Thread: Max Müller. A paid agent of the British

Max Müller. A paid agent of the British

Max Müller. A paid employee, who translated the Rigved in a demeaning style. The hidden secrets of his life.

------------------
    1. Max Müller was a British agent, especially employed (in 1847) to write the translations of the Vedas in such a demeaning way so that the Hindus should lose faith in them. His personal letter to his wife dated December 9, 1867 reveals this fact.

2. He was highly paid for this job. According to the statistical information given on page 214 of the “English Education, 1798-1902” by John William Adamson, printed by Cambridge University Press in 1930, the revised scale of a male teacher was £90 per year and for a woman, £60 in 1853. The present salary of a teacher in London is £14,000 to £36,000 per year, which averages a minimum of at least 200 times increase in the last 146 years. Max Müller was paid £4 per sheet of his writing which comes to £800 of today (1999). This is an incredibly high price for only one sheet of writing. But it’s the general law of business, that the price of a commodity increases with its demand. The British were in such an imperative need to get someone to do this job and Max Müller was the right person, so they paid whatever Max Müller asked for. His enthusiastic letter to his mother dated April 15, 1847 reveals this fact.

3. Max Müller’s letters dated August 25, 1856 and December 16, 1868 reveal the fact that he was desperate to bring Christianity into India so that the religion of the Hindus should be doomed.

His letters also reveal that:

4. He lived in poverty before he was employed by the British,

(5) his duplicity in translation was praised by his superiors, and

(6) in London, where he lived, there were a lot of orientalists working for the British.

Letters of Max Müller.
    “The Life and Letters of Friedrich Max Müller.” First published in 1902 (London and N.Y.). Reprint in 1976 (USA).

1. TO HIS WIFE, OXFORD, December 9, 1867.

“…I feel convinced, though I shall not live to see it, that this edition of mine and the translation of the Veda will hereafter tell to a great extent on the fate of India, and on the growth of millions of souls in that country. It is the root of their religion, and to show them what that root is, I feel sure, the only way of uprooting all that has sprung from it during the last 3,000 years.”

2. TO HIS MOTHER, 5 NEWMAN'S ROW, LINCOLN'S INN FIELDS, April 15, 1847.

“I can yet hardly believe that I have at last got what I have struggled for so long… I am to hand over to the Company, ready for press, fifty sheets each year; for this I have asked £200 a year, £4 a sheet. They have been considering the matter since December, and it was only yesterday that it was officially settled.”

“…In fact, I spent a delightful time, and when I reached London yesterday I found all settled, and I could say and feel, Thank God! Now I must at once send my thanks, and set to work to earn the first £100.”

3. To Chevalier Bunsen. 55 St. John Street, Oxford, August 25, 1856.

“India is much riper for Christianity than Rome or Greece were at the time of St. Paul. The rotten tree has for some time had artificial supports… For the good of this struggle I should like to lay down my life, or at least to lend my hand to bring about this struggle. Dhulip Singh is much at Court, and is evidently destined to play a political part in India.”

To the duke of Argyll. Oxford, December 16, 1868.

“India has been conquered once, but India must be conquered again, and that second conquest should be a conquest by education. Much has been done for education of late, but if the funds were tripled and quadrupled, that would hardly be enough… A new national literature may spring up, impregnated with western ideas, yet retaining its native spirit and character… A new national literature will bring with it a new national life, and new moral vigour. As to religion, that will take care of itself. The missionaries have done far more than they themselves seem to be aware of.”

“The ancient religion of India is doomed, and if Christianity does not step in, whose fault will it be?”

4. (a) From the diary of Max Müller. Paris. April 10, 1845.

“I get up early, have breakfast, i.e. bread and butter, no coffee. I stay at home and work till seven, go out and have dinner, come back in an hour and stay at home and work till I go to bed. I must live most economically and avoid every expense not actually necessary. The free lodging is an immense help, for unless one lives in a perfect hole… I have not been to any theatre, except one evening, when I had to pay 2 francs for a cup of chocolate, I thought ‘Never again’.”

(b) To his mother. Paris, December 23, 1845.

“…instead of taking money from you, my dearest mother, I could have given you some little pleasure. But it was impossible, unless I sacrificed my whole future… I have again had to get 200 francs from Lederhose, and with the money you have just sent shall manage till January or February.”

5. On April 17, 1855, Bunsen wrote to thank Max Müller for an article on his
    Outlines.

“You have so thoroughly adopted the English disguise that it will not be easy for any one to suspect you of having written this ‘curious article.’ It especially delights me to see how ingeniously you contrive to say what you announce you do not wish to discuss, i.e. the purport of the theology. In short, we are all of opinion that your cousin was right when she said of you in Paris to Neukomm, that you ought to be in the diplomatic service!”

