone number: Aum Saravanabhava ... repeat many times.

Aum Saravanabhava

But I think we need Guru for chatting any mantra

Namaste LALKAR:

I think you mean 'chanting', not chatting. No problem.

You are correct for many mantras. I think most gurus would say that "Aum" is perfectly safe.

Advice on this varies from guru to guru, I'm sure.

Many mantras are also bhajans, as you know. Aum Namasivaya has several variations in bhajans. I heard the mantra "Aum Saravanabhava" on loudspeakers at Tiruchendur temple for a straight 3 to 4 hour period, so it sort of got stuck in my head. I guess if the gurus there (Dharmapuram Aadheenam) were really concerned, they wouldn't have it playing, would they? But of course, as I said, various gurus would have different answers.

Aum Namasivaya

Cool Re: Lord Muruga

Namaste Eastern Mind,

Yes 'chanting' it was spelling mistake
    But True Guru wll give right answer one need a true Guru

Lalkar: And your definition of true Guru is?

Aum Namasivaya

Thread Information