6. To his mother. September 1, 1847.

“My rooms in London are delightful. In the same house lives Dr. Trithen, an orientalist, whom I knew in Paris, and who was once employed in the Office for Foreign Affairs in St. Petersburg. Then there are a great many other orientalists in London, who are mostly living near me, and we form an oriental colony from all parts of the world… We have a good deal of fun at our cosmopolitan tea-evenings.”

http://www.encyclopediaofauthentichi...max_muller.htm

It was Muller who unleashed the AIT. His intentions were dishonest and motivated by his xianity. He HAD to derogate the great Hinduism. He did.

AIT was comrehensively refuted later on, but its ghost continues to haunt till today. AIT was later replaced by AMT, intentions were still the same: Somehow prove that there is little good in Hindu scripture and whatever little is there can be CREDITED to the foreigner invaders [later migrants]. With such a firm foundation of lies, I wonder Muller's translations should be accepted without a lump of salt. I on my part don't trust him on this count.

Re: Max Müller. A paid agent of the British

I absolutely agree with you.

The British used this as a 'divide & rule' policy.

The sad part is the Indians themselves, the historians, are perpetuating this Aryan invasion myth.

RCSCWC,

In 1878, Max Muller delivered a series of lectures at Oxford University titled "Lectures on the origin and growth of religion." The following quote comes from page 80:

Still more is this the case when we have to form our opinions of the religion of the Hindus and Persians. We have their sacred books, we have their own recognized commentaries; but who does not know that the decision whether the ancient poets of the Rig-Veda believed in the immortality of the soul, depends sometimes on the right interpretation of a single word, while the question whether
    Page 81:
    the author of the Avesta admitted an original dualism, an equality between the principle of Good and Evil, has to be settled in some cases on purely grammatical grounds?
    Let me remind you of one instance only. In the hymn of the Rig-Veda, which accompanies the burning of a dead body, there occurs the following passage (x. 16, 3):
    “May the eye go to the sun, the breath to the wind,
    Go to heaven and to the earth, as it is right;
    Or go to the waters, if that is meet for thee,
    Rest among the herbs with thy limbs.

The unborn part—warm it with thy warmth,
    May thy glow warm it and thy flame!
    With what are thy kindest shapes, O Fire,
    Carry him away to the world of the Blessed.”
    This passage has often been discussed, and its right apprehension is certainly of great importance. Aga means unborn, a meaning which easily passes into that of imperishable, immortal, eternal. I translate ago bhaagah by the unborn, the eternal part, and then admit a stop, in order to find a proper construction of the verse. But it has been pointed out that aga means also goat, and others have translated—‘The goat is thy portion.’ They also must admit the same kind of aposiopesis, which no doubt is not very frequent in Sanskrit. It is perfectly true, as may be seen in the Kalpa-Sutras, that sometimes an animal of the female sex was led after the corpse to the pile, and was burnt with the dead body. It was therefore called the Anustarani, the covering. But, first of all, this custom is not general, as it probably would be, if it could be shown to be
    Page 82:
    founded on a passage of the Veda. Secondly, there is actually a Sutra that disapproves of this custom, because, as Kaatyaayana says, if the corpse and the animal are burnt together, one might in collecting the ashes confound the bones of the dead man and of the animal. Thirdly, it is expressly provided that this animal, whether it be a cow or a goat, must always be of the female sex. If therefore we translate—“The goat is thy share!” we place our hymn in direct contradiction with the tradition of the Sutras. There is a still greater difficulty. If the poet really wished to say, this goat is to be thy share, would he have left out the most important word, viz. thy. He does not say, the goat is thy share, but only “the goat share.”
    However, even if we retain the old translation, there is no lack of difficulties, though the whole meaning becomes more natural. The poet says, first, that the eye should go to the sun, the breath to the air, that the dead should return to heaven and earth, and his limbs rest among the herbs. Everything therefore that was born, was to return whence it came. How natural then that he should ask what would become of the unborn, the eternal part of man. How natural that after such a question there should be a pause, and that then the poet should continue—Warm it with thy warmth! May thy glow warm it and thy flame! Assume thy kindest form, O Fire, and carry him away to the world of the Blessed! Whom? Not surely the goat; not even the corpse, but the unborn, the eternal part of man.

Namaskar!

Its amazing how the people of India, well a vast majority of them, don't see through the bull that the British and the invading Islamic forces changed and corrupted. Today we have these people on a pedestal in India.

New Delhi has Max Muller marg dedicated to him for all the changes he made plotting against India's Vedic culture. Central New Delhi has a big building dedicated to his name the Max Muller House, where there is a library and some German language course are held besides some other activities.

Jai ho Bharat!! Tum Mahan ho!!

Yogkriya

I was thinking a bit about this the other day.

In the West, most academics have discarded, or at least shed doubt upon, the Aryan Invasion Theory. Most Westerners don't learn much of anything about Indian history until college, if any at all. And it is there, at college, where we first hear about the AIT, and its associations with Hitler and the Nazis...and we laugh about it and move on.

But of course, in India, the history of India is taught from an early age, and there are teachers all over the country who were brought up with the AIT, and who continue to promote the AIT. Frankly, the only way that it's going to be gotten rid of is by government intervention. And the sad thing is...it will probably take Western academics like Frawley and Koenraad Elst making a fuss before the government finally listens to reason.

I also wish that the Indian government would attempt more international outreach regarding archaeological and historical issues. For example, in the West, I can learn all about ancient Egyptian archaeology and history by turning on the TV. Every single day, there are many shows devoted to this issue, most of which are created under the watchful eye of Egyptian archaeologist Dr. Zahi Hawass.

But if you want to learn about ancient India, or watch anything other than "travel" documentaries? Good luck. We need an Indian version of Dr. Hawass. B.B. Lal's recent scholarship would make for some really exciting and amazing documentaries...just as an example.

Maybe one day, I'll see if I can raise enough money for my film-production company to go make such documentaries.

Vannakkam: You are so correct, Bryon. I was reading an article in "The Hindu" where the theme was 'we are all immigrants' regarding India itself, and credence was given to the tribals as the aboriginals of India. The suggested difference between east and west (North America) was that in the east the immigrants are as old as 10 000 years whilst in the west it is more like 400 years. Of course it was all speculation by archeologists and scholars. Who really knows what may have happened 10 000 years ago? But obviously the Dravidian cultures either arose from the area itself or came from somewhere else. The article then implied that late invasions (read AIT) happened to further influence the area. So at least from that article, AIT is still accepted within India... unfortunately

Aum Namasivaya

Good observations. Documentary channels do not focus enough on history of India.

There are two nice television series that I know of on Indian tv about the Indian history, one is Chanakya Pandit and the other is Jhansi ki Rani. I have not seen much of the latter, but my parents are addicted to it. I have Chanakya Pandit on DVD set.

http://www.apnicommunity.com/jhansi-ki-rani/index29.html

Bhag Bhag phirangi Bhag!
    Last edited by Sahasranama; 16 January 2011 at 02:44 PM.

I'm currently halfway through watching a PBS documentary entitled The Story of India.

There is some great stuff in it, including interviews with B.B. Lal...but it still promotes the AIT, and doesn't even MENTION that many people think it's absurd, OR that there are any other possible interpretations! Arrgh!

At least that was all in episode 1, so hopefully I won't be angered by any episodes to come.

9. Cool Re: Max Müller. A paid agent of the British

For the old time the British rule of AIT was to divide North and South, they also used it on General and Scheduled castes

Now CM and Jihadis are using it for Every caste, they join caste based sites and promote that they were the victims, they oppose Hinduism and Hindu Icons in every way. And most of the Hindu hearts, with casteless view don't go and check, it is better for learned Hindu Warriors they should go to their caste sites and oppose anything anti Hindu in it.
    [CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=7][COLOR=Yellow] ॐ[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [/CENTER]

More information about Max Mueller:
    "Fundamentals of Indology wrong" , "Max Mueller a Swindler" - Interview with Prof Prodosh Aich
    http://haindavakeralam.com/HKPage.aspx?PageID=11325
    रतà¥à¤¨à¤¾à¤•à¤°à¤§à¥Œà¤¤à¤ªà¤¦à¤¾à¤‚ हिमालयकिरीटिनीमॠ।
    बà¥à¤°à¤¹à¥à¤®à¤°à¤¾à¤œà¤°à¥à¤·à¤¿à¤°à¤°à¤¤à¥à¤¨à¤¾à¤¢à¥à¤¯à¤¾à¤‚ वनà¥à¤¦à¥‡ भारतमातरमॠ॥

To her whose feet are washed by the ocean, who wears the Himalayas as her crown, and is adorned with the gems of rishis and kings, to Mother India, do I bow down in respect.

--viShNu purANam

Thread Information